• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trombonist Jay Friedman's articles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Trombonist Jay Friedman's articles Reply with quote

Here is the latest from the Maestro. I just can't speak highly enough of Jay's articles about brass playing, in my opinion, all of which, other than obviously when he's going on about slide technique, I have found to be immensely helpful and infinitely applicable to the trumpet. I've probably very carefully read about 70% of his articles, they are short and sweet, rich with wisdom. I'm not sure if maybe because i started originally on trombone, maybe it makes more sense to me, but everyone should go get a cheap plastic bone and a mouthpiece to help loosen up for energized trumpet playing, at least that is it's biggest benefit to me, trombone playing as a warmup to trumpet, not a new idea clearly (i know alot of the high note guys have done this, Maynard, Rashawn Ross/Bass trumpet, etc, same difference. His "Forklift" visualization i find is on the money, dead accurate for trumpet as well and is one of Mr. Friedman's key recurring concepts in his other articles.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you find Jay's stuff as helpful as I did. Given he's in the CSO, i'm sure this is an appropriate place for it. Thanks

http://www.jayfriedman.net/articles/night_of_the_living_dead

Night of the living dead

<Elided -- OK to link to an article, not to copy and paste from another website.>
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Jay is well-known around here. Douglas Yeo is another t-bone player with some excellent advice for any player.

Thanks for the link - Don
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Yup, Jay is well-known around here. Douglas Yeo is another t-bone player with some excellent advice for any player.

Thanks for the link - Don

No Don, thank you for a great forum, GOLD knowledge nuggets are def to be found. I feel like I'm on the show Mad Men every time i interact with someone named Don:)

I'm gonna check out Douglas Yeo as well, thanks. Always on the lookout for new brass voices to try poorly emulate! I love the bone, truth be told, just HATE that darn SLIDE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: