• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Essential Books

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Essential Books Reply with quote

I asked a question about this in another thread, but I thought it might be of wider interest.

What books would experienced players and teachers recommend for players at different stages of development, from beginner to intermediate to more advanced?

I am, of necessity, self taught, a trumpet beginner, but with wider knowledge of music. Yeah, I know what you're all thinking, but really, there is no qualified teacher within several thousand miles of where I live.

So when people mention "Clarke" or "Gordon" in posts, and I look on line, I find many titles by each one. Which ones would help me at the stage I'm at right now? Which ones will I need in a few months or a couple of years? How about other authors?

Thanks in advance for your patience!

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarke Technical Studies (Pay attention to instructions, go slow, play soft!)
Irons 27 Exercises (Tongue level focused flexibilities)
Arban's Complete Conservatory Method
Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities, Vol. 1, 2, 3 (more Irons type)
Rich Willey "Scale Force" (the best scale book there is)
Various Etude Books (Charlier, Brandt, Concone, etc...)

I also have been playing alot from Rich Willey's Clarke Variations books:
"Variations on Clarke's Second, Vol1: 24 Melodic Variations through the 7 Modes of the Major Scale"
Vol2 is the same thing, but through the 7 modes of Melodic Minor.
Gate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the fact that I do have access to teachers nearby, I come from a similar situation. Learning music wasn't the hard part, it was learning how to make good sounds easily on the trumpet. Since you can't work with a good player or teacher, I highly recommend the free YouTube videos by Greg Spence (I think that's his name), aka Mystery to Mastery. Avoiding habitual tension is essential, and I'm not aware of any book that gets across the concepts better than his videos. He has some books, which I can't speak to.

I also find that what books you use is pretty unimportant for a while. I know it is always tempting for me to think that since I know music or how to play something moderately complex on another instrument, that I'll be jumping ahead. But that's not the case. You might look at someone riding a bike and say - "That's easy! He's just going in a straight line. I can walk all curvy-like." But a straight line is plenty hard enough for someone who's never ridden a bike. Good luck, and patience to both of us!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my big 3 right now:
Herald Mitchell Method book(s)
Concone Lyrical Studies
Theo Charlier 36 Etudes Transcendates

Clarke = Technical Studies
Arban's = Platinum version or Allen Vizzutti's new version
Gordon = Saint Jacome Grand Method

If you had an Arban's book OR a St. Jacome together with a Clarke Study you'd be set for a while
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, regarding teachers, there are some excellent teachers who give lessons via Skype. That might be something to consider.

As for books, here are some for you to consider.

Beginning to Intermediate
Herbert L. Clarke "Elementary Studies"
Claude Gordon "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing"
David Hickman "100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet"
Eric Bolvin "The Really Big Student Songbook"
Sigmund Hering "50 Recreational Studies for Trumpet" and "40 Etudes for Trumpet"
Bugs Bowers "Rhythms Complete"

Intermediate to Advanced
Arban "Complete Conservatory Method"
(you might consider getting Eric Bolvin's "The Arban Manual" to help guide you through Arban)
Max Schlossberg "Daily Drills and Technical Studies"
Herbert L. Clarke "Technical Studies"
Sigmund Hering "32 Etudes" and "38 Recreational Studies"
Concone "The Complete Solfeggi" (or some other compilation of Concone such as "Lyrical Studies for Trumpet")
Victor Salvo "240 Double and Triple Tonguing Exercises"
Earl Irons "27 Groups of Exercises" (flexibility)
Edwin F. Goldman "Practical Studies"

Advanced
Claude Gordon "Daily Trumpet Routines" and "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice"
Bordogni "24 Vocalises"
St. Jacome "Grand Method Complete"
(Eric Bolvin's "The Saint Jacome Manual" can help you with a logical approach to St. Jacome)
Walter Smith "Top Tones"
Sachse "100 Studies"
Caffarelli "100 Melodic Studies"
Charlier "36 Etudes Transcendantes"
Charles Colin "Advanced Lip Flexibilities"
Herbert L. Clarke "Characteristic Studies"
Charlie Parker "The Charlie Parker Omnibook"

There are many, many more great trumpet books out there, but this list at least offers a starting point for your consideration. You'll get the most value out of any of them, however, if you can get some lessons with a good teacher via Skype.

Good luck!
MahlerIsTheMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to what some college professors are asking students in their studios to acquire. These are primarily links to trombone studios but there are some trumpet studios mixed in as well. I know this does not directly answer your question but I thought you might find it interesting to look through.

http://www.hickeys.com/cgi/display.cgi?cart_id=7690057.27872&page=studio.htm

Chris
MJo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
my big 3 right now:
Herald Mitchell Method book(s)

Great to see someone mention Harold Mitchell's books. They get overlooked too much on this site, even though they're now in print again by Santorella, with DVD and CDs. Chris Tedesco has done a good job revising and supplementing these volumes (the fourth and final hasn't yet appeared, I think).

zaferis wrote:
... Arban's = Platinum version or Allen Vizzutti's new version

Having recently bought the three-volume Leduc edition of Arban, edited by Jean Maire, and as owner of several other editions, I can say that the student who is confronting Arban for the first time should do it through vol. 1 in this edition, though the cost is higher. It's simply better organized for the learner.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great books listed here. I'd also suggest Michael Sachs, Daily Fundamentals for the Trumpet.

It's only 65 pages, but it packs in a lot of useful content, from warm up, to fundamental exercises, to excerpts from famous methods (Arban, Clarke), to excerpts from famous solos (Haydn, Hummel).

Sachs also provided lots of instruction on how to play these things properly. And he provides a listing of other recommended books, although one can cover the essential skills with the material in his book.
Piccolo Stomvi
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Those are exactly the sorts of answers I was hoping for. Now I'll try to follow as much of your advice as I can!

zaferis wrote:
If you had an Arban's book OR a St. Jacome together with a Clarke Study you'd be set for a while

That sounds like my starting point--I'll try to get copies of those sent here, then try to pick up a few more things next year when I'm in the US (I can either walk into physical music stores, or at least shipping is cheaper). Everyone seems to agree on the Clarke. Also a lot of agreement about Arban. I think I will end up with whichever edition of Arban I can find an affordable copy of. I take it that it would be somewhat redundant to have both Arban and the Saint-Jacome.

Also, thanks, Chris, for the link to Hickey's. They seem to have a pretty amazingly complete inventory of music books! Here's the link to the first page of their trumpet studies and etudes section:
http://www.hickeys.com/cgi/display.cgi?cart_id=&page=/trst.htm

And about Skype teachers.... But maybe that would be worth a separate thread.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Books Reply with quote

jungledoc wrote:
What books would experienced players and teachers recommend for players at different stages of development, from beginner to intermediate to more advanced?

I am, of necessity, self taught, a trumpet beginner, but with wider knowledge of music.

Lots of good examples. But most of the ones given are for more advanced players.

Clarke, Arban, St. Jacome, Irons, Colin, Schlossberg, and others are all great books. But I think it will be hard for a young player (a developing player) without a teacher to get a lot out of them.

For a "beginner to intermediate", I'd suggest something like Rubank Intermediate or Rubank Advanced Trumpet Method. They cover the important fundamentals and are easier to follow without a teacher.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am a claude gordon student so some of the books mentioned above are on my shelf.
as you progress with playing keep your eye open for,,, nonstandard (?) somewhat offbeat books. as a gordon student for example i am playing out of bill knevitt's books which are more comprehensive and better presented. they will be good for a few years. then most importantly there are technique books. clint mclauglin's tension-less e-book is doing wonders for me right now. there are some fine books and e-books in that genre.
BrianCade
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Thompson - The Buzzing Book
Hickman - 15 Advanced Embouchure Studies
Thibaud - Method for the Advanced Trumpeter
Eric Bolvin - The Arban Manual & The St. Jacome Manual
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a beginner I wouldn't go with any of the books recommended except for the Rubank books. What I would recommend is Claude Gordons Physical approach to elementary brass playing.

I , like you, can read music. I had been playing sax for 10 years when I took up trumpet. I got all these recommended books , Clarke, Arban, Schlossberg etc. I totally fried my chops. Did too much too soon because I wasn't taking lessons and eventually gave it up....3 times. I'm now on my 4th comeback and am working out of this book. It tells you exactly what to play for each lesson and it's working great. I'm up to lesson 16 and my intonation is good, tone is good, endurance is getting better. This is a fantastic book to build a solid foundation to support the work in the other books like Clark, Arban etc.

The exercises thus far have only ascended to A above the staff yet I can hit an E over high C. Just goes to show, careful consistent practice pays off. It does take discipline to go the this book as the exercises are just that...exercises. Not musical at all. It's like work outs for trumpet. So if you want to play some music you'll have to buy something like Getchell or Hering.

One other thing, this book does require St. Jacome so that is an added expense but well worth it.

Do yourself a favor and try this book.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides those already offered:

W. Smith "Top Tones" (30 difficult and strenuous etudes in all keys
major and minor)

V. Brandt "Etudes for Trumpet" (Orchestral and Last Studies, especially when
one also learns the suggested
transpositions.)

Snedecor "Lyrical Etudes"
MJo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
If you are a beginner I wouldn't go with any of the books recommended except for the Rubank books. What I would recommend is Claude Gordons Physical approach to elementary brass playing.

It's hard to imagine that anyone who is familiar with Harold Mitchell's 4 books — or only book 1, for that matter — would recommend against a beginner using it. Nothing against Rubank, which is fine, but there's really not much comparison, and there are many, many outstanding players over the past 50 years who swear by Mitchell's books. As for Physical Approach/St. Jacome, if they've worked well for you, great -- that's why there are so many different beginners methods. But something else might produce better results for someone else.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were an at home, treat myself, medical type looking for a book on diagnosing allergies, for example, or a would-be do-it-yourself home motorcycle mechanic about to tackle a valve adjustment on a Ducati, for another, etc. etc., I don't believe that I would be turning to books written in the 19th century or the first half of the 20th century. In fact, when I was in a college music program in 1960, my Chicago based trumpet prof. insisted on a Farkus chop setting. If I were starting today, I don't believe that I would want to learn the "smile" embouchure.

`
There may have been some progress since Arban. Just a thought . . .

Tommy T.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were an at home, treat myself, medical type looking for a book on diagnosing allergies, for example, or a would-be do-it-yourself home motorcycle mechanic about to tackle a valve adjustment on a Ducati, for another, etc. etc., I don't believe that I would be turning to books written in the 19th century or the first half of the 20th century. In fact, when I was in a college music program in 1960, my Chicago based trumpet prof. insisted on a Farkus chop setting. If I were starting today, I don't believe that I would want to learn the "smile" embouchure.

`
There may have been some progress since Arban. Just a thought . . .

Tommy T.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJo wrote:

Quote:
BobD wrote:

It's hard to imagine that anyone who is familiar with Harold Mitchell's 4 books — or only book 1, for that matter — would recommend against a beginner using it. Nothing against Rubank, which is fine, but there's really not much comparison, and there are many, many outstanding players over the past 50 years who swear by Mitchell's books. As for Physical Approach/St. Jacome, if they've worked well for you, great -- that's why there are so many different beginners methods. But something else might produce better results for someone else.

Sorry, I made too broad a statement about all the books. I was really trying to get at staying away from the books like Schlossberg, Clarke, Arbans, Irons until a base has been established. That's why I recommended Claude Gordon's book as a good place to start.
tjDuffy_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the two staple trumpet method books are:

Arbans (Carl Fischer) 90% of all trumpet players have this book. it is like the bible

Herbet L Clarke Technical Studies - consider this the new testament

i have also heard that Allen Vizzutti's books are quite good, but i am yet to try them
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found John Daniel's 'Special Studies for Trumpet' very helpful. John has 8 videos on Youtube which enlarge on his thinking. There are no quick fixes, just solid, thoughtful advice. I've been using the book for 6 months and can't recommend it highly enough. Thanks John.

Frank
Besson Meha Bb Tpt
Selmer 99 Radial
Conn Connstelation 36B
Conn Connstelation 28A
B&H Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha 635T Flugel Horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: