• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Special Trumpet a "Bright" Horn?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassman19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Olds Special Trumpet a "Bright" Horn? Reply with quote

Hi. I recently read an older discussion, I believe on Trumpetboards, (though it could have one from here on TH-- I can't recall for sure), where the OP asked a question about an Olds Special trumpet, and a couple of those who responded and commented claimed that it is a bit "brighter"- sounding horn than the typical sound profile of modern trumpets, implying its sound is not really appropriate, or up-to-date with contemporary trumpet performance sounds and styles. Does anybody here find that to be true, and if so, what particular models/versions of the Special have you had that experience?

My Special is one from 1960, the version often referred to as the "tri-color," or "tri-metal" horn, with brass on some tubing, brass bottom valve cylinders with nickel-silver balusters, some tubing, trim, and bracing also in nickel, and a nickel-silver bell, opening up to a bronze bell flare. My experience in playing it is I have found it to be a somewhat darker, and warmer-sounding horn, but which also projects very well.

Perhaps the Special is somewhat mouthpiece sensitive, and so its sound can be affected by the size/depth and type of mp its player uses? I play with a Bach 1C, which is a bit larger mp than most play, I suppose, so possibly that is partly why I am able to get a darker, warmer sound out of mine? Also, I purposefully play with a darker, more rounded and fuller tone in mind for my sound concept, so perhaps that is also a part of the reason behind my horn's sound as well?

What are your thoughts?
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Olds Special Reply with quote

Hello,
My 1948 Olds Special plays big and can be bright with a shallower mouthpiece.
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds produced a model called the "Special" from the late 1930's to the end of the company in 1979. There are four or five significant design changes over that 40 year span, including a Nickel Plated version in the '70's. I played one of these and it was on the bright side. I don't think you can generalize from one era of the Special to another. I've got a 1939 Special that plays fairly dark but it is a totally different horn from the tri-color Special or the nickel plated Special.

also administrator of Olds Central
www.olds-central.com
scott@95603
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Olds Special is from 1956 and I find it to be warmer sounding than my Schilke B3, even using the same mouthpiece, which is a Bach 1.5C. My Special is a very nice playing horn. I preferred it over an Olds Recording trumpet that I used to own. I think the Recording was either a '54 or '55 and was a very nice playing horn as well. Scott
English Besson cornet 1893
Kanstul 1530 cornet
hazentlewis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited an Old's Special (tri-color) about 10 years ago and haven't found something quite like it. It has a very balanced blow and feel yet a warm sound. I wouldn't consider this a "bright" or "lead" horn but with the proper mouthpiece (Olds 3) this horn will sing above high C. Typically I play with a conventional Bach 3C and focus on shaper a darker tone. The 3C compliments the balanced nature of the horn. I've even heard that Ryan Kisor (Jazz at Lincoln Center) used to play on 40s-50s Old's special and recording models.
1947 Martin Committee #3
1990 Bach Stradivarius 25
1967 Old's Special Fullerton Calif
1947 Conn 22B New York Symphony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: