• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Want to quit!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
When I read Jeff Smiley's book there were all kind of references to FLAT CHINS. this was new to me-- the terminology and the significance in terms of playing. never read the Farkas book, apparently it comes from that. It is not something I would look for or recognize, and no teacher ever mentioned my CHIN. maybe I wasn't paying attention.
I guess flat is opposite of bunched. seems this is the muscles pulling the lip down or up, but to me more of an effect than a cause.
is it something you guys really think about or talk about? how and why would you make your chin FLAT. really I doubt if I want to learn to do it, but am curious just the same.
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

without taking sides here let me say this...

I'm 35 and change is dificult at this time, not because I'm old, but because I've had the same set-up since I started.
While I did not "play" 1985-2001, I'm sure I'm using the same set-up as I did back then.

However, since I'm not seeing the results I want, then maybe what I am doing is wrong.
It is just that any attempt to change my set-up would be difficult at least and impossible to do over the internet, in my opinion.
but... keep the advice comming.
I'll use it when I start lessons with my new instructor!
(_uIII_o__) |
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, stick it out. As for embouchure tips, well, I'm not really a good one to ask, I pretty much just put the horn up there and play.

I will say that I think that any practice routine can benefit from focused long tone exercises and LOTS of articulation exercises. For whatever reason, when I'm doing lots of articulation exercises, especially single tonguing, my sound is bigger, more focused, I'm more accurate, have better endurance and playing is much easier.

Best of luck and DON'T QUIT!!!!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you have a C and a D right?

Do you spend time up there?

How about spending 2 - 5 minutes playing those max. high notes?

Warm up just a little and then try playing melodies right there at your limit.

The higher notes might pop right out.

Worked for me.

mm
dave

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't post often but check out my history and you will find that I shared some of your concerns. Tom Turner reccomended " The Balanced Embouchure" by Jeff Smiley. This can be purchased through Northernbrass.com

I have intended to reply on this advise for some time now. There is so much to say. The short version is that every aspect of my playing has improved with the help of Jeff's book. I don't boast the double C's yet but I definitely see how they will come. This is what I do experience with amazing consistency:

Much improved tone (I always thought my tone was a stong point. It is even better)
Improved articulation
Improved accuracy up to the top of my range.
Ease of playing in all registers.
Increased enjoyment of practicing.
Increased endurance

I am still learning. I still don't do the "roll in" well for those of you who know the method. But the "roll out" has transformed my playing as I am more and more dragging this feeling up into the staff. I can also say that Jeff has been kind, patient, encouraging, and generous. I don't believe for one second that he is out for the fast $$$. It is a good method that in my opinion will make a strong impact on trumpet embouchure pedagogy.

A side note....
I am a high school band director and have a student who has braces etc... She wanted to try trumpet for marching band.... Just now, I had to stop writing and work with her a bit. It has been 2 weeks since I last saw her, today is only the 2nd time I worked with her. No one in their right mind would teach this girl trumpet. Her lips, teeth and braces scream baritone or woodwind etc... But she wanted to try because the band needs trumpets at this point. She is a model band member and truly a team player with a great heart! ... so I decided to teach her Jeff's approach!

Today, after only two weeks, she does the "roll in" better than I can with a clear easy high C! She is very consistent with this roll in. It is unreal!

Anyway, it is worth checking out.

Tom, Jeff and Bruce: Thank you for your help. It truly impacted more than just myself.

Dave Thomas

[ This Message was edited by: dave on 2002-05-24 17:19 ]
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

What a courageous and encouraging report!!! A BAND DIRECTOR with an open mind (not necessarily rare) who would invest the time and effort to check out Jeff Smiley's wonderful new materials!!!

Dave, I'm SO GLAD you perservered and reaped the benefits . . . especially since I'd recommended this method to you! Also, I'm not a bit amazed that a motivated student, with MUCH going AGAINST her for learning the trumpet is thriving using Jeff's concepts. Jeff talks about this in his book . . . as you know!

You've made my day!!! TWO PEOPLE dramatically impacted by Jeff Smiley's Balanced Embouchure Method . . . and . . . from the sound of things . . . there's ONE MORE band director out there who will be using it to impact untold more in the coming years.

May you continue to be blessed in every way!!!

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner

PS: Please e-mail Jeff a note of thanks. Jeff, like all visionaries, gets slammed from time to time as they try to help people learn a better way. I'm sure he'd love a testomonial from you!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: