• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

carolbrass: good or bad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to try this model
http://www.frequency.com/video/first-impression-of-new-carolbrass/140190534/-/5-788574

A balanced trumpet with a sterling lead pipe , bet it's a player.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
John Alt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4000 C trumpet. I think overall its a great value for the money. It seems to me to have more colors available than the Bach I had used previously (239/25A). It speaks a bit quicker with the rounded tuning slide and can play softer than the Bach. I didn't like the valves at first. I cleaned them frequently and they still were stiff and would occasionally stick. An ultrasonic cleaning helped a lot and the T2 oil works better for me than Ultrapure. I'm struggling a bit with the intonation - 4th line D is right on, Eb and E are a little flat. But below the staff - everything is way flat. I'm planning to work on the gap and maybe trying mpcs with larger throats and orchestral backbores. Maybe its just me but I won't know until I go on a little safari...
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Alt wrote:
I have the 4000 C trumpet. I think overall its a great value for the money. It seems to me to have more colors available than the Bach I had used previously (239/25A). It speaks a bit quicker with the rounded tuning slide and can play softer than the Bach. I didn't like the valves at first. I cleaned them frequently and they still were stiff and would occasionally stick. An ultrasonic cleaning helped a lot and the T2 oil works better for me than Ultrapure. I'm struggling a bit with the intonation - 4th line D is right on, Eb and E are a little flat. But below the staff - everything is way flat. I'm planning to work on the gap and maybe trying mpcs with larger throats and orchestral backbores. Maybe its just me but I won't know until I go on a little safari...

I think the gap is largely to blame.

I had some trouble with the Eb and E at the top of the staff even on the 5060H (Bb). I could tell from the insertion marks on the mouthpieces that they go in about a 1/4 inch less than on my 8310z. I found a Marcinkewocz piece in my draw and that only protrudes about 1/8 of an inch extra. Straight away most of non-player the intonation problems disappeared.
I suspect it's a similar deal with the C-trumpet. Their leadpipes must have a slightly different taper than your typical Yamaha or something?

Really nice instrument, I love the 5060H a whole heap!

The one thing I've found on both the Carols is that it's easier to play quietly. I'm fond of the feel of the rounded slide on both, not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I feel like you are still in control right down to where the sound stops. Very responsive instruments, and have a lot of colours to choose from I think!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far the mouthpieces insert on different trumpets is not an accurate indicator of gap differences. The taper on the receivers is unlikely to be identical and thus if the receiver hasn't been reamed out as much on instrument A the mouthpiece would not insert as far as instrument B.

But the receiver might have been mounted to account for the difference and thus the gaps could be identical.

It could also be true that trumpet B where the mouthpiece inserts farther has a larger gap, again due to where the receiver was mounted.

Then again, you could be absolutely correct.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Then again, you could be absolutely correct.

I admit I really don't know much about this sort of stuff.
Either way, for whatever reason, the Marcinkewicz E3.1 JWM mouthpiece solved several of the intonation problems immediately. I'll just say I'm not sure why - and that if you have any problems with intonation, a mouthpiece change can quite possibly solve it.
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a CTR-5000-YST yesterday here in sunny New Zealand. Not a huge range in stock, but I played a 4000 (intermediate) level model, which had a nice mid-weight Yamaha vibe to it, and is apparently popular as a jazz horn 'round these parts, but not what I was after; had I been, this retails for about a third of the cost of the intermediate Yammies.
I spent a long time playing the horn I ended up with and the custom phosphor bronze (4440, I think) model -- these are night and day (or rather, day and night, respectively), but both great. I had the 5000 sound in my head before I went in, but the bronze horn almost made me change my mind. I could have justified getting both, if trombone weren't my main instrument! I had wanted to compare the 5000 and the 5060; the tech replaced the 4000 leadpipe with the sterling silver one to get something a little closer to the 5060 - I think this would make a very satisfactory all-rounder horn.
I should add that this horn has replaced an entry-level Yamaha (1335 - not sure if this one even exists stateside) which I've played more off than on over the past 10 years, and which even then retailed for a little more than my new baby. To get a horn with this build quality and intonation with 2 tuning slides, a set of lightweight buttons and springs and a really very good case for just a shade over NZD1K. As a comparison, the Shew Yamaha (with which this horn is sometimes compared on this forum) is just over NZD4K. I could have taken both the 5000 and the 4440 home and had $500 change out of that. Insane.
norbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I own a carolbrass CTR-5000L-YST, I'm a newbie but i wanted a good instrument and this one whas in the price range I intedend to spend,
I was considering a yamaha horn then i got an advice about this Product.

The instrument is spectacular, plays really well, you don't have to use too much pressure, comes with a nice case, lightweight knobs, a lighter set of springs, and even with a second tuning slide, the finish is wonderful.

As a new starter i've asked a friend of mine which is a professional player to test it out, his comment about it was that this is a really excellent trumpet for the price, with a really good intonation, and has nothing to envy to steeper priced horns on the market.

I'm really happy with it, in particular i really love the sound.

Cheers
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to try a large 72 style bell ML bore trumpet cheaply and got a Carol 5000L-YLS from Thomann to try, I did not have high expectations of it. It was only £400, a little over $650.

On arrival I stripped it down and cleaned it, replaced the cheap waterkey corks with denser ones and re-assembled it. To my surprise it responded slower than my expensive trumpet but made a lovely fat tone with a very good dynamic range. A week later I could find no reason to justify keeping the expensive horn.

But it got better. The leadpipe gap was rather big, I reamed it in from 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch. Then it played even bigger and faster. The finger buttons seemed heavy so I swapped them for some from Totalbrass de off Ebay and Yamaha top felts instead of the thin brown ones and glue it came with. For me its got more brilliant and fluent. I'm using Hetmans piston oil 2 and that seems as thick as it can take, maybe too thick. The valves are awesome.

I've tried a lot of Carols and I would say beware of the small thin bell, it's incredibly easy to play but it lacks power and projection. This low price offer does not exist in the USA as far as I can tell. I didn't even like the RLM bell, it's the YLS bell for my personal choice. I've always preferred large bells and gravitated towards the heavy B&S trumpets.

I have no idea what brass its built from or how many hours it took to assemble and lacquer, if I shut my eyes it sounds like me playing 10 years ago. Its great fun to own a Carol and not have to worry about it being stolen or knocked over. A friend once fell off a stage and sat on my Schilke B1 - it was repaired to look nice but didn't play very nice anymore.

CarolBrass are great - they're driving the entire trumpet making industry to produce better horns, so good for everyone. Only in 10 years or so when there are enough Carol horns in circulation will we see how well they lasted. Now I can afford to save up and get another one I like to.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent Austin has a lot of great Carol trumpet clips up on his site and youtube. My 500T predecessor to the 5000L was awesome. I damaged it and ended up trading it because Trent gave me a really good deal on another horn I couldn't pass up. The horn felt extremely solid to me and played wonderfully. I would consider getting another one down the line. The 500T and Roger Ingram's Jupiter have been my two favorite horns that I owned. I played a Scodwell for a few minutes awhile back which was just incredible too..Even though I only spent a few min playing it, it stuck in my mind... and I played a Harrelson Summit for a few at a jazz gig..it was an awesome horn... Both the Carol and the Jupiter play better than horns I've owned that were thousands more. The Carol has a more solid 'steel feel' to it than the Ingram which feels like it's just molded more to my whole person. I might get another 5000L down the line or another cool Carol. Actually though..I just received an old Connie 38B in a trade for my Blessing 1580G.. And it tops them all.. They're not for everyone.. I think if you play small, shallow equipment like I do, they are the bomb.. And they are built like TANKS.. And the power of the sound is awesome..incredible core...Yeah, for me, even over the Ingram and 500T is my 70's era Connstellation.. Gotta say, I'm curious about the bronze Carol! Glad to see there are some absolutely great horns out there for a reasonable price.. I play freelance around NYC and tri-state area and wind up leaving my horn in my car when I go in to different places before and after the gig.. That's why I'm not comfortable shelling out much over $1,000 on a full sized horn.. I'd pay big $$ for a pocket though.. You kind of have to if you want something super good.. I have a Carol Blackhawk pocket which is right on par with an old Benge which I sold after I got the Blackhawk. Still, I wouldn't use either for a jazz recording.. they are really good..but don't have the sound of a full size good trumpet...not quite.. might have to shell out the big $$ for a Marcinkiewicz..maybe that Stomvi Forte..it's been getting good press. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex
you should check with your insurance guy and see what can be done with home/renters/car in relation to a horn loss. sometimes the rates are nominal. you will always need a couple of beater horns but can be freed up to get something nicer and not have to worry too much.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck, I forgot about that. Someone was telling me I might be able to put it right on my Geico car insurance I think..
Www.LexSamu.com
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Carolbrass lacquer horns Reply with quote

I have had a Carolbrass 5200-GLT-SLB that I bought new about 1.5 years ago. The lacquer starting coming off when it was about 1 year old. Now at 1.5 years old the lacquer is off around the valves where your hands touch and also when you might grab the leadpipe to pull it out of the case. I would think it should last a lot longer that that. The horn plays very nice but the lacquer should last longer than a year.
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love CarolBrass horns (see my signature) but I did encounter the weak lacquer problem with my first CB purchase, a 506R (now called 5060H I think). Very quickly the lacquer began to flake off even in non-contact areas. I liked the horn so much that I decided to make lemonade and simply stripped the lacquer completely, so now it's my raw brass axe.

I made a point of buying silver-plated CarolBrass horns after that, and I've had no problems with them. I made an exception for my cornet, which is lacquered. For whatever reason, its lacquer job is holding up fine.
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned my 8060H GLS (the balanced model) for three years now and it is only at the bottom of the 3rd valve casing that the lacquer has worn off where I wrap my pinky finger around. Other than this cosmetic issue - no complaints!

Last edited by MacMichael on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BedfordTrumpeter wrote:
I love CarolBrass horns (see my signature) but I did encounter the weak lacquer problem with my first CB purchase, a 506R (now called 5060H I think). Very quickly the lacquer began to flake off even in non-contact areas. I liked the horn so much that I decided to make lemonade and simply stripped the lacquer completely, so now it's my raw brass axe.

I made a point of buying silver-plated CarolBrass horns after that, and I've had no problems with them. I made an exception for my cornet, which is lacquered. For whatever reason, its lacquer job is holding up fine.

Usually lacquer would hold stronger to the brushed surface - is your cornet finished in brushed lacquer?
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Carol Reply with quote

I bought a used/like new 5060 model last fall, with the scratched lacquer, for $750 through Wichita Band store. They had a return policy that I thought for sure I'd using.

Not so. That horn plays amazingly well. The bell is supposed to have a 37-ish flare, but because it's slightly bigger (5") with gold brass, it plays a little bigger and darker. The valves are as good as the Getzens I've tried. The fit and finish on this horn is fantastic, and the compression is ridiculously good.

I don't know what the newer Xenos or Bach's sound like, but that 5060 is one of the most impressive horns I've ever played.
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 9 Carol Brass horns. The latest one is the Dizzy model without the bell option. This is for sure the best Carol Brass trumpet I have owned with amazing valves and compression.

My hobby has been getting horns and playing them for a while and passing them on. Normally there is quite a long period of break in for Carol Brass valves, not so on this latest one which I have listed here for sale. Carol is now recommending La Tromba T 2 valve oil which this trumpet really likes. The Dizzy model almost feels like a Schilke in the hands, pretty lightweight in my opinion. The red brass bell is a Medium weight which at lower volumes speaks rich and vibrant and when pushed above the staff, really sizzles, just a fabulous all around trumpet with the ability to do serious lead charts. I installed the light weight low profile Carol Brass finger buttons for a great feel and slightly lower reach, great for folks with short fingers.

My first 3 Carol horns did have lacquer issues, but none of the latest ones have, I think they fixed the issue of high humidity and lacquer. I also understand that they have done upgrades to the valves and this horn has outstanding valve action with no break in. I have just inspected it and checked it out prior to my listing it for sale.

I have had the opportunity to play many really fine horns over the last 63 years that I have been playing trumpet, Carol Brass are up there with the best of them in my opinion.

Trump
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Usually lacquer would hold stronger to the brushed surface - is your cornet finished in brushed lacquer?

Nope, just a standard polished finish. I certainly handle the cornet less frequently than my trumpets, but still I think it's pretty good evidence that CB improved their lacquering at some point. The horn I ended up stripping is an old-logo 506R, probably manufactured somewhere around 2008-09 or perhaps earlier (sold to me as a demo unit in 2011). The cornet has the new logo and was probably made around 2013. These are rough guesses; I know I could be accurate by checking serials, but I'm lazy.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic, but has anyone tried the Carol Picc?? I'll be in the market for a c trumpet and in picc in the next year or two as I prepare for college
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Con, I do not have a C trumpet yet, but am intrigued by the

Carolbrass CTR-5062H-RLM(D)-C-S

This C trumpet model was apparently designed for Ken Saul -- of Ultrapure valve oil fame. It is a medium weight horn with a rather large 5.31 inch red brass bell, and sterling silver lead pipe... The bell is apparently sufficiently light so not to yield a uniformly dark tone, but lets the red brass respond very much to the player's blow, so to impart a wide palette of colors.

On the other hand, Carol seems to have about a dozen variants, and only a few of them are listed on the Carolbrass site:

http://www.carolbrass.com/product.php?i=114

What characteristics are you seeking in a C trumpet and in a piccolo?

Regards, Guido
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: