• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascott04

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I recently found someone selling this horn on eBay for about $800 and was wondering if anyone knew anything positive or negative about this horn or brand and if that price is any good. Also, any tips about buying used horns online would be very helpful. Thanks!
Ancientram

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Getzen 4 valve Eterna Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I had one for years. Loved it thoroughly. Big, beautiful sound, lightning fast valves. Sold it only after I bought my first rotary flugel.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn, which I purchased new in the late 1970s. It's a nice horn. If it's is good condition, and with the original case in good condition, then $800 might be a fair price.

It has a big bore, a big bell, and a lot of mass (with the extra weight from the 4th valve). These attributes are neither good nor bad. But some of us have difference preferences. That being said, the horn has a lot of presence, plays reasonably in-tune, and has a nice warm sound.

The horn comes with a leadpipe that accepts large (Yamaha) shank mouthpieces. But the Getzen corporation offers a replacement leadpipe for about $30 that accepts small (Bach) shank mouthpieces.

The 4th valve can be used to correct intonation on low D's and C#'s. It can also extend the range below F#. But these low notes require some practice and alternate valve combinations to play in tune. I used this a lot in college, to play Eb and F horn parts in various brass ensembles.

A couple years back, I purchased an Olds L-12 (smaller bore, smaller bell, lighter weight), which at this point, is what I prefer. But I still like my Getzen.

Feel free to PM me, if you have specific questions.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: