• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Ambassador Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this horn off e-bay for $60 plus shipping and it is in pretty good shape except the leadpipe. It has had some extensive work done on it (not very good work, I might add) and there is a patch soldered in at one of the turns.

When I play the horn, it is farily stuffy and unfocused throughout the range almost as if one of the valves was 1/5 way down.

My question is - are replacement leadpipes available out there and does this horn have any receiver issues - meaning does a standard cornet shank fit?

It's a neat little horn and I'd love to get it into playing condition, but I don't want to spend 5 or 10x what I paid to get it there.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I would do is to make sure that the valves are in the correct order. I've gotten many eBay horns that had the valves out of order. Try that and get back to us.

Rich
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are. It plays, just without any "slotting" whatsoever. I wonder if there is a gap issue in the receiver.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard cornet shank should fit (does mine, anyways). It's an old Olds, but plentiful, so I'd guess guys like Rich Ita and Wayne Tanabe might have leadpipes lying around. For that matter, a couple of years ago a guy bought a fairly decent Olds trumpet with a shot leadpipe and receiver, and then for $5 bought one with a crumpled bell but no other significant damage and swapped leadpipes (or bells -- I forget, I was still seeing green because I he got the whole deal for about $25!) As for the stuffiness, it could be a glob of solder is on the inside of the patch, blocking the pipe, or the felts are shot and so the valves are terribly misaligned, or it could just need a good cleaning!

HTH - Don
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cornet that plays well in the upper register, but starts getting stuffy and not responsive in the low register. What would be causing that?
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Rich Ita to take a look at it since he is only up the road in Marietta ...

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider buying another Ambassador for under a hundred and marrying the best parts of both. As for leadpipe/receiver, if the horn was made before 1954, it may have the larger receiver which, of course, requires a larger mouthpiece. Mark Curry makes them. Check your horn's serial number against the list on Olds Central to be sure. (Just search Olds Central on Google and Alan Rouse's site will come up.)

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: