• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke Soundpost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Schilke Soundpost Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions for those of you that use these soundposts. I've been playing tuning bell Schilkes since 1975 but have never used a soundpost. I now play the Schilke Faddis Model and recently I started using the included soundpost and really like the horn with it on.

(1) Are the current Schilke soundposts supposed to be one-piece or two-piece.?

The one that came with my horn is a two-piece model. I tried a Faddis model horn 6-7 years ago and I would swear that it was only one-piece but obviously I could be wrong!!!

(2) With the soundpost attached will it do any harm to the bell if you just leave it on ALL OF THE TIME...or should it be periodically removed then reattached???

(3) Not related to the soundpost but...has anyone tried a Faddis horn with a Faddis tuning slide that has a waterkey on it?? Did it drastically change the horn or not??

Thanks, in advance, for any help/info you can provide me!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch,

My responses are below:

(1) Are the current Schilke soundposts supposed to be one-piece or two-piece.?
I bought a new soundpost this fall and it is 2 piece.

The one that came with my horn is a two-piece model. I tried a Faddis model horn 6-7 years ago and I would swear that it was only one-piece but obviously I could be wrong!!!

(2) With the soundpost attached will it do any harm to the bell if you just leave it on ALL OF THE TIME...or should it be periodically removed then reattached???
I have left my soundpost on my B2L for weeks with no damage. I am cautious to remember to loosen it to move the bell though, and I don't tighten it down so hard that it could damage the bell.

(3) Not related to the soundpost but...has anyone tried a Faddis horn with a Faddis tuning slide that has a waterkey on it?? Did it drastically change the horn or not??
I have not played a Faddis (other than Jon's horn and it is SWEET!) so I can't compare it to one with a waterkey.

Hope that helps somewhat......
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Schilke Soundpost Reply with quote

Usedtobegood

Thanks for your reply...I appreciate it!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sound post that is similar indesign to the Schilke and I would always loosen the contact point off of bell before putting the horn back in the case. I started to do that when I noticed a small indentation forming on the bell.

The good thing about the Schilke (and the minnick) models is that you don't lose the position even with the contact point is loosened. It's a bit more of a challenge to find that same spot with models designed like the kanstul! which doesnt mount to the horn.

[/URL]
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had (and sold) the Faddis horn. My soundpost was two piece, but I do remember the two halves would stick together, maybe yours was stuck as well.

I did have an Amado water key installed on the tuning slide and noticed no difference. In retrospect though, I would not do that again; I've come to believe that making structural changes to a horn that were not part of the original design might not be a good idea.

Brad361
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Sound posts Reply with quote

After working on the DEG trumpets in the eighties some offered with tunable bells, I made the decision on my own Scodwell USA trumpets to abandon the tuning bell concept and selectively place the front brace where it responded best to me when play testing each horn. I still feel that optimizing brace placement delivers the best focus and response in my trumpets and continue this practice on everything I make to this day. Of course in a mass produced situation extensive play testing and selecting individual components one by one is not feasible and a "sound post" would seem to me to be advantageous on the Schilke tuning bell instruments.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind...and Brass and in Freiburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: