• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Becoming a professional without a music degree

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCEjazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Becoming a professional without a music degree Reply with quote

I'm interested in becoming a professional musician and previously assumed I needed a music degree but now I'm not so sure.

My private teacher wanted me to get a feel for what professional gigs were like so he recently invited me to sub with his big band. On the gig I met several local pros who told me that a lot of them don't even have music degrees.

So now I'm wondering if its plausible to make a living off music even without going to music school. I'm thinking that I can keep on taking private lessons from local musicians and try to pick up gigs until I become good enough to make a living off music. This way I can study a technical trade at a trade school so I have something to fall back on in case music doesn't work out.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The future is bright for electrical engineering, software development and robotics and other such fields. There are a whole bunch of careers out there that will be obsolete. Having music be a hobby or fun job on the side makes a lot of sense. Why not align yourself with the future?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no requirement that you have a music degree. The issue is that it is simply more difficult to learn what you need to learn if you're not in music school. Getting to a professional level is about more than taking lessons, and that's certainly not the only thing you'd do in music school. Perhaps most importantly, it's unlikely that you'll find as many performance opportunities (and particularly educationally helpful performance opportunities) outside of music school as in it. That's particularly true if you're not even contemplating enrolling in a university -- while some schools may allow non-majors to participate in ensembles, few will allow that for non-majors.

My observation would be that there are fewer and fewer working musicians who don't have at least some post-secondary education. There is simply too little paying work (and too much highly-skilled competition for it) to just learn on the job any more.

The problem with trying to pursue a career in music at the same time as you learn a trade is that you will be competing for gigs against people who weren't doing that. While you are making a safety net, they are learning not to fall off in the first place.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a degree gives you more opportunities in the future... like maybe you can teach adjunct trumpet lessons at the community college. Gotta have that degree! Maybe you want health insurance... get a job somewhere with benefits, then having a degree will be better for you. (get it in education, not performance... or, in computer science/engineering/nursing!)

It's true, if you can play your butt off and develop a great reputation then no one cares if you have a degree... but there more choices on the table if you have a degree in something.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and you have to be honest with yourself. Are you dodging school because you are looking for an easy way out? For the most part, with or without school, the work load's the same - just distributed a little differently.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Pro without degree Reply with quote

In the 1930's, 40's and 50's there were so many gigs that it was possible to develop as an apprentice into a pro. Now the training ground is in colleges, universities and conservatories with strong music departments. Even in the 60's and '70's the name bands were pulling their musicians out of schools like North Texas and Eastman. The truth is that there are fewer gigs ad more qualified players. The degree itself isn't as important as being in a scene where you can get good instruction, get playing experience, make contacts, and expose yourself to serious competition. Another route would be a military band.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a degree in something you can work as a temp, such as accounting. Play the gigs and when you need some money go to the temp agency. Beats waiting tables.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that I get better by working (playing) with musicians that are better than me. In school that's easy to find. Especially the first year. Out playing gigs I've found that they don't want the weak guy. You can work your way up but, it's slow.

In school you can suck on a performance and learn from it. The same in the working world but, you won't get called back. In school you get another shot because it's expected that you're learning.

You don't go to school for the piece of paper. You go to learn and the paper is the result.

I left school to play full time. It lasted about 6 months and I never went back to school and stopped playing for a long time.
trackday
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I will NEVER be as good as you at playing trumpet, but I can spell. Trumet? on your first link.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trackday wrote:
Joe, I will NEVER be as good as you at playing trumpet, but I can spell. Trumet? on your first link.

That's funny. I never noticed and just now had trouble finding it. I didn't make that page and have no idea how to access it, never mind fix it. Another reason to stay in school.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming a professional without a music degree Reply with quote

TCEjazz wrote:
I'm interested in becoming a professional musician and previously assumed I needed a music degree but now I'm not so sure.

I met several local pros who told me that a lot of them don't even have music degrees.

So now I'm wondering if its plausible to make a living off music even without going to music school.

It was common in last generations to get a trade while trying to become a pro musician. In those days, there was also MAN more gigs, live music was common, and degrees in music performance not as easily available to the common joe. So you certainly have a go, work hard, do the right things on gigs and get asked back.

BUT...

While there is no doubt one can still go down this path, but you need to remember that there are many more graduates, who have not only practiced to be good enough to do those gigs, but learned a whole lot more about music that you are not going to know, despite every good intention. It is possibly that you won't even realise what you are lacking. They have an edge, and this may help them get the gigs you miss out on.

This is just one of the reasons why degrees can help one prepare to be a pro player. They are not the only path, but are certainly a valid one to try.

Best of luck!

cheers

Andy
markchuvala
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music schools for the most part are jive.

Most of what is being "taught" can be learned on your own, or through private teachers, and experience.

You DO get a lot of playing experience in ensembles you might not get on the street.

You DO get to make contacts, and that helps with getting "in the scene"

You DO get a chance to practice as much as you want, and it helps having direction from teachers and peers.

You DO NOT need a degree to get gigs.
You DO NOT need a degree for auditions
You DO NOT need a degree to be a great player.

You DO NOT need to go to a school for $50,000 a year
You DO NOT need to get yourself into insane debt to end up scrambling just to make rent and eat.

If you want to pursue a school, try your best to get a scholarship, or attend a State school.

Try and take some music business classes, and ethics classes.
Make sure you ask TONS of questions about how to make a living as a working musician.

Aim high, be humble, and work hard
Best of luck
Mark
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming a professional without a music degree Reply with quote

TCEjazz wrote:

So now I'm wondering if its plausible to make a living off music even without going to music school.

I really don't think so. There may be the exceptional case here and there, but generally the answer is NO. But the answer is also NO if you go to music school. I know a lot of players with music degrees who also have a day job in order to make "a living".
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a traditional job that pays a living salary with benefits the answer is almost 100 % yes, you will need a degree. Teaching K-12 and college requires it. It's tough to get the practical experience you need to compete for full time orchestras and military bands outside of a high quality, structured program. So many local bands and orchestras play well, but don't have the same standards as truly professional groups. You may be getting some playing experience and make a few bucks, but it may not rise to the level of pre-professional training offered at many of the better schools. There are notable exceptions, but everyone of those exceptions got the equivalent training somehow.

Last edited by rockford on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming a professional without a music degree Reply with quote

TCEjazz wrote:
On the gig I met several local pros who told me that a lot of them don't even have music degrees.

If by "pros" you mean trumpet players who earn a living just playing, wow. I'd be surprised if there are several of those in my entire state, degree or not.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming a professional without a music degree Reply with quote

jscahoy wrote:
TCEjazz wrote:
On the gig I met several local pros who told me that a lot of them don't even have music degrees.

If by "pros" you mean trumpet players who earn a living just playing, wow. I'd be surprised if there are several of those in my entire state, degree or not.

Ditto. There are local "pros" and there are real pros, those who live and eat by the money they make playing trumpet. Best bet for anyone today, unless they are truly at the top of the trumpet heap already is as Richard III, billyb and Rockford have already written.

I live in an area about a third of the year where there are a lot of performance majors sent out with a bachelor's degree. Many of them come back a few years later after getting some sort of grad degree elsewhere and finish another bachelor's in education at their undergrad. They've spent a ton and are deep in debt and still have no ability to earn a living within their degree field. Be careful and get some good, outside and unbiased counseling regarding your ability and prowess in the real world. Good luck.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer depends on what kind of pro player you strive to be. To get into a regional or major orchestra, Music School is the way to go. The odds of achieving the level of playing to win an audition in a major orchestra is similar to winning a job in the NFL or NBA for a PhysEd major.

To become a commercial player music school is not quite as important but still a great asset. The problem here is the consolidation of work in only a few major markets done by only a handful of trumpet players.

I think going to trade or tech school is a great idea. Then find a great pro teacher and practice your butt off.

Best of luck.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Frosk
Jon Faddis
Rick Baptist
Wayne Bergeron
Warren Luening
Cat Anderson
Clark Terry
Doc Severinsen
Harry James
Roger Ingram
Wynton Marsallis
Bobby Shew
etc.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the above had/have a college degree. Some, like Wynton, attended for a short while.

Play like them...ya don't need a degree. But then again - you wouldn't be on this forum asking about this topic.

Go to college. Get a degree in something OTHER than music so that you have something solid to fall back upon. Pursuing a different degree won't preclude you from taking music classes or performing in ensembles.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
John Frosk
Jon Faddis
Rick Baptist
Wayne Bergeron
Warren Luening
Cat Anderson
Clark Terry
Doc Severinsen
Harry James
Roger Ingram
Wynton Marsallis
Bobby Shew
etc.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the above had/have a college degree. Some, like Wynton, attended for a short while.

Play like them...ya don't need a degree...

Of course, all of the above started their careers more than 30 years ago. Back in the day (say when I graduated from high school in the '70s) if you were musically ready you could go on the road with Woody, or Buddy, or Basie, or Stan, or Glenn Miller (ghost band), or Tommy Dorsey (ghost band) or... Or you could play dinner theater pits or you could play with a pop/rock/funk horn band. You could land a gig, learn on the job, develop a professional network and reputation while you continued to practice on the side to broaden your skills. Today, many if not most of these opportunities are gone OR THEY AREN'T ENTRY LEVEL GIGS like they were a few decades back. Today the analogous entry level gigs (for example, cruise ships) hire the vast majority of their new young musicians from among the best students at the top music schools. That's where most of the young cats are and that's where you will meet your future co-workers.

Of course, there are always a very few who will be exceptions to the rule. How many LeBrons are there? But in general music school is the only reliable way to get into the profession for most people today. You might not need a degree, but you'll know that better once you're in music school.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from Tim!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: