• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How can I learn to play the right rythme??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

can anybody give me any tips to play in the right rythme? I have a lot of problems playing the right rythm specially in Jazz/Swing where u can find more tones not on clap/thud/blow (I dont know the right word)

Thanx

matthias
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice with a metronome and work on rythmic dictation. Set your metronome to off beats so that you can hear off beats. If you see something that looks odd, then right the counts underneath it.
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an old book, "Odd Meter Etudes" by Everette Gates, that may still be available.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I have that book! It's only 7 bucks from Robert King Music. It is a great book!
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make sure that you are subdividing the beat properly.

Try tapping your foot down-up (first half of beat - second half of beat). One and; Two and, etc.. Once you can do that well, if you can do the math in your head, rhythms become much easier to read correctly the FIRST read. Eventually, you won't need to tap anymore.

For swing, the subdivision is more of a triple feel than a duple feel. In other words, the written second half of an eighth note is really played on the last third of a beat - as if it were the last note in a set of eighth note triplets. If you feel like you are reaching that second and fourth eighth earlier than the rest of the players in your ensemble, chances are that you are not swinging the eighths just right. You may be playing the even numbered eighths on the second half of the beat, instead. Generally speaking, swing eighths are a 2/3 : 1/3 ratio instead of a 1/2 : 1/2 ratio like you would play in legit style.

Two of my favorite books for learning rhythms are:

Breeze Easy Method bks 1 and 2. (Warner Brothers Pub.)

Ed Sueta Band Method bks. 1 and 2. (Macie Publishing Co.)

Also, try Hickman's Music Speed Reading.

Good luck.

Steve
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhythms Complete by Bugs Bower published by Charles Colin is excellent.
Each lesson is a 2 measure rhythmic pattern with (6) 2 line melodies using that rhythm.
Each lesson has an example showing the breakdown of the beats and the down-up arrows. If you can tap your foot - you will be able to play them correctly.
I think what you are asking about is the 'downbeat' versus the upbeat. In jazz - a lot of the rhythms are syncopated which is a lot of notes falling on the upbeats.
the Colin book is geared toward learning how to recognize & play these types of patterns.

Ed Sueta book, I think it is Spectrum of Rhythms is good also for teaching you to train your foot and play using the down - up system
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subdivide, count, and concentrate!
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pair of kings in that "Rhythms Complete" by Bugs Bower published by Charles Colin is great. After studying Caruso for 1 1/2 years, my rhythm has never been better. I am now constantly subdividing 8th's and 16th's in my head when I play music. Check out the Caruso forum. I have also found that the Jazz Conception series by Jim Snidero ("Easy Jazz Conceptions” and "Jazz Conceptions") found on the Aebersold Web site is valuable. It forces me to constantly count. Check out the Charles Colins Web site for more books on rhythm at:
http://www.charlescolin.com/trebleclef/

Janell Carter

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetdiva1 on 2003-11-10 20:10 ]
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzyjon79 said that you should write the counting first. That is a good start because it's tough to practice rhythms without knowing how they should be. Then try singing it and then playing it. Another way is by subdiving the rhythm by putting large lines where all the beats or 1/2 beats or 1/4 beats, etc. are. This is another visual way to see it. I still like to write counting myself. I have especially done this on No. 28 of Dufresne's sight-reading book. I know that it is for sight-reading but I can barely read that one the tenth time around.
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can start by learning how to spell "rhythm" correctly (lol sorry couldn't resist the smart remark).

I'd say get a metronome, and also keep working for that internal pulse. You have to be able to feel the rhythm before you play correct rhythmically.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Starer: Rhythmic Training.
It's an excellent book, available on Amazon.com.
There's also a thread on it in the Fundamentals forum, under "Rhythmic Epiphany"
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to be able to play the rhythms correctly, you have to be able to "count" the rhythms. Be able to count out loud the entire piece you're working on. Don't know how to count? Don't feel bad. A lot of players don't. I didn't find out until AFTER I got my degree. If someone had shown me in grade school it sure would have made my life a lot easier. I would be glad to send anyone who is interested a set of basic rhythm worksheets in 4/4, Cut, and 6/8 that I use with my band students. It's a quick and painless way in making you an accurate reader rather than guessing (speaking from experience). Send me an email with your snail-mail address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: