• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

IIIA/IIIB

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few cases where I couldn't decide either. In lessons I do quite a bit of testing various ways to make sure which it is. Sometimes (one very recently) the pivot appears to actually work horizontally and not vertically, which is probably a result of particular teeth structure. As with a more normal IIIA or IIIB pivot, go with what works.

What I DON'T do is say "IIIB for now" which can be destructive if you're wrong. It's better to NOT pivot and concentrate on doing everything else correctly. Eventually the correct pivot may become more evident on its own... I've seen that happen a few times, and it ended up IIIA.
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How best to find one's own 'pivot' ?

I find that with some mouthpiece playing, I dont have the old habits I have while holding/playing the trumpet, and my ' pivot ' seems more pronounced with just the mouthpiece.
Kind of like when buzzing the mpce, I 'follow ' my ' inner track' as opposed to when I hold the horn, my ' used to ' playing position takes the lead.

I dont know if my description is correct, and I konw I used to many ' ' in my sentences.....

Best

JiCe
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Yes and no.
I don't think the "pivot" that occurs when buzzing the mouthpiece is necessarily the same as what I would find in testing you. Most often when I see someone doing mouthpiece buzzing, what they are doing is unrelated to their actual correct pivot.

And finding your own pivot? Most players misdiagnose themselves.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
How best to find one's own 'pivot' ?

I highly recommend contacting Doug Elliott to get a Skype lesson with him. There may be others who could correctly type you, but I have a feeling Doug will hit the nail on the head with you, Jean-Claude!
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a great idea.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: