• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Appalling trumpet treatment.....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wlindseypoole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Appalling trumpet treatment..... Reply with quote

OK- I realize BerkeleyWind horns are not top of the line, and I cant say how decent for the money they are since I've never tried one. But just for S&G I went to their website and looked at the video of their C/Db trumpet here:

http://www.berkeleywind.com/crazy-trumpet.html

To me the tone was merely fair on the C side, with the range of notes played in the video kind of in tune for the most part. Tone was not very good on the Db side, and the notes throughout the playing seemed consistently out of tune. What really appalled me though, was the players treatment of the horn- primarily the slides for change between keys. What makes it really bad is the fact that this is the company's website. Notice how the guy just flippantly tosses the slides onto the piano keys when he changes them out. Frankly, I would never treat my horn that way, even if it is a low end horn. I dont know about anyone else, but if they're going to treat their own instruments like crap, then to me that kind of treatment tells me they dont care a whole lot about their instruments, and doesnt serve to instill me with confidence in their product. I dont even treat my $50.00 beat to he**....crap.... 2nd hand (probably multiple times over) King 600 with flaking lacquer, minor dents, and a stuck tuning slide that way. Am I wrong in feeling its just indecent to treat a trumpet that way, even if it is a cheap one?
'56 Connstellation 38B
'83 Conn SS3

Wish List
Connstellation 28A
Victor 6B
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Appalling trumpet treatment..... Reply with quote

wlindseypoole wrote:
Am I wrong in feeling its just indecent to treat a trumpet that way, even if it is a cheap one?

Well, there you go. You're confusing a Berkeley Wind (AKA hunk-o-brass) with a trumpet. I would never do that to a trumpet, but it's A.O.K. (in my book) to treat a hunk-o-brass that way.

Probably bad for the piano though.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone need a Db trumpet?

These instruments are the worst of both worlds. Too cheap for a trumpet, too expensive for a lamp.

Kent

Last edited by oxleyk on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
wlindseypoole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for offending real trumpets and trumpet players- you are, of course, right. I was just trying to be generous (overly so). No real trumpet player would ever treat a real trumpet like that. Please forgive me.......
I'm sorry!!!! (*sob*)
'56 Connstellation 38B
'83 Conn SS3

Wish List
Connstellation 28A
Victor 6B
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Excellent" demonstration.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the mistake of watching part of the video.

I'm...... speechless......

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
wlindseypoole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Mike-

I really dont know why I'm laughing- It's not like there was any sarcasm evident in your comment.... Maybe I've just been inhaling too much in the way of valve oil fumes.

I suppose the real questions we should be asking ourselves is......

Which way did he go? Which way did he go? And... Have you seen George?
'56 Connstellation 38B
'83 Conn SS3

Wish List
Connstellation 28A
Victor 6B
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly from what is printed on the man's shirt, he simply does not have the time to be more careful with the instrument.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KansasTrumpet wrote:
Clearly from what is printed on the man's shirt, he simply does not have the time to be more careful with the instrument.

You are talking about the piano I assume. Piano is a fragile instrument that does not deserve such a treatment.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is too bad the Chinese do themselves such a disservice when it comes to directly advertising their brass (as opposed to making them for other people). Consistent QC is still lacking on many of the trumpet models, but they are basically decent instruments which require some tuning and tweaking.

Specifically, I have a Chinese picc which has required valve realignment, filing off burrs inside the tubing near the valves, and rounding of the bell tail. When all of this is finished, it will play quite well. I also have a Berkeley D/Eb trumpet that plays quite well out of the box. Unfortunately, it is not in tune in either Eb or D! A little cutting of the bell tail will fix the problem in Eb and using another bell for D fixes the intonation problems in that key (an Ambassador bell works well for that). The horn is fairly large bore, so it produces a pretty big sound for an Eb. For $250 plus $40 for the Amby bell and a little repair work = a very nice D/Eb, I'm not complaining. The rest of you can go on bashing these horns as long as you like.

It doesn't make much sense to me to trash the horns based on what one idiot salesman does in a video . . .
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Notice how the guy just flippantly tosses the slides onto the piano keys when he changes them out. "

A real test would involve throwing them to the floor.
https://yourbrass.com/
Venturi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable.
Truly ... remarkable.
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...! They just made my top ten list of what not to do in product advertising and marketing. Simply incredible!!!
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Berkely Bb once, had to remove part of the lead pipe because the whole horn was flat with the main slide pushed all the way in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LETHAL DRONE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the more shocking videos I have seen recently...
wlindseypoole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a video of one of those Tiger trumpets- you know the ones that come in all the different colors and look like something I might give to my 2 year old granddaughter. It sounded better and more in tune than the guy playing that Berkeley. Seems kind of shameful, but made me laugh to think about it at the same time.
'56 Connstellation 38B
'83 Conn SS3

Wish List
Connstellation 28A
Victor 6B
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
It doesn't make much sense to me to trash the horns based on what one idiot salesman does in a video . . .

No, it does not, and I am not basing my opinion on the one idiot.

I'm directing my negative comments at Berkeley Wind - after holding one the immediate desire is to wash your hands with a pumice-based soap. After hearing one, you wish you could do the same with your ears, and the BW importer is in my area - do NOT get me started on their other marketing tactics.

Then again, your comments about what you had to do to make yours playable aren't exactly a strong recommendation. Paraphrasing slightly, I read "It should be fine after I fixed the valves, the bell, and the tubing."

Gary.
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

…..I feel really bad about the time I just lost on that video even though I don't have anything better to do.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
Quote:
Paraphrasing slightly, I read "It should be fine after I fixed the valves, the bell, and the tubing."

ghelbig,
Ain't no "should" to it. The D/Eb plays fine NOW except that is isn't in tune with A=440. When the tubing is cut it will play just as well as it does now and it will be in A=440. I bought this horn AND the picc after playing other horns which had been fixed and played very well. I A-B-ed the picc with a Schilke P5-4 and the Schilke is a hair warmer, but not $3000 warmer. The D/Eb is a Berkeley, while the picc is another brand, but probably the same horn as the Berkeley.

You are distorting and NOT paraphrasing what I said. Fine to think what you want, but please don't change what I said to suit your opinions.

You are one of many people who don't like the Chinese horns and consider them junk. Fine. Others can look at them are raw material and use them. Ya pays your money and takes your choice. I don't see what the big deal is. If you buy a Bach C or Bb and want it to play its best, you'll end up sending it to a horn tweaker. Same difference, except the Chinese horns need a bit more fixing. Same charges, only you're paying less for the Chinese horn than the Bach. Whatever floats your boat.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with a guy who had some Berkeley horns. While I didn't especially care for how they played, he didn't seem to have any problem and he sounded alright on them. Fit and finish seemed okay, and way better than some of the trumpet shaped objects I've come across.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: