• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Craig Morris? CSO No more??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammmondbrass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to post an e-mail I sent the CSO in my anticipation of them coming to Tokyo at the end of Oct. From reading it, you will see I got some pretty shocking news. Of course I'm in Japan, so this might be old news for you guys in the states.

---Here is the original message from me---

Hey Craig,

First off, I just wanted to congratulate you on your recent jump to the
hot seat as Principal Trumpet with the CSO.  I believe I first heard of your
accomplishment in your interview in the ITG journal a while back.  I was
especially surprised to read that you primarily got your start in Drum Corps
with the Crossmen.  I too began my trumpet "career" in an obscure Drum Corps
for two tours.  I am now in the U.S. Navy Band stationed in Yokosuka, Japan.
  Turns out, I'm in the middle of a joint concert as Principal trumpet (when
I'm not playing lead in our big band) with the Tokyo Symphony called the
"Sounds of Yokosuka".  During one of my breaks I noticed a tour poster of
the CSO coming to Japan in the lobby.  A person like myself, whom wants
nothing more to be in a major orchestra, thought if would be cool to maybe
hang out with you guys and talk trumpet when you get here for you tour (its
hard to do that here when you don't speak Japanese).  Hopefully at the time
of your concert in Tokyo, Oct. 25 and 26 I believe, I myself won't be on
tour in Austrailia.  Well, I hope to hear from you if you aren't too busy. 
Even if you can't hang out it would still be cool if you could answer some
questions for me via e-mail.

Thanks,

Kristofer Hammond, USN

---Message back to me---

Dear Kristofer:

Thanks for your recent message to the CSO.  Just wanted to let you know that
Craig recently moved on from the CSO, accepting a teaching position at the
University of Miami.  He played his last concerts with the Orchestra this summer
at Ravinia.

We are currently in the midst of Principal Trumpet auditions here in Chicago.
Mark Ridenour, the CSO's Assistant Principal is Acting Principal for the time
being.  I'd be happy to pass along your message to Mark or any of the other
trumpet players in the section if you'd like.  We are all looking forward to the
upcoming tour to Japan.

All the best, Synneve Carlino
Synneve Carlino
Director of Public Relations
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
220 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL   60604

So, what do you think?
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Morris didn't get his contract renewed a couple months back, so he took a teaching job at Miami. No one knows for sure why..... I've heard that he couldn't "cut the mustard", but I don't believe that because it didn't come from a reliable source. He would have had to have been a great player to win the Bud Herseth seat in the first place, so it definitely didn't have anything to do with his playing ability.

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2003-09-26 00:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2003-09-26 00:30 ]
BenDover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently Craig Morris was just Fitzpatrick83 out of luck in Chi-Town. Speaking of fitzie, has anyone heard how his audition went for the CSO? I'm guessing that his scintillating rendition of "2001" went over huge with the audition committee!

Ben
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacky...

Craig is a terrific player. For whatever reason, it wasn't a good fit. The guy handled himself very well during the process, and was a professional to the end. He doesn't need crap from armchair principals.

Jim
hammmondbrass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in a reply to that, I wasn't giving him "arm-chair" crap. I was legitimately enthusiastic (as you can read in my e-mail) on his accomplishment and later concerned (in my post) for it not working out. Maybe a person like me, or you, could learn something from his experiences. I think its all a part of what I call, "The bettering of myself, the musician." In fact, I was shocked with disbelief. I had read so many good write-ups on him and this "Rags to Riches" story, which personified the American dream, that this inquiring mind had to know.

Never walk away from failure. On the contrary, study it carefully -- and imaginatively -- for its hidden assets.
--Michael Korda

Thanks,

Kristofer
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Morris is a terrific player. I heard him play the Symphony Domestica with the CSO last February and he really sounded great. He got a solo bow. --Looking back at that concert I've wondered whether he had recently heard the news that his contract had not been renewed. Threre was an awkwardness on stage between him and the other trumpet players. While Hagstrom and Ridenhour were "cutting up" before the concert, they hardly acknowledged the presence of Craig.--In that situation they may not have known what to say to him.

We can all speculate and my guess is that Craig may have been in an impossible situation following Herseth. I loved Craig's comment in ITG that he wouldn't be expected to fill Herseth's shoes because Herseth had worn them off the stage; but the comparisons were probably made.--The other thing is that when some like Herseth, who anchored and brought stability to the brass section for 50 years, leaves the political dynamics change. ---It may not be surprising therefore that the last two CSO trumpet players who came up for tenure did not have their contracts renewed. (Here in Alabama they have been trying to replace Bear Bryant for years and have gone through 7 coaches)

The other thing I wonder is once you have been principal trumpet of the CSO is your job market more constricted? Principal positions in major orchestras don't become vacant very often. Would he take a position as associate principal, or principal in a second-tier orchestra? Craig is too good a player not to land on his feet. More importantly I hope he secures a good position so we can all hear him play.
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristofer,

Give MrClean a break! Maybe MrClean was not referring to your post, but the two posts after yours (fuzzyjon79
, BenDover). Perhaps an apology is in order. Then again your post was tacky too - If you are just hearing about the CSO principal trumpet vacancy now, you are living in a bubble. A simple search of the forums will bring you up to date.

Don't mess with MrClean!

romey

[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-09-25 22:07 ]
BenDover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romey,

Perhaps my post was misunderstood...please allow me to clarify myself.

1) Craig is a fantastic player who has always had my utmost respect.

2) Fitzpatrick is still on the outside looking in, even though he "owns us". My post was meant to be a light hearted jab at the self-proclaimed next principle of the CSO.

Armchair principle???? Hardly...I couldn't carry Craig's gig bag!

Ben
fun-n-sun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristofer,

I agree with romey that Mr Clean wasn't taking aim at you, but perhaps at the posts that followed. I imagine he is trying to keep things from degrading too far on a thread like this.

Also, in response to your comment about you or him "learning something" from Craig's experiences. Remember, in a forum like this we don't really know who we are talking to. I mean Mr. Clean could be a member in a top symphony orchestra, a retired member of the NY Phil, or a major player on the film scene. Heck, for that matter he might have even been one of Craig's teachers. Didn't he spend some time in California? On the other hand, he might simply be an enthusiastic amateur. Either way, he deserves our respect and not our assumptions.

Back to the beach...
hammmondbrass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romey,

I am exactly that, living in a cultural bubble called the country of Japan (which I stated). Being so out of the proverbial loop-hole, I thought to call upon a Trumpet Forum to fill the information void (that's the whole point, right?). My post wasn't really a statement so much as an "ironing out" of facts. This was all news to me, I wanted to be informed with the truth.
Like Fun-in-the sun said, I don't know who I'm talking to in a forum. Food for thought: I could be Craig Morris checking my status amongst my peers.
I also read the audition rules and regulations according to the CSO. It turns out that any new performer to the CSO is under a Probationary period of two years. Under that time, they can terminate your contract at any time if they feel it isn't working out. At that level, it really isn't a matter of hitting the notes or range but if the Director likes your sound and what you are doing. I'm sure, in the most professional manner, they told him that he is a fantastic player but he's not what the CSO was looking for with their history of being a power-house of brass.
Well, I just wanted to deposit my two cents again and maybe sort out the "misunderstanding" between posts.

Thanks,

Kristofer (or is it?)

P.S. Mrclean, use specifics in your lashing outs. Its a lot cleaner.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the record.. I was not degrading Craig Morris.... The only thing I remember seeing about his contract not getting renewed was that someone in another thread made the statement "not cutting the mustard". I do not believe this. Even though I have never heard him play, winning the Bud Herseth seat says enough about his playing without ever having to hear him.
End Quote:
King1500
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, Mr. Clean could even be the Associate Principal Trumpet of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. We just don't know!!!

Craig
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fun-n-sun,

Welcome! I can tell you are one who deserves respect. I hope maybe our paths will cross soon, until then - keep having "fun in the sun" - you deserve it!

Kristofer Hammond,

Thank you for enlightening me on the CSO's hiring policy, but I was already aware of it. How about dropping this whole subject and let it RIP. The more you continue to babble on and on about stuff you know nothing about, the sillier you sound. Stop pretending you're Craig Morris, don't even joke about it - that's an insult to him and MrClean.

Craig Morris and MrClean must be respected!

romey

[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-09-26 01:07 ]
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristofer,

Check your private messages - I believe you will find a note from me, sent several days ago, on the subject. I believe you will find it "clean enough". As most of the other posters picked up, I wasn't directing it at you.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: