• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sovereign problems again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmamazon wrote:
I just bought a 928 sovereign off of the marketplace about 5/6 weeks ago.

I am going through the SAME thing. There is no reason that the horn, as far as I could tell, should play THAT bad compared to say my other cornet, the Getzen 3850...which in all honesty plays better threefold.

The horn I bought is in amazing condition. As far as I can tell it is almost new. It even came with a custom Besson slide to put the cornet in "A". Wowzers!

There has GOT to be something stupid silly easy to fix these Sovereigns.

Is it Gap related? Because inside the receiver there is DEFINITELY a gap JUST like a trumpet...but when you stick say a Denis Wick 2 cornet mouthpiece inside it instead of a 1/8 gap it is more like a 2 inch gap lol. A fellow bandmate who is a brass tech as well blew my mind...he said that there does exist a "European" shank cornet mouthpiece that is a much narrower shank....but I didnt believe him. Nevertheless there IS a lip or something EXACTLY like a trumpet receiver in the cornet's receiver. I finally took it to a local shop that has a BRAND NEW 928 Sovereign on the wall..and guess what..IT HAD THE "GAP" LIP TOO LOL! Yet that new horn on the wall played much better. I let the shop have my horn to try and figure it out...haven't heard from them in a couple weeks(which is usually a bad sign lol).

Anyway, from my playing there has got to be something very EASY to fix these horns. The mouthpieces I use on it are a Sparx 2, Denis Wick 2, Denis Wick RW2B, and a Wick Heritage 2b. They all play very stuffy, uneven, and bad on it...yet play wonderful on the Getzen.

I'm with you Lou. I play principal cornet in a competitive brass band here in the U.S.(we just won 2nd section at NABBA) I am NOT giving up on this horn and am determined to get to the bottom of this and make this horn work! I can tell there is a great horn in there...what's the key! These are supposed to be Brass Band horns! I mean for God's sake I also have a 1960s King 600 Student Cornet that plays circles around the recently purchased Sovereign...this is supposed to be a MUCH better horn!!!

Anyway...if ANYONE knows the magic key please help lol!

David Mazon

Hi David

I believe the lip you mention, is just a solder ring where the leadpipe and mouthpiece receiver meet, rather than the top of the leadpipe. My Imperial, Sovereign and Xeno have this too, but it is not as pronounced as the top of the leadpipe on a set-up which has an actual gap.

I have the exact same experience with my Sovereign. It is the only cornet, which I have had these issues with, and I prefer everything else.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
Lou,

Have you had the alignment of your valves checked?

That could possibly be causing the stuffiness.

-Dave

Hi Dave

No, I haven't, but I have done something in this regard. This cornet has felts in the finger buttons rather than on the top of the valve caps. They are a little too thick and the downstroke alignment is out. I have taken them out and tried my best to compress them. I have contacted Besson. They admit that they are initially a little too thick, but say that they should quickly compress to the right thickness.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassjunky wrote:
Two cornet players in my brass band play Sovereigns and have to make all sorts of adjustments to get them in tune above the stave. I think you have to accept they are just not great horns. I think they have inherent and variable defects, which is why you sometimes get a good one. I play a Sovereign flugel and intonation is only just manageable. Most players stay away from them too.

Hi brassjunky

Thank you very much. I agree, but I can't help asking myself the following:

Probably the top bands are using Prestiges now, but how do/did they play on the Sovereigns if they have these issues?

This is something which I just cannot get my head around, and why I think that it must be something easy to fix

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sovereign problems again Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
roynj wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

My Sovereign is driving me mad again....

a mismatch between me and my 3C and the Sovereign.

Hi Lou,
Assuming you have a relatively newer model Sovereign (French made), the build quality should be excellent. That being said, given your issue with the blow, I suggest having a trusted bandmate check it out for you.

Hi Roy

Thank you very much. There is nothing wrong with the cornet. Either there is a mismatch between the mouthpiece and the horn, or me and the horn. This is the 2nd 928 Sovereign I've had and I've also owned a 927 Sovereign, and they all play the same. I recently lent my Sovereign to a band colleague for a few weeks whilst his Sovereign was in repair, and he really liked it.

My Sovereign is anything but stuffy. I love the thing! The other idea I might suggest is to try an Alliance 3B mouthpiece on your cornet. I play with the Alliance 2a mp on my Sovereign and I find that it makes for a great combination. Since your chops are set for the 3C (long model), its likely that Alliance 3B will work very well for you. Don't give up on it.

I really do think that I am being awkward with this cornet. I am convinced that it wants a Denis Wick or Alliance mouthpiece, and not being fond of them, I keep wanting to play something else. I am going to try them again today. The main issue I find with DW and Alliance is the size. I want something in between the DW 3 and 4 size.

Roy

Take Care

Lou

Lou, if your looking for a pice between a Dw 3 and 4 you might try a Yamaha 13E4 which is between a Vb 5 and 7diameter respective to the Wick 5 and 7 diameter. The Yamaha 13E4 is approximately a VB 6 diameter
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've just done a big mouthpiece trial on my Sovereign. It is just a case of resistance. Either this cornet has more resistance than my Xeno or possibly needs more air than a tighter piece will allow. My gut feeling is that rather than being stuffy, this is a cornet that just works better with a larger throat and or backbore

I thoroughly warmed up on my base set-up, Bach trumpet/Bach 3C.

I then got out my Sovereign and tried Curry 3BBC., 3TC. and 3DC.. I do not like the playability nof the 3BBC., at least on the Sovereign. 3TC. and 3DC. play and sound very similarly, until I played louder and higher, and the sound of the 3DC. became too bright in the way that my Bach 3C cannot, as it requires a delicate approach.

I kept out the 3TC., then started on the Denis Wicks. The 4B is too small and I preferred the sound and playability of the 3B over the discontinued DW3C.

I then tried the Bachs and Bach copies. Bach 3 is too tight, as is 3C top/Kanstul B10 backbore combination and 3C with B10 backbore and 25 throat. Have concluded that Bach10 backbore is just too tight on this cornet. Quite liked Bach 3B with Bach 7 backbore and slightly preferred Bach 5A with 24 backbore.

I quite like my Yamaha 16E also, and it played along the lines of the DW3B. Didn't however seem to suit the Sovereign as much as the Xeno.

Have concluded that there is nothing wrong with this cornet. Actually it is a very nice cirnet, but it needs a more open mouthpiece. I'm yet to decide between the Curry 3TC., Denis Wick 3B and Bach 5A as a brass band set-up (I have a feeling that the Bach 5A could do with the throat being opened up to a 24), and I've decided to have the throat opened up on my 3C top and B24 backbore as a concert band set-up. I thought that I'd try a 24 throat first.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sovereign problems again Reply with quote

cornet74 wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
roynj wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

My Sovereign is driving me mad again....

a mismatch between me and my 3C and the Sovereign.

Hi Lou,
Assuming you have a relatively newer model Sovereign (French made), the build quality should be excellent. That being said, given your issue with the blow, I suggest having a trusted bandmate check it out for you.

Hi Roy

Thank you very much. There is nothing wrong with the cornet. Either there is a mismatch between the mouthpiece and the horn, or me and the horn. This is the 2nd 928 Sovereign I've had and I've also owned a 927 Sovereign, and they all play the same. I recently lent my Sovereign to a band colleague for a few weeks whilst his Sovereign was in repair, and he really liked it.

My Sovereign is anything but stuffy. I love the thing! The other idea I might suggest is to try an Alliance 3B mouthpiece on your cornet. I play with the Alliance 2a mp on my Sovereign and I find that it makes for a great combination. Since your chops are set for the 3C (long model), its likely that Alliance 3B will work very well for you. Don't give up on it.

I really do think that I am being awkward with this cornet. I am convinced that it wants a Denis Wick or Alliance mouthpiece, and not being fond of them, I keep wanting to play something else. I am going to try them again today. The main issue I find with DW and Alliance is the size. I want something in between the DW 3 and 4 size.

Roy

Take Care

Lou

Lou, if your looking for a pice between a Dw 3 and 4 you might try a Yamaha 13E4 which is between a Vb 5 and 7diameter respective to the Wick 5 and 7 diameter. The Yamaha 13E4 is approximately a VB 6 diameter

Hi cornet74

Thank you very much. I keep meaning to try a 14E, as the Yamaha trumpet 14B4 seems to correlate pretty well with my Bach 3C.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise;

Next time you are in Spain on holiday, come and see me and try my French made 928. I am extremely happy with mine.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
Louise;

Next time you are in Spain on holiday, come and see me and try my French made 928. I am extremely happy with mine.

Hi

Thank you very much for your kind offer. My Sovereign is however also a 2013 french made one.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ford850
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lou,

Sounds like Dieter got the only good-playing Sovereign that has been made...thus far.
If you reread my "Sovereign issues" post I think you may find some things to look for in your horn. From what little I've seen the Besson quality control is still pretty bad. I put a lot of time and work in taming my French-made Sovereign and it is a pretty good player now but I recently played a new one at a local store and it has serious "issues" for a three thousand dollar horn and doesn't play nearly as well as my "repaired" horn.
I haven't read the entire thread but has anyone else played your Sovereign and if so what was their opinion of its playability?
From what I've read I certainly suspect it is not a mouthpiece problem but a problem that may be minimized by mouthpiece choice. Good luck!
Getzen Renaissance 20S
Stomvi Master Bb cornet
Belcanto C
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of 'repairs' did you do to your cornet?

Mine was a store demo, so maybe it was more carefully chosen by the distributor.
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ford850 wrote:
Hey Lou,

Sounds like Dieter got the only good-playing Sovereign that has been made...thus far.

Hi

I don't know about that, but they are definitely variable. A player in my band has a band issued one, that is one of the best cornets I have ever played, but I admittedly tried it with only a Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece.

If you reread my "Sovereign issues" post I think you may find some things to look for in your horn.

Thank you very much.

From what little I've seen the Besson quality control is still pretty bad.

That is a shame.

I put a lot of time and work in taming my French-made Sovereign and it is a pretty good player now but I recently played a new one at a local store and it has serious "issues" for a three thousand dollar horn and doesn't play nearly as well as my "repaired" horn.

That is not good to hear at all.

I haven't read the entire thread but has anyone else played your Sovereign and if so what was their opinion of its playability?

I lent my Sovereign for a couple of weeks recently to a long time Sovereign player, whilst his was in for repair. His opinion was that he has always thought his own personal Sovereign to be a good one, but that mine plays just as well, just a little differently. I suppose the little differently could be seen as a negative, as ideally they should all play the same, but in reality that probably isn't possible, and his Sovereign is I believe a 1980s one with the shorter mouthpiece receiver, external valve springs etc, so probably would be a little different. Anyway, he thought that mine played well./b]

From what I've read I certainly suspect it is not a mouthpiece problem but a problem that may be minimized by mouthpiece choice.

[b]My own opinion is that this cornet was possibly designed to play well with probably the most popular British cornet mouthpiece, the Denis Wick, and probably most likely play tested with one. Someone once kindly sent me a link to a document detailing the design and testing stage of the first 928 Sovereign, and from memory, I believe that the leadpipe was chosen from play tests with a lot of top players. If they were predominantly playing Denis Wick mouthpieces, you are likely to end up with a cornet that favours a mouthpiece with a large throat and open backbore. I therefore really believe that it is a mouthpiece compatability issue, but of course I may be wrong.

Good luck!

Thanks very much.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the manufacturer is freely admitting the pads under the caps are too thick & breezily telling you to wait until they bed in, then I wouldn't have much faith in the felts that govern the upstroke either. You can get an idea by removing the 3rd slide & the 3rd valve & looking down the tubes to see how the middle valve sits on the upstroke. You'll need a pencil light. If it turns out that both up & down strokes are out because of the felts, you need to fix that first. I'm not talking a precision valve alignment here. If they are out, your eyes are good enough to see the problem.

Cheers, Frank
Besson Meha Bb Tpt
Selmer 99 Radial
Conn Connstelation 36B
Conn Connstelation 28A
B&H Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha 635T Flugel Horn.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I have contacted Besson. They admit that they are initially a little too thick, but say that they should quickly compress to the right thickness.

This answers everything. A company that makes a precision instrument yet thinks it's good enough to put oversize felts in so they can wear down to the right thickness needs its collective head read. So the felt compresses and is better, and then wears a bit, compresses a bit more and is too thin. New issue, and the thing was right for how long? A few days / weeks? So you buy new felts and start the same old problem.

I somehow think you need to buy a big black marker pen. Take the sovereign, put it in the case and shove the case to the back of the wardrobe. Then write Sovereign in big letters on your Yamaha's bell and just play it instead. If anyone says a thing about it not being a Sovereign, just smile and point to your art work.

This rubbish about all playing the 'right' cornet to blend and make the right sound is just that: total absolute rubbish! As an example, today I played the Arutunian concerto on a Bb, and in the second half played my Thein C, matching up to a Schagerl Penelope Bb and a Bach 37, then two Bach 229/25H. The two pieces were Nimrod and Pomp & Circumstance #1. We blended just fine with the C trumpet on 3rd and cornet parts. The other players were very good college students. No Buds, no superstars, we were just regular players doing their best and making a fair job of it.

Look at Berlin Phil. They play on different instruments and blend just fine. Same in any professional ensemble to a degree. there will be players who match up and like their horns. Some who don't and some who play what they like to and make it work

I know you won't like my suggestion, but think of all the angst you WON'T have, and how much more you'll enjoy playing an instrument that matches you and plays well! Seems obvious from here...

cheers

Andy
ford850
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter....most of my saga is documented in this thread http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133640
To summarize I bought a used Sovereign, made in France, which did not play well at all. Much of the cornet's tubing did not line up and there were large steps inside the bore of the horn so I took a round file and smoothed all of those steps out....removing a bunch of metal in the process. This was true in most of the slides as well. None of the ends of the tubing had been cleaned up and the edges were rough which also restricted air flow and created turbulence ..these had to be cleaned up too. The mouthpiece receiver was not set all the way onto to the leadpipe so I reset it, moving it in .330" I also put a temporary brace on the lower end of the leadpipe to the third valve slide which helps intonation above the staff.

Lou, any of the above things can be checked on your horn and if you find an obvious problem this is something that Besson will fix if it is still under warranty.
Getzen Renaissance 20S
Stomvi Master Bb cornet
Belcanto C
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you took a round file and smoothed all of those steps out....removing a bunch of metal in the process.

How did you do that?
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankM wrote:
If the manufacturer is freely admitting the pads under the caps are too thick & breezily telling you to wait until they bed in, then I wouldn't have much faith in the felts that govern the upstroke either.

Hi FrankM

Thank you very much for this.

I remember ordering some replacement parts from Windraft Ltd regarding the valve alignment. I have them in a bag upstairs and they look identical to the felts in the finger buttons, maybe the very merest fraction thinner.

They however have part number BBH6070 on the bag, which seems to be an internal valve felt:

http://www.dawkes.co.uk/besson+-+medium+valve+felt+soft+stop+and+hawkes+-+besson.dm?catno=bbh6070

I cannot find my original email to Dawkes, but their reply states:

The correct valve 'felt' is called a medium soft stop and is our part no. BBH6070 priced at £0.50 each

I'm therefore not sure which felts I have changed, and have emailed Windcraft Ltd to ask them the part number for the finger button felts and internal valve felts.

You can get an idea by removing the 3rd slide & the 3rd valve & looking down the tubes to see how the middle valve sits on the upstroke. You'll need a pencil light. If it turns out that both up & down strokes are out because of the felts, you need to fix that first. I'm not talking a precision valve alignment here. If they are out, your eyes are good enough to see the problem.

Thanks very much for this. I'll take a lot when I have a moment. This is one of the instances (along with cleaning) when I hate triggers, as of course, you cannot remove the 3rd slide, without undoing the screws on the trigger.

Cheers, Frank

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Wed May 06, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I have contacted Besson. They admit that they are initially a little too thick, but say that they should quickly compress to the right thickness.

This answers everything. A company that makes a precision instrument yet thinks it's good enough to put oversize felts in so they can wear down to the right thickness needs its collective head read. So the felt compresses and is better, and then wears a bit, compresses a bit more and is too thin. New issue, and the thing was right for how long? A few days / weeks? So you buy new felts and start the same old problem.

Hi Andy

Thank you. This is basically my email to Besson:

I recently bought a new 928 Sovereign from Phil Parker Ltd in London, and was surprised to notice that the finger button felts seem a little on the thick side and protrude slightly below the finger buttons.

With my tiny hands, unless I push the valves down fairly hard, the felt doesn't compress sufficiently to fully align the valves on the downstroke.

Is this simply a case of the felts initially being a little on the thick side to allow for them to compress slightly with normal use over the first few months of playing?

Is their an alternative available to purchase, such as a neoprene version with the thickness of a compressed felt etc?

And their replies:

Hello Louise,

The felt may compress slightly over time.

I don't think there is an alternative to the button tops so I suggest wait a month or so and see if you still need a further suggestion after that time.

You could also ask Parkers (brass experts) for their thoughts.

Regards,

Tim

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Timothy Barrett
Sales Manager UK, Ireland & French Horn Specialist
www.buffet-group.com

Dear Louise

forgive my late response, and I also have copied our chief tester Roger Webster in on this, as he test on a monthly basis the instruments.

I believe we have changed the felts and they do seem a little large but am under the impression when played in they do compact, but perhaps Roger would be best to advise.

I look after sales to Parkers and if there are any issues i am sure we can resolve it for you

regards

Lyndon

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Lyndon Chapman
Sales Manager UK and Northern Ireland. Salvation Army Adviser.
www.buffet-group.com

I somehow think you need to buy a big black marker pen. Take the sovereign, put it in the case and shove the case to the back of the wardrobe.

My Sovereign does live in the back of the wardrobe lol.

Then write Sovereign in big letters on your Yamaha's bell and just play it instead. If anyone says a thing about it not being a Sovereign, just smile and point to your art work.

I do play my Xeno instead, but without the marker pen lol.

This rubbish about all playing the 'right' cornet to blend and make the right sound is just that: total absolute rubbish! As an example, today I played the Arutunian concerto on a Bb, and in the second half played my Thein C, matching up to a Schagerl Penelope Bb and a Bach 37, then two Bach 229/25H. The two pieces were Nimrod and Pomp & Circumstance #1. We blended just fine with the C trumpet on 3rd and cornet parts. The other players were very good college students. No Buds, no superstars, we were just regular players doing their best and making a fair job of it.

Look at Berlin Phil. They play on different instruments and blend just fine. Same in any professional ensemble to a degree. there will be players who match up and like their horns. Some who don't and some who play what they like to and make it work

I fully agree with all you say.

I know you won't like my suggestion, but think of all the angst you WON'T have, and how much more you'll enjoy playing an instrument that matches you and plays well! Seems obvious from here...

No. I don't mind at all and fully understand your suggestion. It was partly owing to your previous similar advice, that I bought my Xeno in the first place. I'd sell the Sovereign, if I could get a reasonable price for it, but that doesn't seem possible.

Take Care

Lou

cheers

Andy

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ford850 wrote:
Dieter....most of my saga is documented in this thread http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133640
To summarize I bought a used Sovereign, made in France, which did not play well at all. Much of the cornet's tubing did not line up and there were large steps inside the bore of the horn so I took a round file and smoothed all of those steps out....removing a bunch of metal in the process. This was true in most of the slides as well. None of the ends of the tubing had been cleaned up and the edges were rough which also restricted air flow and created turbulence ..these had to be cleaned up too. The mouthpiece receiver was not set all the way onto to the leadpipe so I reset it, moving it in .330" I also put a temporary brace on the lower end of the leadpipe to the third valve slide which helps intonation above the staff.

Lou, any of the above things can be checked on your horn and if you find an obvious problem this is something that Besson will fix if it is still under warranty.

Hi

Thank you very much.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
No. I don't mind at all and fully understand your suggestion. It was partly owing to your previous similar advice, that I bought my Xeno in the first place. I'd sell the Sovereign, if I could get a reasonable price for it, but that doesn't seem possible.

The great thing is about these "gold standard" instruments (cough, cough) is that there's always another sucker willing to buy in to the "mystique"...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to convince some university in England to host an ITG meeting over there. Then you could sample hundreds of different models one after another and find something that really works for you.

BTW, I wouldn't argue with a manufacturer about valve alignment. If they felt like it was important, they'd do them before they left the factory, not give you that old, lame argument about waiting for pads to "break in". I guess all the people getting paid for valve alignments are glad they don't, but at some point, you'd think at least a few of the larger volume builders would start down that path. Currently, it's only a few very small makers that do valve alignments before delivering the horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: