• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just wanted to share a moment of inspiration

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MannyLaureano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's late (for me, anyway), about midnight and I don't think I'll be getting to sleep anytime soon. I've just returned home from hearing Wynton Marsalis play a set at"Brilliant Corners" a fledgling jazz club in St. Paul. I can only describe the experience of hearing Wynton play in an intimate setting such as that one (65 seats, total) as a complete inspiration.

When I say that, for me, it was a life-changing experience I'm prepared to have that sentiment dismissed as only so much hyperbole and over- reaction, Well, so be it. For those in attendance it was 75 or so minutes of immersion into a performance of jazz that had to be of the rarest type.

Wynton's playing was purposeful. I have to believe that every note was a statement that came not as an accident, rather, like a vocal expression inhibited by nothing. There was a direct line from his heart to his lips and fingers.

The sound was the thickest I have ever heard on any brass instrument. If he wanted every tone to be perfectly centered, it was. If there was ever a sound that was not pristine it was there by design, once again, not by chance. He covered the full range of his instrument with an apparent ease that had all assembled wondering if trumpet playing was as easy as he was making it out to be! Again, it was not a question of showing off or anything as trivial as that. It was no more showing off than a bird in flight ,doing what it does naturally and with purpose.

It was a man sharing his gift for communication with a gathered crowd that appreciated his message, nothing more. So, what was the lesson learned? I learned that we don't practice in order to be the best, the fastest, or the highest. You practice so that your technique becomes the vehicle to get you closer to your heart. When you get that close you can speak through your horn and be understood you can expose your soul without fear. Why would one be afraid to "speak" when that message is sincere and truthful? That's what practice gets you: closer to the truth. the more you enjoy what you do, the more your audience appreciates what you have to say. For the rest of my musical life I will find myself compelled to ask when I play something, "For whom am I doing this?"

Forgive my rambling and thank you, colleagues, amateurs, and students alike for the opportunity to share my enthusiasm for a moment of inspiration.

Sincerely,
Manny Laureano

[ This Message was edited by: on 2003-10-22 00:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2003-10-22 00:35 ]
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Manny: We only met once, but I have heard so much about you and your fine playing in the Minnesota Orchestra. People still speak fondly of you and your playing here in Seattle. I wish I could have heard the music you describe- it sounds like Wynton is really on top of his game. We should all go hear him soon if his playing is even close to your description.
Fellow THers , please welcome a very top rank orchestral trumpeter. Mr. Laureano is one of the very best !
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny,

For my birthday present this year my Wife is taking me to hear Wynton in Tucson. For some reason he has managed to make it to Tucson every November for the last several years, and I'm especially looking forward to this year's concert after reading about your wonderful experience.

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to read the book "Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within" by Kenny Werner, but your words echo much of the content that he shares with the reader. When you say, "You practice so that your technique becomes the vehicle to get you closer to your heart" it is very clear that you live these words yourself! I'm certainly glad that you were there to experience that magic concert and then could share your feelings with all of us.

Take care,
King1500
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the board. It is always nice to have the pros on here offering their thoughts and opinions.

I heard Wynton here in Canada a few months back and he was exactly as described by Mr. Laureano. It was first rate playing all night long.

Craig
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how I felt after seeing Wynton last - incredible player, and I always feel priviledged to be able to watch him play, but I always enjoy his concerts more than anybody else's.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto...Wynton Marsalis's performance at Brilliant Corners was incredible. I have been a critic of Mr. Marsalis in the past, esp. in regards to his stance on jazz history and innovation. One thing that cannot be denied is that he loves jazz and is committed to spreading its gospel.
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny,

Once again, I learn something more from you. Even though I was not able to make it to Wynton's set last night, I felt I was "there", just by reading your re-cap.

For all of you on this Forum, Manny is not only a world-class musician, he is a world-class human being. And the same can be said for Wynton.

Mike
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Manny---I look forward to your posts and again thanks for sharing this about Wynton.

Hopefully we'll touch bases again in the future...if we can convince Dave to go for another open house-Clinic---in which I look forward to hearing you and sharing great trumpet times.
Dave is such a great host and we all leave that place feeling betta' about why we love to play trumpet

Don Shultz...
Gig Harbor-Seattle trumpet geek...
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to welcome Manny first off, and I'd also like to mention a little something that Wynton told me in my mini lesson with him. It was to the basis of have the technical aspescts down, because thats like the languange. Without that, you can't speak very well. Also that you should be playing "for" something. That little thing that has inspired you, or a person, etc. Anyways I'll end of by saying that if anyone gets a chance to approach Wynton, do so. He is very humble, accaomidating and an all around great guy. Along with the rest of the LCJO.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post a pic so I'm trying to get that done....

"90% of trumpet music is below high C"

[ This Message was edited by: SHS_Trumpet on 2003-10-22 15:21 ]
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics, Andrew!

TD

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetherald on 2003-10-22 16:05 ]
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

WAY COOL!!!

-Scoots
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton is a very giving guy. I remember playing basketball with him and a student of mine in Dallas in the 80's before a performance at a festival. He was very gracious then as well as other times I've had the good fortune to hang with him a little bit.

Artistically, he is uncompromising, and that gets him in trouble with some folks, unfortunately. I've yet to hear a note he's played that I didn't like, myself.

TD
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great (!!!!!!!!!) post Manny. The words you wrote speak volumes on the musician Wynton is and also his vision as a performer. Simply put, he's the man.

Thanks for taking time to write such a well-thought post. Just when I thought the ship was sinking on this site you threw me a life vest.

I look forward to reading all of your posts in the future.

Sincerely,

Trent Austin
http://www.trentaustin.com
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Andrew! Out of interest, what horn are you playing there? Also, is Wynton any good as a pianist?
baroquetrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the the picture I took with Wynton that's sitting on my desk right now...too bad it's not on the computer, or I'd post it. Unfortunately no scanner at college.

I felt very similar when I took a trip up to DC to see him a Kennedy Center. That was the best concert I've ever seen, it did much more for my playing than the same amount of practice could've done. But of course the best part was getting backstage to talk to him afterwards. I could've kicked myself for forgetting to grab my horn on the way out. Then again, there's always another time...I'm planning a trip now to NY to see Wynton at Lincoln Center, or wherever he's playing next that's closest to good ol' Virginia.

-Pat
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-23 09:03, JackD wrote:
Great pics Andrew! Out of interest, what horn are you playing there? Also, is Wynton any good as a pianist?

I was playing a Courtios Evolution I with a GR/Northern Brass GP***

Wynton was pretty good at piano, no monk, but a heck of a lot better than our pianist in jazz band, or for that matter pretty much anyone I've played with.
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that'd be awesome to meet Wynton. I'm gonna take to heart the advice and anything else said...I think it's really going to help my playing.

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently been listening to Wytons 'live at the Village Vanguard' 6cd set. Words can not describe the playing, it is on such an incredible level. It is sad that we have such devision in music over wynton. He has done so much for music, and inspiring young players. He is a master improvisor. His time ,sound and expressive powers are unbelievable. I have been lucky enough to see him play live 3 times and he has always played incredibly moving solo's, especially on ballads. I would love to hear him and keith Jarret get together and play a ballad!!!
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny,

I have to comment on my experience with the Wynton concert that I attended in Tucson last week at Centennial Hall on the U of A campus. You so eloquently expressed the feelings that I also experienced. I want to briefly mention several of the pieces that especially moved me.

In the first set he kicked off Knozz Moe King (one of the tunes that I believe was on his Think of One album that came out when I was in High School). It was at an absolutely blistering tempo and his clarity, sound, and ideas were truly not to be believed! This was a “signature” piece that was his calling card for so many years, and I missed hearing it when I have seen him with the LCJO. After his lengthy choruses, the sax player came out and played something completely different at a more comfortable tempo, and then Wynton returned to the stage to finish the tune. After they finished, he commented that he loves his “young” rhythm section. He said, “I kicked that tune off faster than normal in a key that was unfamiliar to Wess (sax), and they (the rhythm section) just came with me. He opted to play something else that worked better for him!” I thought that was great! Talk about pressure.

In the second half, Stardust was one of the most beautiful things that I have ever heard. This piece is very special for me because it is the one and only tune that I have ever transcribed (many years ago) from I believe Hot House Flowers. Well, his exploration of the extreme upper register with a very delicate dynamic was nothing short of dazzling. And the way in which he would just descend into the “normal” register with no seams what so ever made it look just effortless.

Not only was Wynton a marvelous performer, he was also a storyteller, composer, and jazz historian (and literally wearing each hat with complete command). His story about Hoagy Carmichael and Louis Armstrong was priceless and really capped off a beautiful moment with his duet with Eric Lewis on piano.

As a Dad with three little boys, however, the piece that won my heart was “The Magic Hour”. Assuming the role of storyteller, he painted the picture of the piece before they began playing. It was in four movements and described the time that parents and little kids experience just before bedtime. He said the first movement was a very up tempo four-four swing to illustrate the frenetic energy of little kids before bed and the corresponding energy of the parents trying to keep up with the kids. The second movement was the blues to bring everything down so that the bedtime routine could begin. Movement three was an Afro-Hispanic Groove to describe the routine of brushing teeth and story time and prayers. And finally the fourth movement was a ballad describing that quiet time where the kids are falling asleep and the parents get some quiet time together. The playing on this piece in itself was magical and his story made it that much more meaningful.

Finally, the “encore” was a piece called “Free To Be” and was absolutely stunning (and as you say, superlatives may seem overused, but they are so appropriate to everything that he played that night). Somehow he managed to make his horn sound like a chicken in a duet with the sax player. After the several choruses of solos, the sax, piano, and drummer left the stage with Wynton and the bass player sharing a duet. And it was the most amazing thing I have ever heard. Wynton was doing a half valve figure in the register between high C and double C that was gentle and very rhythmic at the same time. His ability to convey what he was hearing in his soul was just effortlessly coming out his bell.

As you can tell, I enjoyed my experience tremendously!

Take care and thanks for the preview to my equally special evening!

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2003-11-15 02:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: derek reaban on 2003-11-17 14:55 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: