• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Plunger size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonySwartz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on here about plungers and drilling a hole in them, using coins in the hole, etc. and about "sink plungers". But the problem is, when I ask for a "sink plunger" no one knows what I am talking about.

Home Depot only has 6" plungers or so it seems. A bell is around 5", so that is an inch bigger than the bell. I have a regular toilet plunger I use but I don't like the size of it.

Do they make 5" plungers?
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they must make 5" plungers. I have a 4" that a fellow trumpet player gave me and it is slight bit small. Try a local hardware store, they might have a better size selection.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or... for a bit more expense.. buy a plunger mute... it has a ring for your finger, and i think intonation is a little better.... and they have a cool swirly pattern
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the swirley pattern is what helps those plungers play in tune.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 5" plungers are made. Hunt the hardware stores and you'll eventually come across some. I found my last batch at Home Depot. 6" plungers are for toilets, I mean trombones! 4" plungers are for sinks, not trumpets. - Kyle
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those swirly patterns make me dizzy. I like my standard 4" sink plunger!

Paul

[ This Message was edited by: trombapaul2 on 2003-10-14 23:19 ]
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that this post has appeared somewhere on TH before. I would do a search, but I am in the midst of madly finishing an arrangement (is being performed in mere hours and the parts are still being written!) so am a bit busy!

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the right plunger mute is the one that works for you, your trumpet and the sort of music you are playing.

I have four plungers in my mute bag. Two of them are from the local music shop (one of each of the H&B plunger type mutes) and the other two are from the hardware store. I frequently use all four. They are all different sizes and all have slightly different sounds. You choose the one that works for the piece you are playing.

Saying that, it works fine if you are playing lead. You choose what you want to play on and everyone else has to match your sound. If you are playing in the section you have a duty to match up to what your section leader is playing on. Even if they choose one that you may not agree with, they are the leader, you follow their lead.

Just my humble thoughts on the matter.

Oh, yes - the swirly pattern definitely makes the sound better
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intonation is better with an actual plunger mute? As soon as you start covering the bell with ANYTHING, intonation goes right out the window and you have to use your ears to keep intonation.

Most guys I know have one plunger mute, period. I know one guy that uses the hard Stonelined mute, and another that uses the rubber one with the little swirlies in it, but the only reason he uses that over a regular plunger is that it was given to him. I've seen guys put holes in the center, but I don't know if that is because they were just screwing around with it one day and decided to punch a hole in it, or if they consciously put the hole there for sound purposes. As for the coin thing, overall I think that the difference that it would make in sound would be nominal. Same goes with the hole in my opinion because anytime I've ever used a plunger, the bell is only partially covered anyway.

I bought mine at the grocery store in the aisle that has stuff like batteries, metal polish, mops, etc. Just the standard, pink rubber 4" plunger that comes with the short 12" handle. I think that it cost a whole $2.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look in the RV section of your local Ace Hardware or Walmart. They had all kinds of cute little ones: 2", 3" and 4". I wasn't in the market (don't do much plunger work, at least with my horn -- darn them low flow toilets!)

Be sure to take the handle off. - Don
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike, if you are playing solo then use whatever you like the sound of. I know one guy that used a dead cat and it sounded great. OK, I made the cat part up. Nonetheless, I'm old enough to remember the old Doc Severinson album where everyone used styrofoam coffee cups and it was cool (for the '70's anyway).

But, I have a pet peeve about section guys using their hand when the piece calls for a plunger. The sound of the plunger is so much clearer, more in tune, and tuneful. Other than laziness, I don't know why so many good players accept the 4 fingered sub. - Kyle
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "subs": I once needed a plunger at a gig (or rather felt like using one in a solo) and ended up "customizing" a plastic water bottle. Cut off the bottom with my swiss knife, cut a hole in the middle, and voilà. Works pretty well - better than coffee cups, anyway, and much better than an empty hand.
Plastic ashtrays to the trick as well.

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: