• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Raw brass question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Raw brass question Reply with quote

To the guys who play raw brass horns: wax, or not? I do have a horn in raw brass, so I don’t think I have any sensitivity to it, though I don’t play it a lot.

But I have a horn incoming, does applying a caranuba wax hold off the patina? For how long, and does it feel either sticky or slippery?

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to wax my horns but got tired of messing with it. Besides, I like the patina and never seemed to be allergic to it.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I have a horn incoming, does applying a caranuba way hold off the patina? For how long, and does it feel either sticky or slippery?

Yes, a wax will help prevent a patina from developing, but it needs to be applied regularly or you will quickly start to get discoloration at the contact points.

If you decide not to apply wax, note that the patina doesn't develop evenly, and you'll wind up with discoloration from water spots. Bear that in mind if you really care about the appearance of your trumpet.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

I know you're aware of my raw finished flugelhorn, so I won't rehash the things I've written. Instead, I want to share something I do in the day-to-day. Years ago I bought a package of blue microfibre towels from Home Depot's cleaning aisle. They look like baby blue terry cloth. After ten years, I still have one or two fresh ones that we haven't used yet.

I prefer these to the yellow towels that Flip and others use, because I find them softer and yet more "grabby". Microfibre is supposed to have little hooks that scour whatever surface they touch and these blue towels do a great job of that without scratching. I also use them as spit rags to catch the moisture that accumulates during play sessions, which recently presented a problem.

I like how they work, but not how they look. Baby blue against concert black just isn't a good thing. So, I looked online and found a supplier of black microfiber towels on Amazon. I bought a package of 16, I believe. They have no tags and soft edge binding. The nap is thick and long on one side, which makes them very absorbent, once they have been laundered. They seem to be very color-fast, too. These new towels work even better than the blue ones.

I use a clean towel (no spit or valve oil) to wipe my flugelhorn down, periodically. This removes some of the dark layer and dull, rusty red that accumulates on the surface of the brass and copper. It's not as good as polishing, but it helps the metal look nicer longer between polishings. I prefer not to let much patina develop, other than the colors on the copper.

Btw, I tried an automotive TurtleWax product once. I can't say if any of it even stuck to the metal. My hands don't react to the brass or copper, so I don't use wax. It may not be a total waste of time, but I didn't observe any benefit. YMMV.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
X200

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands react with and smell terrible after handling raw brass, so I wear lightweight cotton gloves while playing natural trumpet. I view the patina as part of the deal with raw brass, so no polishing or waxing.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Brad,

I know you're aware of my raw finished flugelhorn, so I won't rehash the things I've written. Instead, I want to share something I do in the day-to-day. Years ago I bought a package of blue microfibre towels from Home Depot's cleaning aisle. They look like baby blue terry cloth. After ten years, I still have one or two fresh ones that we haven't used yet.

I prefer these to the yellow towels that Flip and others use, because I find them softer and yet more "grabby". Microfibre is supposed to have little hooks that scour whatever surface they touch and these blue towels do a great job of that without scratching. I also use them as spit rags to catch the moisture that accumulates during play sessions, which recently presented a problem.

I like how they work, but not how they look. Baby blue against concert black just isn't a good thing. So, I looked online and found a supplier of black microfiber towels on Amazon. I bought a package of 16, I believe. They have no tags and soft edge binding. The nap is thick and long on one side, which makes them very absorbent, once they have been laundered. They seem to be very color-fast, too. These new towels work even better than the blue ones.

I use a clean towel (no spit or valve oil) to wipe my flugelhorn down, periodically. This removes some of the dark layer and dull, rusty red that accumulates on the surface of the brass and copper. It's not as good as polishing, but it helps the metal look nicer longer between polishings. I prefer not to let much patina develop, other than the colors on the copper.

Btw, I tried an automotive TurtleWax product once. I can't say if any of it even stuck to the metal. My hands don't react to the brass or copper, so I don't use wax. It may not be a total waste of time, but I didn't observe any benefit. YMMV.

Thanks Brian (and everyone).

I’m thinking of going a similar route. I realize that if I wanted a lacquer horn, that’s what I should buy, but I’m thinking some consistent wiping after playing (which I do with silver or lacquer anyway) might be adequate, then an occasional polish with something like Flitz when it gets really dark.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: