• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beethoven Horn Sonata, op. 17 on Courtois 156R

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d.kocurek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Beethoven Horn Sonata, op. 17 on Courtois 156R Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I've been splitting my time equally between trumpet and flugel these days, working up a bunch of horn and cello rep. Here's a little snippet I did with Canada's renowned fortepianist, Michael Jarvis. His instrument is an 1830 Biber Fortepiano, likely played by the most famous German and Austrian composers of the day. It's a beautiful, hand-made instrument, as you will see.

My flugelhorn is the older model 156R that Sergei still uses...I had a custom length slide built for the 4th valve (a little longer, like Sergei's) and had a trigger installed. Dave Harrison made me a mouthpiece that is a bit deeper than the average horn mouthpiece...not sure of the overall dimensions, but it was loosely based on the "Courtois -154-" mouthpiece that came with the horn...it's just a bit wider and deeper. I've found that this setup is so enjoyable to play, I almost don't want to play trumpet anymore!

You'll notice that my slide is out quite a bit...this is because Michael's piano is tuned to A=430, so I had to make appropriate adjustments!

Anyway, you can check out the link directly or watch the link on my website, www.dankocurek.net. Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Dan

Link

carlosmzabala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Beethoven Horn Sonata, op. 17 on Courtois 156R Reply with quote

d.kocurek wrote:
Hey everyone!

I've been splitting my time equally between trumpet and flugel these days, working up a bunch of horn and cello rep. Here's a little snippet I did with Canada's renowned fortepianist, Michael Jarvis. His instrument is an 1830 Biber Fortepiano, likely played by the most famous German and Austrian composers of the day. It's a beautiful, hand-made instrument, as you will see.

My flugelhorn is the older model 156R that Sergei still uses...I had a custom length slide built for the 4th valve (a little longer, like Sergei's) and had a trigger installed. Dave Harrison made me a mouthpiece that is a bit deeper than the average horn mouthpiece...not sure of the overall dimensions, but it was loosely based on the "Courtois -154-" mouthpiece that came with the horn...it's just a bit wider and deeper. I've found that this setup is so enjoyable to play, I almost don't want to play trumpet anymore!

You'll notice that my slide is out quite a bit...this is because Michael's piano is tuned to A=430, so I had to make appropriate adjustments!

Anyway, you can check out the link directly or watch the link on my website, www.dankocurek.net. Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Dan

Link

Hi Dan!

Great job. You sound great and the fortepiano brings a different color to the piece, for sure. Thanks for sharing the video with all of us!

I have the 156R, new version, and I had played the horn sonata few times (but never performed it live) so, when I watched the video I felt identified with you, and decided to not only say hi but let you know what I thought about your recording.

Wishing you the best,

Carlos
www.fb.me/carlosmzabala
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job! Loved it.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
lsutiger43

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: