• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing the horn with BPH/CPPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
totee

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Playing the horn with BPH/CPPS Reply with quote

Hey there, fellow trumpeters! First of all, let me introduce myself - i'm an amateur (or let's say semi pro, at best) player, I practice around 1,5-2 hours a day, and have yearly cca. 15-20 gigs with my local band. It's my first post here, and if so, why not start with a quite uncomfortable topic right away, right?
Well, I have recently been diagnosed with non bacterial prostatitis (at the age of 37, terrific...). The doc basically told me after the examinations that there is no point in trying to cure it with antibiotics or any medical products, he suggested to try a few natural things (herbal tea, pumpkin seed oil, a bunch of vitamins), plus kegel excercises. (He said that it should help a lot, and be a long term solution if I keep excercising and avoid bad habits, as it's still in a quite moderate stage.)
One of the first things I have asked if playing trumpet could harm the prostate, as I heard that lifting heavy weights can actually damage it. (As I know, that the heavy abdominal pressure is pushing the orgins downwards, which is slowing the blood circulation in the pelvic area - plus it's like you would put weights on your prostate, causing pressure on it). The doc said that it is not causing any problem urologically - however, i'm not sure about he knows the exact amount of physicality of playing the horn. My biggest fear is that in the long term, practicing and playing every day for long periods will worsen the disease on the long run.
However, if i'm trying to think logically, if it would be a real problem, basically half of the male wind instrument players (and singers) above 50 would be affected, as we all use belly breathing.
So guys, my question is if you have any experience about the matter, should I be worried about this, even stop practicing for long periods, or I just need stay on the healty side of the lifestyle scale, and not to overworry things? Playing the horn is basically the most relaxing and one of the most beloved things in my life, so it would be a huge blow If I would need to stop it for any reason.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately medical discussions are not permitted on TH. I think there could be benefits to discussing trumpet specific issues but I have no say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: