• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning Mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetDoctors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Tuning Mutes Reply with quote

I apologize if I missed this topic if it's discussed in another topic, but new mutes come with thick corks. Any advice on shaving them down? What does that do for the tuning and timbre?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mute shortens the horn and makes it play sharp. Some are worse than others. Very thick corks may make it play less sharp, perhaps a hair flat (though that seems somewhat unlikely), and can affect the sound. Sanding down the mutes can help intonation and sound as well as help the mute better fit the bell. Of course it is hard to add back material if you go too far, and what real trumpet player owns a mute without a few dings and nicks from falling out of the bell?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a new mute, I'll shave / sand / emery board the corks until I get the sound that I want from that particular mute. When I hear a certain "ring" or "shimmer" or "lushness" in the sound, that's when I stop adjusting corks.

That's also usually close to where the mute plays in pitch, so I seldom have to make any tuning slide adjustments.

I like the self-adhesive corks...for obvious reasons. I also shape to put a rounded crown in the middle of the cork - for me, that grabs easier in the bell & is also easier, quicker, and quieter to remove.

If your mute consistently squeaks when you remove it, use a little bit of paraffin wax on the cork. And I mean a little bit, too, like 2 or 3 gentle rub passes on the cork. It's very easy to put too much on, and then your mutes slip out, which will always at the worst of times. If you do put too much on, go back to the emery board to remove until it's where you want it.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this link from Roger Ingram's mute restoration site carefully.

http://mutemeister.com/Corks.html

It works very well. If more people understood this, we wouldn't see so many posts blaming mute models for being out of tune.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever bothered to shave the corks on my H&B cup, and that was primarily to mellow the tone. I used a really coarse file that works great.

I find that most straight mutes sharpen the horn. Before I ever considered shaping the corks for intonation I just kept trying mutes and settled on the JoRal which seems to be better right out of the box.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: