• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

reunion blues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minimus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these good gig bags? ive heard of some damaging horns because of the zippers and stuff...does anyone have one...im considering the leather single trumpet bag...thanks for any opinions

[ This Message was edited by: on 2003-10-01 18:03 ]
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a GARD single gig bag, since my Reunion Blues bag is shot. The GARD bag is well designed and inexpensive. The zipper is tucked away so it does not contact the horn, and there is an insert at the bell end to keep it from collapsing.

Pete
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Reunion Blues before upgrading to a Wiseman. I still use it now when carrying more instruments than I can fit in one Wiseman (frequently do gigs requiring 4, 5, 6 or more!).
Have never had a problem with the zip touching the instrument, but this is probably due to the zip not having worked for the past 4 or 5 years!

The only advice I now give when people ask about cases is - Wiseman!
They are more expensive than the others, but you get what you pay for. I am currently saving for another Wiseman Triple Case or two, so I can carry everything I need!
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my reunion super triple bag! I carry my Strad, and my matching Jazz Bb and flugel. Have had zero problems.
-Collin
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my RB single bag. I've had it for around twenty-years and it gets better looking every year. Never had ANY damage to a horn.

Dave
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Reunion single and triple and both are great. I put my horns in protective silk bags first so they will not get scratched. I would never ship a horn in a Reunion gig bag, but for transporting to a gig they work fine.

Collin: What is a super triple bag?

Pete: I've heard about the GARD. What do like about them over the Reunion?

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
minimus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies everyone...i think ill try to get one pretty soon...what mainly attracted me at first were the looks but i wanted to find out a little more before i spent money on one...thanks again
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a RB single bag for most of my playing career (about 30+ years) with never a single damage problem. In fact I'm using a new one now, since the first one finally wore out after 30 or so years of heavy use. I would just point out that if you decide to buy a RB bag be aware that RB has moved their base of opperations to China (used to be San Francisco) and the quality has declined greatly. These cheap RB bags are being sold through outlets like WWBW. Anyway, the good news is that you can still buy the original bags through special order. The old crew who used to make them are still building them in their home basements, using the old patterns and high quality leather materials as before. They will not have the name "Reunion Blues" on the bag, since that is a trade-mark name. But they are RB bags for sure, and a lot better than the current crop they're making in China. Here's a link that will help if that's the bag you're after.
http://www.steveferguson.net
Larry
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

I checked the single GARD bags out at the NY Brass Conference last spring. The padding is thicker, the zipper is tucked away when zipped, and it comes with an insert at the bell end with padding to keep the bell protected. I bought a GARD cordura bag with the larger side pocket on it. There is plenty of room for oil, mouthpiece, glass case(s), and for about half the price. There are many models to chose from. RB bags are good, but these are IMHO better and cheaper. Giardinelli is getting rid of the older models for $9.99 on there website. They were originally $39.99.

Pete
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my single reunion blues bag which I've had for 10 years or so, except that when I've put things in the zipper pouch on the side, it dented the second valve slide all too easily. Otherwise I recommend them.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-02 08:52, Larry Smithee wrote:
I would just point out that if you decide to buy a RB bag be aware that RB has moved their base of opperations to China (used to be San Francisco) and the quality has declined greatly. These cheap RB bags are being sold through outlets like WWBW. Anyway, the good news is that you can still buy the original bags through special order. The old crew who used to make them are still building them in their home basements, using the old patterns and high quality leather materials as before.

I'm passing along second-hand data, but a respected band mate (saxophonist extrodinaire) sells both the old and new RB bags in his work. He thinks the quality on the new Chinese bags is as good as the old RB bags or the new ones still made in SF. Larry, have you examined the new bags for yourself?

I'm told by someone I trust, that I wouldn't know they were made in China unless someone told me. I also know that initially the guys in SF were spreading some bad poop on RB, but they've since wisely stopped defaming their former employer.

dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: