• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any Late Starters who became great trumpeters?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Any Late Starters who became great trumpeters? Reply with quote

Are there any really good professional trumpeters who didn't start playing trumpet until they were 50?

I started playing trumpet when I was 50, and do not play any other instrument or sing. All the trumpeters I read about started playing when they were kids. It would be cool to know of some that started later.

No matter what answers turn up, I'll keep playing because it is fun and I am slowly getting better. Nevertheless, it would be fun to know!
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so.. I just turned 49! At this point (after 3-1/2 yrs) I am still a work in progress, but I get better every week.... it's bound to add up eventually.
weeweetrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvidal is gonna win NY Phil and he's an old banker. We all in the trumpetherald community are so proud of him.
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
I hope so.. I just turned 49! At this point (after 3-1/2 yrs) I am still a work in progress, but I get better every week.... it's bound to add up eventually.

Don't give up - I am still a work in progress after 11 years!
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeweetrumpet wrote:
Nvidal is gonna win NY Phil and he's an old banker. We all in the trumpetherald community are so proud of him.

Cool! Who is he/she (what is the rest of their name)? Does he/she have a web site?
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he did start young, Doc Cheatham did his finest playing when he was over 70 years old.

Rob
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet2003 wrote:
weeweetrumpet wrote:

Cool! Who is he/she (what is the rest of their name)? Does he/she have a web site?

I have to win it first:) But I'm not a late starter. Started when I was 10, solfege, mouthpiece buzzing then after a month, right into the Arban manual, played Carnival of Venice when I was in the 8th grade. Wouldn't call that a late start.
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidal wrote:
Trumpet2003 wrote:
weeweetrumpet wrote:

I have to win it first:) But I'm not a late starter. Started when I was 10, solfege, mouthpiece buzzing then after a month, right into the Arban manual, played Carnival of Venice when I was in the 8th grade. Wouldn't call that a late start.

Thanks for the correction, but hopefully someone knows someone who is a successful professional late starter!
trumpetplayer0103

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[youtube] http://youtu.be/R3iXPA5vCuE

Tom Hooten claims to be a late starter. I don't know how old he was when he started, though. [/youtube]
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplayer0103 wrote:
[youtube] http://youtu.be/R3iXPA5vCuE

Tom Hooten claims to be a late starter. I don't know how old he was when he started, though. [/youtube]

Great video, thanks! However, part way through he explains that he was taking lessons in high school and then earned bachelors and masters degrees in music, so he is not a late starter. He changed his embouchure just after earning his bachelors degree, which is interesting.

Still looking and hoping that there are some great professional trumpeters who started playing in their 50's or later...
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is like Tiger Woods - how many times did he change his swing in search of perfection even after obliterating the field? He continues to change and refine his setup in search of the perfect balance between sound, flexibility and efficiency. I marvel at his process and search of perfection. He was already a great player when he started in LA but has grown so much during his short time here. I wonder what his inspiration is.

Must be me...

Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Tom is like Tiger Woods - how many times did he change his swing in search of perfection even after obliterating the field? He continues to change and refine his setup in search of the perfect balance between sound, flexibility and efficiency. I marvel at his process and search of perfection. He was already a great player when he started in LA but has grown so much during his short time here. I wonder what his inspiration is.

Must be me...

Off base, but interesting and hysterical!
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really - it was a comment toward the post directly above it.

Tom was a late starter of sorts if you consider he didn't start taking lessons until his senior year of HS, and he only took a couple.
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Barraclough of the Dallas Brass started in his second year of college, but he already played mean trombone when did the change to trumpet.
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmaraya wrote:
DJ Barraclough of the Dallas Brass started in his second year of college, but he already played mean trombone when did the change to trumpet.

Interesting, thanks! There might not be anybody yet, but it would be nice to know if there is anyone who is really a late starter - started playing trumpet at age 50 (plus or minus ten years), without previously playing a brass (or ideally any) instrument.
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet2003 wrote:
lmaraya wrote:

Interesting, thanks! There might not be anybody yet, but it would be nice to know if there is anyone who is really a late starter - started playing trumpet at age 50 (plus or minus ten years), without previously playing a brass (or ideally any) instrument.

I think this is the closest you could get so far:

http://www.hornsociety.org/home/ihs-news/26-people/honorary/577-charles-kavalovski
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmaraya wrote:
Trumpet2003 wrote:
lmaraya wrote:

I think this is the closest you could get so far:

http://www.hornsociety.org/home/ihs-news/26-people/honorary/577-charles-kavalovski

Cool example, thanks! His double career is very impressive. However, even though the odds appear to be getting longer and longer, I still hope to discover someone who started way later than high school...
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is always hope when it comes to what a person can achieve, no matter when they start.

A story I like to tell is about a woman I met at an Easter gig years ago. She was in her late 50s/early 60s, and when she started playing, it was clear she was a polished professional flautist and not the run of the mill part-timer who plays for church occasionally.

We got to chatting over the breakfast break between the rehearsal and the service and it turned out that she was a comeback player. She had played in high school and was good enough, but she got married right out of high school, had a few kids, and was largely a stay-at-home mom during that time. She didn't go to college after high school - her husband was the bread winner and provided quite well for the family, so her focus was on her kids and the home.

When her youngest child enrolled in college, she didn't want to sit around being an empty-nester, so she enrolled in college too, and decided to pick the flute back up. She'd enjoyed it back in high school and thought it would be fun.

By the time I met her she was teaching college-level flut, so she clearly excelled at it.

As long as you've got your health and your wits about you, it's never too late IMO - it just depends on how badly you want it, and if you have the time to truly pursue it. The lady from my story had the time, so she took it as far as she could go.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Trumpet2003

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I think there is always hope when it comes to what a person can achieve, no matter when they start.

A story I like to tell is about a woman I met at an Easter gig years ago. She was in her late 50s/early 60s, and when she started playing, it was clear she was a polished professional flautist and not the run of the mill part-timer who plays for church occasionally.

We got to chatting over the breakfast break between the rehearsal and the service and it turned out that she was a comeback player. She had played in high school and was good enough, but she got married right out of high school, had a few kids, and was largely a stay-at-home mom during that time. She didn't go to college after high school - her husband was the bread winner and provided quite well for the family, so her focus was on her kids and the home.

When her youngest child enrolled in college, she didn't want to sit around being an empty-nester, so she enrolled in college too, and decided to pick the flute back up. She'd enjoyed it back in high school and thought it would be fun.

By the time I met her she was teaching college-level flut, so she clearly excelled at it.

As long as you've got your health and your wits about you, it's never too late IMO - it just depends on how badly you want it, and if you have the time to truly pursue it. The lady from my story had the time, so she took it as far as she could go.

Thanks for the inspiring story and encouragement!
ErikE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Late beginner Reply with quote

I've had one student who didn't start until he was 48, I think. After four years of lessons, he joined a community band, able to play on their easier numbers. A year after that and he's able to do some easy jamming with friends on jazz tunes.

I don't think he'll be noted as an exceptional trumpeter, but he has fun playing on a regular basis, which was his goal to begin with.

Hang in there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: