• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Resistance: Where and how?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venturi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Resistance: Where and how? Reply with quote

Players who like resistance "to have something to push against" have always intrigued me. I've preferred pretty much the opposite.

Hoping that if you're such a player you can chime in and describe how you use it and what it does for you.

Also, where/how do you prefer resistance in your set-up -- say in a tighter mouthpiece backbone, or a smaller bore in the horn, or something else?
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the embouchure, in the oral cavity, in the drill, in the backbore, in the lead pipe and in the bore of the horn. I like all of those locations to be as resistant as possible.

This makes every aspect of playing easier.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I seem to like a bell that is medium to large taper. So far, the horns I've played with tight bells present a wall in the upper register that I haven't learned to overcome.

For the most part (38B is the exception), MLP or L bore horns give me the feel of freedom I prefer and a sound that doesn't hurt my ears to listen to as I play.

I have just changed horns and this current horn has a different mouth pipe which starts out smaller (.343" vs. .348") and is more resistant throughout my range. It also has a more distinct face to the pipe's leading edge. These two elements seem to hold my sound together more consistantly and give a more positive response at the beginning of each note.

I still like big open back bores more than small or medium.

I prefer the sound and feel of a #26 mouthpiece throat bore for most things, though I play on certain, larger throats for ballad style music.

Cup depth varies depending on the situation, but I prefer a steep drop off the rim and a medium-flat bottom to the shape.

Rim is a Curry #5 on everything.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use resistance as a limiter. I am the kind of player that has a hard time not getting louder and fuller and thicker the more I play, particularly on shows or charts that are in mid-range. I would lose range because the notes got too big. I eventually learned to hold back. But playing ML horns with tight back bores seemed to put a limit on my lack of self control.

Playing against the "wall" of resistance seems to meter things for me.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by gstump on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:57 am; edited 2 times in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyllis Stork, of Stork Mouthpieces, posted an interesting article related to this, Tongue Position and the War on Excessive Volume in Equipment Set Up.
Quote:
Perhaps the most confusing of all mouthpiece conundrums is the problem of balancing the resistance between the player and his equipment set up.

At least once a day I get a call from a player complaining about a feeling of tightness in the mouthpiece. A feeling that one can’t get enough air into the mouthpiece, especially when ascending into the upper register, even to the point of feeling choked. The most natural reaction to this feeling, and the common wisdom in solving the problem, has been to open things up. Open the bore, deepen the cup, open the back bore, do all three together! However, in 95% of these cases, in spite of how counterintuitive it seems, the answer lies in tightening something down.

The feeling of tightness or resistance is often a sign that there is already too much internal volume in the set up, or not enough resistance.

The article goes on to explain that, when one tries to play equipment that lacks sufficient resistance, we subconsciously compensate by tightening the throat, raising the back of the tongue and pinching the apperature. This is the war on excessive internal volume.

If we add resistance back into the equipment set up, it can help us relax these things and sound better.
Piccolo Stomvi
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to think too much about "where" I like my resistance anymore. Instead, I let the sound be the judge.

Having said that, I've found (after lots of trial and error) that a good amount of resistance pretty much everywhere gives me the best sound, and with the least amount of effort. Things like: medium-tight leadpipe tapers (25-style, Malone MB1, etc.), a straight ML bore, squared or semi-round tuning slides, Bach-style bracing, "average" bell tapers, medium-heavy valve clusters. These things give my sound the focus and fullness I want with the least amount of manipulation/effort from my embouchure and air stream.

As far as mouthpieces go, I like your typical unaltered Bach C-cup mouthpiece for a legit sound, and Reeves stuff for commercial work. Throats bigger than a 27, and open backbores both get rid of a lot of the focus in the sound for me.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Phyllis Stork, of Stork Mouthpieces, posted an interesting article related to this, Tongue Position and the War on Excessive Volume in Equipment Set Up.
Quote:
Perhaps the most confusing of all mouthpiece conundrums is the problem of balancing the resistance between the player and his equipment set up.

At least once a day I get a call from a player complaining about a feeling of tightness in the mouthpiece. A feeling that one can’t get enough air into the mouthpiece, especially when ascending into the upper register, even to the point of feeling choked. The most natural reaction to this feeling, and the common wisdom in solving the problem, has been to open things up. Open the bore, deepen the cup, open the back bore, do all three together! However, in 95% of these cases, in spite of how counterintuitive it seems, the answer lies in tightening something down.

The feeling of tightness or resistance is often a sign that there is already too much internal volume in the set up, or not enough resistance.

The article goes on to explain that, when one tries to play equipment that lacks sufficient resistance, we subconsciously compensate by tightening the throat, raising the back of the tongue and pinching the apperature. This is the war on excessive internal volume.

If we add resistance back into the equipment set up, it can help us relax these things and sound better.
It took me a long time to recover from playing a mouthpiece that was too wide open. Seems like that resistance has to be somewhere. In my case it snuck in over time in my throat and facial muscles. It was bad.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, as usual, makes a lot of sense. It became abundantly clear, on my flugel for example, that after coming from a large bore Benge 5 to a .413 Besson that I could climb as high as I wanted with very little effort, so I worked to make that happen with other horns to great effect, my King Lib, the Martin, my Conns-- all smaller bores. With the right setup, what a sound, too! There's no mistaking the big sound you get with a large drill and a big bore horn, but unless you plan on a few hours of work everyday, good luck on the gig.

ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: