• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Becoming a professional without a music degree

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
A few people are always going to have that "star" capability where greatness comes easy and the rest of us will have to work at it with varying degrees of success. Doesn't seem fair but, either way, someone has to put whatever time is required to get the results.

There's a term for those whose star rises quickly, "fast burner". At some point early on, I realized that I was a "slow burner". I accepted that, but determined that, if it took longer than the next guy to achieve the same things, then that what I'd do. And I did. And it worked.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
I know lots of people that totally sucked when they were in school and have burgeoning careers now, in NYC no less. I mean, they were AWFUL.

Natural talent is not a part of the equation. Is it useful? Sure, but it's not a requisite. Hard work is.

100% spot on. In the long run who has "talent" early on is virtually irrelevant.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Freelance brain surgeon is my fallback. Capt.Kirk has already taken advantage of my services!

Lobotomy?

(Sorry, but it was there. Devil made me do it.)

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have to have a frontal lobotomy..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enjoyed reading the many well considered posts in this thread. It would make good reading for any high school grad considering going to college. I really don't directly that much about getting a music degree, but I think that much of the discussion might also apply to a profession in graphic, fashion and industrial design or maybe even architectural design.

I guess my question would be, how valuable is the college experience itself to a young person? Most people will not work in the profession they got a degree in and in fact will wind up doing something very different.

Assuming you don't go broke, is it worth getting a university degree just for the chance to meet lots of people and the overall college experience?
Holton Stratodyne-circa 1950's
Holton Al Hirt
Yamaha 2310 Flugel, Wedge, GR etc.
http://www.homedesignarchitects.com
danambro8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Lee wrote:
I have enjoyed reading the many well considered posts in this thread. It would make good reading for any high school grad considering going to college. I really don't directly that much about getting a music degree, but I think that much of the discussion might also apply to a profession in graphic, fashion and industrial design or maybe even architectural design.

I guess my question would be, how valuable is the college experience itself to a young person? Most people will not work in the profession they got a degree in and in fact will wind up doing something very different.

Assuming you don't go broke, is it worth getting a university degree just for the chance to meet lots of people and the overall college experience?

As much as I complained about my GE courses at the time, in retrospect they exposed me to a lot of new ideas and perspectives I may not have discovered on my own. I think everyone should have at least some form of well-rounded higher education.

EDIT: Afterall, there are far more people regretting they didn't get a college education than not. There's no such thing as too much information.
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people may not work in the profession they got their degree in, but there are a lot of jobs that require a degree. Line manager at FedEx requires a degree, doesn't matter which subject. A lot of retail stores require their managers to have a degree, doesn't matter which subject. A lot of entry-level jobs at the corporate level, too.

Does it help? I don't know. Walgreens said their degreed managers run higher-profit stores. But at least you need to have basic math and literacy skills to graduate-- high school graduation is no guarantee of that.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that many employers require a degree (of any kind) for some of their supervisory/management positions has to do with the fact that pretty much any 4yr degree (or above) indicates that the candidate is an "educated person". It also indicates that the candidate had the resolve to stick to something and complete it. Most college experiences do require the person to (a) figure out what they have to do to graduate (not necessarily easy), (b) come up with a plan of study that will get them there, and (c) handle numerous twists and turns along the way (such as cancelled classes and pre-requisites that are degree requirements) and then re-plan their coursework to accomplish the goal. The whole process is a series of hurdles that an individual has to navigate successfully to reach the objective (in this case obtain the degree). It is a rarity for someone to go to college and have smooth sailing the whole way through. Hence, the attainment of the degree is a sign that the person is able to stick to it and be nimble enough to handle unknown issues that may arise. These are qualities that are generally desired in the workplace. Not to say that a non-degreed person would not have these qualities as well (maybe moreso), but they lack the paper proof of their accomplishment. If you have seen the movie "the paper chase", you know that it was not about learning the law; it was about "learning how to think". Remember the line? In todays world, if you have a degree, and to get this comment back on point, a music degree, it proves that the person had enough "juice" to obtain the piece of paper and this means something to people. You may not get the opportunity to go in and "blow away" an audition panel unless your resume includes a degree. Not so much in the past, but now usually this is the case - especially for newcomers with scant performance credits to their name.
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread, and I do think it is one of the most interesting, longest lasting (without severely devolving) threads to be on the th in quite a while. Well done all, lots of interesting and well presented opinions and ideas. I've enjoyed reading them. That said, I have one more thing to contribute. Regarding education being a more stable option than performance....at least where I live I'd have to disagree. I live in PA, which I am aware of is not the best state to be a teacher in (at least until we get rid of our current governor), there are many states better for teaching than pa for teaching, and many in the same boat or worse. So take this opinion with a grain of salt depending on your location. For me, and many other self employed musicians, only performing is not an option. There just aren't enough gigs near me to make that work. I have to gig, teach lessons, do repairs, write and arrange and whatever else I can do to pay my bills. That means a lot of work, but more irons in the fire also means I am less dependent on any one of them to pay my bills. If all the gigs drop off for a while, I have my other jobs to pick up the slack....from the viewpoint of somebody working a 9-5 job, I'm sure my lifestyle looks pretty unsteady. It is actually much more reliable than you might think, just because I have so many things going at any given time. Another thing to look at is job security. Here in pa I know many teachers, especially music teachers that have been furlowed and rehired just about every year for the past 5 years. Many of them end a school year not knowing if they will have a job the next year, or if they should start looking elsewhere. That is not a stable lifestyle. These teachers are being laid off for budget reasons, it has nothing to do with how good at their jobs they are. On the other hand, nobody can fire me, I work for myself. Music stores and clients and bandleaders could choose to stop doing business with me if they wanted to, but those decisions would directly be related to my performance. I control my fate. If I do a good job, I will get called again. There are no "higher ups" who are looking at my name on a budget and deciding my fate without knowing me. Do I make as much money as a teacher? Somtimes, I don't know exactly what teachers average salaries around the country are, but I'm not broke. Benefits? I'm on my own, but I've got it figured out. Retirement? I may never retire, but I love what I do, and nothing I do should be limited by age. But as far as security and stability, I'm secure. I decide my fate, and that's worth something.
www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
Al's Music Shop
Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not go through every post but I only see my post referencing trade/tech school. The OP is thinking about going to trade/tech school. Both my father and father-in-law were journeymen pipe fitters. Many of my friends work in the trades. They all make more money than music teachers even in Metro-Detroit which has relatively high salaries. Entry level teaching jobs have very little job security anymore especially in music. There is a need for technically trained trade persons in this country.

I "retired" after four (4) years of public school music teaching to play trumpet full time and pursue my trade as a woodworker/designer. I have always been my own boss except for SWAMBO. I did do some hard time as a union boss but I was totally in charge of my destiny there.

So, have a backup plan like trade school and play trumpet until the money runs out!!
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
The reason that many employers require a degree (of any kind) for some of their supervisory/management positions has to do with the fact that pretty much any 4yr degree (or above) indicates that the candidate is an "educated person". It also indicates that the candidate had the resolve to stick to something and complete it. Most college experiences do require the person to (a) figure out what they have to do to graduate (not necessarily easy), (b) come up with a plan of study that will get them there, and (c) handle numerous twists and turns along the way (such as cancelled classes and pre-requisites that are degree requirements) and then re-plan their coursework to accomplish the goal. The whole process is a series of hurdles that an individual has to navigate successfully to reach the objective (in this case obtain the degree). It is a rarity for someone to go to college and have smooth sailing the whole way through. Hence, the attainment of the degree is a sign that the person is able to stick to it and be nimble enough to handle unknown issues that may arise. These are qualities that are generally desired in the workplace. Not to say that a non-degreed person would not have these qualities as well (maybe moreso), but they lack the paper proof of their accomplishment. If you have seen the movie "the paper chase", you know that it was not about learning the law; it was about "learning how to think". Remember the line? In todays world, if you have a degree, and to get this comment back on point, a music degree, it proves that the person had enough "juice" to obtain the piece of paper and this means something to people. You may not get the opportunity to go in and "blow away" an audition panel unless your resume includes a degree. Not so much in the past, but now usually this is the case - especially for newcomers with scant performance credits to their name.

This is a very accurate and insightful post about college degrees, and education in general, and one for which I am in complete general agreement. I am not a music major and do not play music for a living, so my comments are not about music degrees. However, I have lived a long time and have considerable world and life experience.

There is only one point I would like to add of a more specific nature. It is just an additional view that I have about education and college degrees in the contemporary and future world.

I believe that with increasing frequency, not all degrees offered by colleges and universities have value if we are talking about a connection to the contemporary and future work environment and economy. I think that many degrees one can pursue and go into considerable debt to obtain, lead to absolutely nowhere when it comes to employment applicability and economic value in the job market. Perhaps always the case, but much more so now and in the future. What I think I am seeing in this regard is that the general perception of reality lags considerably behind the pace of change. Things change in the contemporary world much, much faster than many people can adjust to and accept those changes as the so-called "new normal".

The "rules of the game" so to speak, that have connected education to economic opportunity in the past are changing rapidly. In the future, the connection between education and the specific demands of the job market, and whatever that job market will be like, especially as it is driven by high technology circumstances, will be much more important to understand and take into consideration. What I am saying is that the degrees of value will increasingly be those in high technology applications, or fields of work requiring highly advanced technical education. Thus, many college degrees that are not such kinds of majors will be of very little utility, if one aspires to continue make the connections of the past in terms of education/employment to gainful and substantial employment in the economy of the future.

I don't think any of this is new information; it is simply a result of an economy and world increasing its dependance on and utilization of new high technology and advancements therein. This is the required "education" of the future, if one wants to connect education with employment opportunities and conditions.

Thus, people who pursue degrees of little relevance to this reality of the future, such as historically have been liberal arts and fine arts degrees, and perhaps even some general business administration degrees, will probably find it difficult to market and find application of those degrees to circumstances that do not need or value them.

These are simply my opinions and observations about the current trends in the world and economy as I see them; all have a right to their opinion, and thus is mine...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU for using paragraphs.

To others, please use paragraphs instead of one very long block of text. Not everyone on this forum is blessed with eyesight as well as yours. And we ~do~ want to read your posts. Thank you.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:

What I am saying is that the degrees of value will increasingly be those in high technology applications, or fields of work requiring highly advanced technical education.

Increasingly, employers are complaining that they can't find qualified applicants for their positions. It's not that there are no engineers applying for the job... and it's not that there are no electrical engineers applying for the job... and it's not that there are no electrical engineers with experience in networks and controls systems applying for the job... Employers come up with a laundry list of specialized skills that they're looking for and they want off-the-shelf parts with no assembly required.

So go ahead, get your technical degree, and see if you get hired or if they spend eight months to find some guy in Hong Kong and bring him over on an H1-B.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalmason1 wrote:
I've been following this thread, and I do think it is one of the most interesting, longest lasting (without severely devolving) threads to be on the th in quite a while. Well done all, lots of interesting and well presented opinions and ideas. I've enjoyed reading them. That said, I have one more thing to contribute. Regarding education being a more stable option than performance....at least where I live I'd have to disagree. I live in PA, which I am aware of is not the best state to be a teacher in (at least until we get rid of our current governor), there are many states better for teaching than pa for teaching, and many in the same boat or worse. So take this opinion with a grain of salt depending on your location. For me, and many other self employed musicians, only performing is not an option. There just aren't enough gigs near me to make that work. I have to gig, teach lessons, do repairs, write and arrange and whatever else I can do to pay my bills. That means a lot of work, but more irons in the fire also means I am less dependent on any one of them to pay my bills. If all the gigs drop off for a while, I have my other jobs to pick up the slack....from the viewpoint of somebody working a 9-5 job, I'm sure my lifestyle looks pretty unsteady. It is actually much more reliable than you might think, just because I have so many things going at any given time. Another thing to look at is job security. Here in pa I know many teachers, especially music teachers that have been furlowed and rehired just about every year for the past 5 years. Many of them end a school year not knowing if they will have a job the next year, or if they should start looking elsewhere. That is not a stable lifestyle. These teachers are being laid off for budget reasons, it has nothing to do with how good at their jobs they are. On the other hand, nobody can fire me, I work for myself. Music stores and clients and bandleaders could choose to stop doing business with me if they wanted to, but those decisions would directly be related to my performance. I control my fate. If I do a good job, I will get called again. There are no "higher ups" who are looking at my name on a budget and deciding my fate without knowing me. Do I make as much money as a teacher? Somtimes, I don't know exactly what teachers average salaries around the country are, but I'm not broke. Benefits? I'm on my own, but I've got it figured out. Retirement? I may never retire, but I love what I do, and nothing I do should be limited by age. But as far as security and stability, I'm secure. I decide my fate, and that's worth something.

Good for you...I admire what you are doing. I have been a teacher for 26 years; so was my father back in the second half of the 20th century, and the field of education is a vastly different set of circumstances from what it was years ago.

Years ago, people perceived so-called "job security" as a circumstance derived from the employer. Nowadays, you pretty much have to make your own security, and that security lies in what you are able to do, in your willingness and ability to re-invent yourself on an as needed basis, and to adapt and adjust to rapidly changing circumstances.

So good for you, and best wishes.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I known then what I know now, I'd have gone for my history degree, with a minor in music, and gotten enough music credits/education to be able to teach history and band in a high school. That might be enough to protect against being shelved in case of budget cuts.

One of the big advantages of being a music major (or at least minor, and playing in a lot of college bands) is the networking. A lot of the people I gig with nowadays are people I met in college. Some of them are now teachers or professors themselves. All of those are the ones who had both natural talent and the drive to practice a lot.
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:

One of the big advantages of being a music major (or at least minor, and playing in a lot of college bands) is the networking. A lot of the people I gig with nowadays are people I met in college. Some of them are now teachers or professors themselves. All of those are the ones who had both natural talent and the drive to practice a lot.

Just thinking... if not a college degree, the student could at least hang around the college sometimes. Go to student recitals and talk to the musicians, look at notices posted on the walls for playing opportunities, colloquia, and master's classes. It doesn't replace enrolment, but there are still opportunities.
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percivalthehappyboy wrote:
the student could at least hang around the college sometimes. look at notices posted on the walls for playing opportunities.....

Let me save you the trouble:

murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a step father, Ray Pownell, who was a professional trumpet player, and, as far as I know, he never even went to college. During his college age years, he was in the infantry in Europe. Of course, this was over 60 years ago when there were many good small combos traveling the country and playing at clubs. My mother met him while he was playing at my grandmother's night club in Jackson, MS.

One of the many musicians who came through that club was Pete Barbutta (sp) who was with a group from Scranton, PA. called the Millionaires. He later made quite a name for himself as a comic in Las Vegas. He also played a pretty good trumpet, although piano was his primary instrument.

My father also played trumpet, although not professionally. Apparently, my mother had a thing about trumpet players.

Last edited by murph66 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my good friends in college (back in the early '70s) was a fabulous trumpet player. He went on to study with Ghitalla at NEC and got his masters in performance. Just a great player and a great person too. He ended up eventually teaching band in a local HS (not playing in the NYPhil), and he eventually took a job programming computers, which he does to this day. He plays trumpet (exceedingly well) in pro gigs on the side as they arise. Another great player I knew in college went on to be an active professional player, and later became the head of music at a respected music school. Life is totally unpredictable even WITH a degree. So while I do not profess that the OP should or should not get a degree (or trade school certificate), I do believe that one's options in terms of future employment success in music (or any other field) is GREATLY facilitated by having some paper credential to your name. Sure you can find the rare (and almost extinct) cases where a non-credentialed person has become a success, but this is NOT the norm by any means. There's the hard way, and then there's the damn hard way. Take you're pick.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:

This networking aspect is definitely worth considering. I'm a freelance player, and get a good chunk of my work (and this was especially true when I hadn't been out of school for so long) from people I'd been in school with. If you land a big gig straight away, this is less true, but, otherwise, freelance musical life depends in significant part on social relationships and what might be loosely viewed as a system of musical alliances with friends and coworkers. You don't have to have a degree to participate in this, but it sure helps to get a foot in the door.

Also, while you're waiting for that dream gig (along with everyone else), if you look for some private teaching work, you'll be much more competitive and probably highly paid if you have at least a degree, if not more. At least here in Toronto, the average level of education for freelance players entering the market is probably a Master's degree. It's fine and dandy to say that paper qualifications may not matter when you're playing a gig or audition, but you'll often need to convince people who aren't musicians that you're worth the (to them) high price you're quoting, and this is much easier to do when you have some of the kind of credentials that the rest of the world uses to assess accomplishment.

Finally, there has been a lot of emphasis (rightly) placed on the importance of having a good teacher, but, at least to me, that was only one part of the equation. I learned an awful lot (and continue to) from my peers in school. Having a bunch of similarly interested and motivated people around me all the time, in the same classes, going to the same concerts, playing in the same rehearsals, let me see what they were doing right, and what I was doing wrong in ways that lessons didn't always do. This isn't a dig against my teachers - they were good - but simply a reflection of the fact that comparatively few people can learn all the things needed to be a good professional trumpet player on their own, or just from a teacher. Most of us need all the chances we can get to learn the many, and often difficult things that go into doing this the way it has to be done to make a living playing music.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone looking for a career in "classical" performance, I'd like to recommending taking a look at an interesting little film, "Freeway Philharmonic". It won't be a life-changer, but it is a good look into the life many superb, but not first-tier, players have.

http://www.freewayphil.com/

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: