• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Straight-thru valves: does it matter ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Straight-thru valves: does it matter ? Reply with quote

So I'm a comeback player and don't really know much about much. Playing T-4 in a community big band, and we have 3 or 4 songs that say "flugel optional", and I'm like "sure, sounds like more fun than picking which mute to use".

So I picked up one of those $200 Chinese disposable flugels, just because. And it's OK, but I think there are intonation issues beyond...well...me. There, I said it. Durability wasn't an issue - I bought it because I...well, because at that price it didn't really matter, it was worth the risk. And it's fine for what I'm doing with it now.

But I'm already starting to hanker for a better horn for the few times I'll play it, and I'm pretty clear that I can't justify more than about $600-800. I can afford more, I just can't justify it.

The above stated just to be transparent about my point of view.

And I'm looking at these used Getzen's, and I see their "straight through valve" configuration, and I'm wondering if that's hype, or if there's a real benefit ? The used ones are certainly in my price range (in which case the Chinese horn would go to a school/youth program).

I'm also thinking about the Austin doubler, or pouncing on a used Yamaha if presented with the right opportunity. Which, I'm not really asking about those comparatively, just wondering if the Getzen valve config is BS or not.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be pretty common in flugels, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I guess it's because people like their flugel sound funky and uncentred. Yes, it's better when all the valves are up, because the tube goes straight through. One valve down is OK. Two valves down is mediocre. All three is garbage. It seems less problematic than if you did this on a trumpet, but there is a reason you have never seen a trumpet that has this.

As an added bonus, some makers don't stamp valve numbers on the pistons, and they all look exactly the same. Super!

I've not played a Getzen flugel (although I have played other flugels with this "feature") but I have heard bad things. Obviously there are people who like this configuration, but I would just try before you buy. Maybe it won't bug you.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My working hypothesis at this point is that people like the sound of French flugels, except they suck to play.

German flugels are easy to play but no one knows what they sound like.

I know this is weak, but my high school owned Noblet flugels and they were no harder to play then my grandfather's trumpet.

I personally don't think a flugel should sound fluffy, nor a cornet, but there are people who do.

As for any "straight through" kinda thing, it's a resonant system, you could tie it in a knot, it wouldn't matter.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm hearing this called "Horsefeathers", at least as far as falling in love with it for no other reason than it kinda looks neat and appeals to the orthogonally minded. Whatever effect it has on the playing, or the sound, which might be non-zero and therefore, real, is negligent compared to the effect on the mind of the buyer.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
OK, so I'm hearing this called "Horsefeathers", at least as far as falling in love with it for no other reason than it kinda looks neat and appeals to the orthogonally minded. Whatever effect it has on the playing, or the sound, which might be non-zero and therefore, real, is negligent compared to the effect on the mind of the buyer.

It's all you, brother.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm probably being thick, but I don't really understand.

I have only owned one flugel, my Bach 183.

The lead pipe and tubes through the valves are in a straight line, and when cleaning, you can clean straight through.

How please does this differ from the Getzen flugels, or does my flugel horn also have this feature?

Many Thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou --

I believe the Bach shares that particular "feature."
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In newer designs, the Phaeton flugelhorn also has the straight-through flow. It's actually a very nice horn for the price.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "valve configurations" commonly used for flugels refers to either those with horizontal tubes (like a trumpet) or those with vertical tubes. I believe this relates to valves that are "top sprung" or "bottom sprung" respectively, but I don't think it's synonymous. "Student" horns often have the horizontal tubes like a trumpet and most pro horns have vertical tubes. The Getzen Capri (economy model) is horizontal and the Getzen Eterna (pro model) is vertical.

In my limited experience the the horizontal configuration plays a little more trumpet like making it an easier transition but the sound isn't quite as satisfying.

I'm seeing a little about some horns with "unique direct airflow design through the valve casings" but I'm not sure that's a particularly important detail particularly in a cost effective horn.

Here's a good source for info on pro (not intermediate or student) flugels.
http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Flugelhorn%20Guide.html

Also check out he Dillon horns for economical new horns that get routinely positive reviews.
http://www.dillonmusic.com/c-774-dillon-flugel-horns.aspx
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight-thru valves: does it matter ? Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
... and I'm like "sure, sounds like more fun than picking which mute to use"...

The answer is - a bucket mute.

I was initially confused about your original question. Some flugelhorns (Kanstul and Leblanc to name two, make certain valve blocks for their flugelhorns with straight through tubing between pistons (this is what I initially thought you meant). But I now realize (after reading some responses) you're referring to certain student model flugelhorns with straight first and third tuning slides.

Regardless of what you decide to do, IMHO, you should not consider any flugelhorn with a .460 bore (which many of these student models are). As you improve, you'll discover how truly tubby and awkward they are. These larger bore flugelhorns are also harder to play in tune.

Stick with a flugelhorn with a bore size of .433 or smaller - you'll be happier in the long run.

Just my 2¢ worth. ...

pinstriper wrote:
... But I'm already starting to hanker for a better horn for the few times I'll play it, and I'm pretty clear that I can't justify more than about $600-800. I can afford more, I just can't justify it. ...

In your price range, I would opt for one of these (a 'used' one):

http://www.wwbw.com/Jupiter-846-Series-Bb-Flugelhorn-483656-i1439973.wwbw#used

or one of these:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/acb-doublers-flugel/

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill? .460 bore flugel that will kick the butt of most:

Oh no! Straight valve slides!

Please beware, people stumble across wildly wonderful vintage instruments you've never heard of.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight-thru valves: does it matter ? Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
I was initially confused about your original question. Some flugelhorns (Kanstul and Leblanc to name two, make certain valve blocks for their flugelhorns with straight through tubing between pistons (this is what I initially thought you meant). But I now realize (after reading some responses) you're referring to certain student model flugelhorns with straight first and third tuning slides.

No, you had it right the first time. I was wondering about the tubes in the valve block.

Quote:
In your price range, I would opt for one of these (a 'used' one):

http://www.wwbw.com/Jupiter-846-Series-Bb-Flugelhorn-483656-i1439973.wwbw#used

or one of these:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/acb-doublers-flugel/

The ACB doubler was already on my radar. I've seen mixed reviews of the Jupiter brand, but I'll be open minded.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
The only "valve configurations" commonly used for flugels refers to either those with horizontal tubes (like a trumpet) or those with vertical tubes. I believe this relates to valves that are "top sprung" or "bottom sprung" respectively, but I don't think it's synonymous. "Student" horns often have the horizontal tubes like a trumpet and most pro horns have vertical tubes. The Getzen Capri (economy model) is horizontal and the Getzen Eterna (pro model) is vertical.

In my limited experience the the horizontal configuration plays a little more trumpet like making it an easier transition but the sound isn't quite as satisfying.

I'm seeing a little about some horns with "unique direct airflow design through the valve casings" but I'm not sure that's a particularly important detail particularly in a cost effective horn.

Here's a good source for info on pro (not intermediate or student) flugels.
http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Flugelhorn%20Guide.html

Also check out he Dillon horns for economical new horns that get routinely positive reviews.
http://www.dillonmusic.com/c-774-dillon-flugel-horns.aspx

I was talking about the connections between the valve casings, where it is a straight path when all the valves are open.

I'll keep the Dillon in mind. If I have any business buying a flugel - and I'm not saying I do - I certainly have no need for anything more than an intermediate horn anyway.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't think that's the question at all.

A Getzen flugel:

For comparison, a Yamaha:

On the Getzen, the leadpipe, the tubing between the valve casings, and the tubing exiting the valve block are all in a straight line. On the Yamaha, they're all staggered. I think this is what the O/P is asking about.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
On the Getzen, the leadpipe, the tubing between the valve casings, and the tubing exiting the valve block are all in a straight line. On the Yamaha, they're all staggered. I think this is what the O/P is asking about.

Yes, that's correct. Much better explanation than mine, and waaay less lazy with the pics to illustrate. Thanks !
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Bill? .460 bore flugel that will kick the butt of most:

Oh no! Straight valve slides!

Please beware, people stumble across wildly wonderful vintage instruments you've never heard of.

Tom

Yes, yes, I know. There are always exceptions, of course. My apologies for over generalizing. I was simply speaking out of my own experience.

As far as the position of the slides, I could care less. Some years back, Schilke released a flugelhorn in such a configuration and, while it generally wasn't well received, some say it was quite exceptional.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper

- Yogi Berra
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight-thru valves: does it matter ? Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:

pinstriper wrote:
No, you had it right the first time. I was wondering about the tubes in the valve block.

The straight through designs are said to provide a more even airflow. I've owned horns with both configurations, but I have no idea what practical advantage this feature might have.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper

- Yogi Berra
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Besson Brevete Flugelhorn and 925 Flugelhorn w/ Copper Bell (both manufactured by Kanstul) has the straight through valve configuration and they are the best playing and sounding Flugelhorns I have ever played after play testing MANY over (30)+ years.

It is also important to note that Kanstul's 1525...that many pros believe is THE Flugelhorn...also has the straight through valve configuration.

Based on the (3) data points above; I can only assume the straight through valve configurations has an impact...exactly on what (playability and/or sound) I'm not smart enough to know however, it is interesting how all (3) of these great horns make use of this configuration...

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Straight-thru valves: does it matter ? Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
...No, you had it right the first time. I was wondering about the tubes in the valve block.

My bad. Sorry for introducing the confusion.

FWIW I feel my Yamaha 731 easily out plays my particular Getzen Eterna.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
Lou --

I believe the Bach shares that particular "feature."

Hi

Thank you very much for clarifying this. My Bach 183 does have the leadpipe, tubes between the valves and the leadpipe exit, all in a straight line, like on the Getzen. Very good pictures showing this.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: