• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lynzoil by Bach - invented by Lynn Nicholson

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
babet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Valve oil Reply with quote

There are no new formulas that are going to make your valves faster. Stop wasting time believing in this nonsense and focus on producing a nice sound on your horns
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve oil Reply with quote

A banned user wrote:
There are no new formulas that are going to make your valves faster. Stop wasting time believing in this nonsense and focus on producing a nice sound on your horns

That old catch-all "spend more time getting better" tag line. Fact of the matter is, valve oil is important. Yes, I can believe oil being faster, or lasting longer. Synthetics have come a long way since valve oil was a thing. The interaction with body chemistry as well as atmosphere (ever have a fog machine mess with valves? I have). It's good to have choice. What's wrong with more choice? Product competition improves the product... Or makes it cheaper...

Can you cite something that empirically states that there are no new formulas for oil that will make your valves faster?

Anyway enough with this forum shash, I'm going to go and try to make a nice sound on my horn. And oil my valves.

Mike

Ps I use hetman 1 and ultra pure. Essentially whatever is closest as those are both great oils that work for me and my horns. I really dislike blue juice. That is terribly inconsistent for me. And it stinks.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little science for those still reading:

http://www.nemc-partners.com/resources/articles/valve-oil-the-more-you-kno_54

Old data that was available from the Pro Oil folks back when they were still making it. Monette put Pro Oil Hybrid 141-A7 in his new horns, which is how I discovered it. When they had some business issues and went out, Dave switched (eventually) to Ultra Pure as Ken Saul was a client and the oil was really good. Ken now has a lighter viscosity for those who might require it.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if Europe could start a war over a dead archduke, trumpet players could start one over oil.

I always thought oil was a much more economical way to satisfy the n+1 jones than buying new horns. I'm running out of room in my case for the various potions. They all seem to work OK, and I plan to get some Monster soon because they are Connecticut guys and now this new miracle oil will soon be available. How much more fun can ya get for $5?
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: LYNNZoil Reply with quote

Hey...it's valve oil....you try it and like or you don't...Simple
Pickett Mouthpieces
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: LYNNZoil Reply with quote

CalicchioMan wrote:
Hey...it's valve oil....you try it and like or you don't...Simple

Absolutely!

And let's celebrate our accomplishments, which was Rich's intent in the OP.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several posts (and some of the posts responding to them) have been removed. The user responsible has been banned (again).

Users are not required to like every product in the world, but they are required to act like adults.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
I guess if Europe could start a war over a dead archduke, trumpet players could start one over oil.

I don't want to stray into politics so I won't mention any recent wars that might have been started over oil.

I also find the claims of new and better valve oil to be tiring and some over the top, but if someone does produce something that is good more power to them.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to hear is:
" This oil will work with any horn, any body fluids, any time, any place and will mix with all other oils no matter how dirty or clean your horn is."
Never hear that speil.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Winterized diesel fuel was a fad among the brass faculty at Utah State University during the one semester I attended there. Bought a gallon of it in 1980 for a buck. It smelled awful, of course...but it worked great. And no one ever wanted to borrow my valve oil.

That's because Logan is colder than Antarctica!
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About one or another oil being "better" than others, or "best", and people stating such; I cannot tell the difference between one or another oil and never could. They all lubricate the valves just fine. My valves are always free and fast whatever I use.
These aren't 18,000 RPM Formula One pistons we're lubing, just trumpet valves.

B/
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is different; I find significant variations among the relatively few oils I have tried (Al Cass Fast, Bach, Five Star, Tromba, BiNak, Blue Juice, probably few others I have forgotten). Some are faster than others, some seem to dry out during the course of a gig, some seem to almost always cause sticky valves, etc.

As has been said, body chemistry may play a big part, as well as valve construction and material. Almost anything is OK in my very old Bach; my newer horns with tighter valves are more picky.

FWIWFM, YMMV - Don

p.s. I don't get too hung up on the degrees of the folk trying out mixtures. An old quote is "Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic." The Arc floated... And yes I am well aware it's not a great analogy but I'm tired.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
My experience is different; I find significant variations among the relatively few oils I have tried (Al Cass Fast, Bach, Five Star, Tromba, BiNak, Blue Juice, probably few others I have forgotten). Some are faster than others, some seem to dry out during the course of a gig, some seem to almost always cause sticky valves, etc.

Me too. The list of valve oils that don't' irritate my throat with the fumes and also manage to keep my valves moving isn't that long. Granted, there are several well regarded ones that I haven't tried, but they're on a list to be purchased in the future.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Me too. The list of valve oils that don't' irritate my throat with the fumes and also manage to keep my valves moving isn't that long. Granted, there are several well regarded ones that I haven't tried, but they're on a list to be purchased in the future.

Yup.

It's not going to turn you into Maurice André, but who doesn't want quick, reliable valves, and who hasn't switched valve oils and noticed a difference? Anyway, what's the worst that can happen? Ten bucks down the drain and a few minutes cleaning the horn. Seems weird that a group of people who are willing to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on tweaking their horns suddenly turn hostile over valve oil...
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth noting that the original issue for me back in the day was the volatile smell and feeling i was getting a small dose of petroleum with every breath. i was pretty happy when the synthetics came along with their neutral odor.
this business is mostly a non issue these days, thankfully. now it's a race for slick action and longevity. for me it's the slickness because even if the oil would last a week or two i would be compelled to oil it daily. at that point though the dose could be reduced so it cuts both ways.
this happens to be an extremely happy topic for us, former al cass customers, and no point in making this a negative thing.
KMT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a gig a few years back (probably 10 or 15 actually) and this old-timer had a bottle of whale oil that he was using. Man did that stuff smell awful, but he swore by it.
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMT wrote:
I played a gig a few years back (probably 10 or 15 actually) and this old-timer had a bottle of whale oil that he was using. Man did that stuff smell awful, but he swore by it.

That's putrid. With all the fantastic odorless synthetics out there now, I cannot understand why one would use such crap.
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing locally since 81 and I have seen and smelled some valve oils that would turn you into a guitar player. I gave a guy and old bottle (anyone remember valve oil bottles with the built in eye dropper) the stuff stunk to high heaven but it worked well. The stuff actually ate the rubber in the eye dropper and soaked my case, had to throw away my case. I am a retired journeyman machine repairman and worked in the training center of a large GM plant before I retired. We would have lubrication seminars every couple of years and there were always advances in the oils. As our machinery got better and our tolerances got better our lubrication had to improve. If oil for $500,000 and up machinery keeps improving it figures it may improve for trumpets.
assorted other horns
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
An old quote is "Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic." The Arc floated...

Oh, no you didn't just introduce religion into this.

P.S. For others, in case you missed it, that's a reference to another thread recently.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a ton of valve oils on the market and I have tried a wide variety over the years. I have used Ultrapure for some time now in my main horn but occasionally use Hetman, Five Star, Zaja or whatever is available at the time on my Cornet. Over the years I have found that there are some oils that seem to have worked better for me with certain horns and not so well with others. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. Blue Juice is probably the most notable example.

since oils are not going to turn you into a great player all you need is one that does the job and your valves move smoothly. Then it is time to get back to practicing.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: