• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cruise ship gigs, worth it?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Cruise ship gigs, worth it? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm thinking of applying to a number of cruise ship lines. I have an audition with Lime Entertainment on the 21st, they were almost immediate in their response. This is probably not a good sign. Does anybody have any insider information they'd be willing to share about the experience? Is it economically a viable choice? Is it worth trying?
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything that you should know that the contractors won't tell you.

www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105024&highlight=

One update - I've been told that some cruise lines are paying better for very qualified musicians. Still not what the coddled and spoiled cast are paid, but it is an improvement.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll need earplugs & fart blocker spray!

or maybe for your own security......

Link

it can be fun though both professionally and personally!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like to drink?

If so, DEFINITELY do it!
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't know why I haven't thought of this before for you... Go ask Kyle about it. Also, a lot of those cruise ship charts go up to around F.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took an audition with an agent this summer. It was an interesting learning process for me in an unfamiliar style. However I can't take up this kind of work now as my old career is luring me back.

I've always stayed out of pro playing since I feared that once it became a job it wouldn't be as enjoyable.

What really concerns me are stories of low pay or disrespect from the employers. It's such a pity musicians are disrespected like that, considering the skill levels involved and how long it takes to become really good.
zstudd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely worth it.
It's intense, it's a grind, it will build your endurance, it will make you think LONG AND HARD about the life of a traveling musician.
I don't regret it for one second. The sights, food, and socializing were great aspects as well.
Orchestra director was a completely toxic person, but that happens.
Give it a shot!
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest concern is range requirements. When I really go for it, I only have a high D about 60% of the time. High C is about 100%, as long as I'm not completely wasted. It takes about 3 solid hours for me to grow tired, and I've played doubles before in the past. I'm a soloist, not a high note guy. I own a dozen different mutes, can growl, and really play fast and intricate solos. I just hope some cruise line has a place for a jazz soloist trumpet player.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
My biggest concern is range requirements. When I really go for it, I only have a high D about 60% of the time. High C is about 100%, as long as I'm not completely wasted. It takes about 3 solid hours for me to grow tired, and I've played doubles before in the past. I'm a soloist, not a high note guy. I own a dozen different mutes, can growl, and really play fast and intricate solos. I just hope some cruise line has a place for a jazz soloist trumpet player.

Make sure you ask Kyle. He did this for years.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:

I think it'd be all about how well you can control your "jazz" urges.

Let me explain.

IMO, the best way to explain "jazz" on a cruise ship would be think of it as a very high & tight society gig, where you only want to play things that the pax can dance to without being distracted. If you're playing a solo and start going wild & crazy & playing outside...you're going to alienate the majority of the pax. And there's a good chance they will give negative comments on those solos in their after-cruise comments forms.

On my last contract, and only after the many continued childish rantings of the pianist (who considered himself to be a hard-core bob & fusion player) did the Cruise Director agree to have him lead a special "Jazz Jam Session" in one of the smaller bars on an afternoon when the ship was at sea. That meant the pax were all on board with nothing else to do but walk around the ship & drink (more $ for the ship).

It was announced & advertised for several days & a big deal made of it. It was to be the pianist, bass, drums & one of our two reed players. They had had a few short rehearsals to work on the tunes the pianist wanted to play.

The time comes, the band is there and maybe a dozen pax. Band plays the first tune, the solos were wild, and the crowd gives a smattering of applause. Most left after that tune. By the end of the 3rd tune, crickets could be heard.

It was a dismal failure. The drink revenue for that time in that bar was disastrous, and as it's been explained, ships are about nothing else except revenue from pax. If something doesn't make money for the ship that "thing" won't happen again.

Pax are there to dance, drink, eat & enjoy themselves, not to be impressed with how many original chorus' you can do on "Giant Steps." You're not there to educate anyone about jazz - you're there to submissively entertain.

This, of course, is not to be confused with the dedicated "Jazz Cruises," but my suspicion on those is the ship musicians are all given that time off & the music is played by the special hired-on featured bands.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

Pax are there to dance, drink, eat & enjoy themselves, not to be impressed with how many original chorus' you can do on "Giant Steps." You're not there to educate anyone about jazz - you're there to submissively entertain.
This is the Gospel in more venues than just cruise ships. Ya gots ta play what the peeps wanna hear, or often times be a background beneath what they're doing.
ktag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to consider it a point of pride that I'd always made a living on land and never had to do a ship gig. But, now I sometimes find myself thinking, "I really haven't slept with enough Eastern European dancers, I should've done a cruise ship gig when I was younger..."

More seriously though, it's about the only "entry level" gig left. There's certainly something to be learned on that kind of job...
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, audition tomorrow. No way in hell can I play these parts. A written double "A" I have to hit out of nowhere. I top out at an unstable high D. There are articulated E's and F's all over the place. If this has taught me anything, it's that if you can't scream, you can't play on a cruise ship. If I never even get to solo, how am I supposed to do the audition?
‘Pieces:
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, for the record, I don't play outside changes very often, because I find it untasteful and I don't like sounding dissonant. You can create great solos and play every note inside the realm of tonality.
‘Pieces:
Trumpetmannj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a solid a and could argticulate es and fs with any time, then you wouldn't be looking for a cruise ship gig. Take the stuff down and try to play with a good sound.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetmannj wrote:
If you had a solid a and could argticulate es and fs with any time, then you wouldn't be looking for a cruise ship gig. Take the stuff down and try to play with a good sound.

Trust me, having those notes does not guarantee gigs. If it did I'd be working more than I am (not complaining, I'm getting a good bit of work). If I'm missing out on a "can play some reasonably high notes reliably" sign up sheet somewhere, point me there and I'm in. What has gotten me gigs is doing the best I can to be reliable, and "paying my dues" when appropriate. The high notes can be helpful, but have never been a deciding factor. Maybe I am trying to break into a different scene than you are talking about, but, I think we are talking about the same thing.

Some fantastic players and great people do and have done the cruise ship thing. There is something respectable to me about anybody who can make a living in music. It's a challenge a lot of us here face, and I choose to be respectful especially to those who work hard to make a living in performance.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRoberts8 wrote:
...Some fantastic players and great people do and have done the cruise ship thing. There is something respectable to me about anybody who can make a living in music. It's a challenge a lot of us here face, and I choose to be respectful especially to those who work hard to make a living in performance.

Very good point and very well said.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, for the record, I don't play outside changes very often, because I find it untasteful and I don't like sounding dissonant. You can create great solos and play every note inside the realm of tonality.

I could start a whole thread about just this. I'll leave it at that.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:

Dissonance exists in the "realm of tonality".
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
Lol, audition tomorrow. No way in hell can I play these parts. A written double "A" I have to hit out of nowhere. I top out at an unstable high D. There are articulated E's and F's all over the place. If this has taught me anything, it's that if you can't scream, you can't play on a cruise ship. If I never even get to solo, how am I supposed to do the audition?

Your first mistake is that you think that anything creative is happening on these ships. These cats don't care if you can improvise. They want people who can read parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: