• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Paul Mayes system

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Paul Mayes system Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAlLI-O3xk

this is pretty interesting .

regards

tom

Last edited by deleted_user_680e93b on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul's a fantastic player and a great example of what can be done when air power and proper use of tongue level is developed - along with all other aspects of playing ability. In particular the fast intervals he tongues between the extremes of register is very telling. These are the type of exercises Claude Gordon had his advanced students playing. Also, the way he can cleanly multiple tongue up to G above High C makes it clear to me he uses what Claude called K-Tongued Modified, and others call Dorsal Tonguing (this is the way all the virtuosos tongue). Personally, one of the things that really made it clear how much better K-Tongue Modified type tonguing is for me, was when after incorporating it into my playing I soon found that I was able to multiple tongue pretty close to the very top of my register (where as before I learned KTM, I had trouble double or triple tonguing much above G on top the staff).

Whatever new "system" he says he is developing now, note that in videos he posted as much as eight years ago, he already had his abilities in the upper register.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student

Last edited by John Mohan on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Paul Mays system Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAlLI-O3xk

this is pretty interesting .

regards

tom

He does some exaggerated lip roll-in when showing his setup. I don't know if that's what he advocates but it obviously works for him. His teeth/lip configuration may be conducive to that but it doesn't work for everyone.

Kent
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's tucking and rolling. Clark Terry talks about it as does Jon Faddis and many others.

The sound clips speak for themselves. I believe he's really on to something, and I'm looking forward to his future videos.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the video a couple of times i keep coming back to a few things, the first is the sound of his inhale, it just sounds likes its really efficient and filling the lungs, second is the neck puff that occurs when he is ascending the scales. It looks and sounds like he is really compressing the air in his throat and oral cavity up through his lungs, Another thing is the mouthpiece pressure seems so consistent from bottom to top. It kind of hits home for me again about one of your posts mike, that i recently quoted about mouthpiece pressure, which Btw, has been very helpful during the last few practice sessions i have implemented it in. Looking forward to seeing what he will present in the future.

regards,

tom
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it helped, Tom.

A little bit of logic goes a long way.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike,

I have found that it really helps to focus my lower register greatly. Which was a great surprise. I use curry precision 00 sizes and sometimes the lower register (below the staff) would be a problem after i played above the staff for a while. Wasn't really a problem that i addressed because most of the stuff i play is above the staff anyway, but it has solidified the whole scale from low F# to F# above high C. I just have to do this enough to not have to think about it. That's always the tough part. I think that i had spent so much time trying not to apply pressure that i was actually making it harder than it needed to be.

regards

tom
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great man. I bet the sound is more centered and focused as well.

In Reinhardt speak; you've found your legs and you're keeping them throughout your playing range.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am going to have to read my Routines and Encyclopedia books one of these days, But not yet, not until i do this for a while, You know the old adage, A teaspoon will cure and tablespoon will kill !

regards,

tom
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what mouthpiece he is playing? I think the Wick booster may account for a large part of his success. Suprising he doesn't wear any hearing protection.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not playing a Wick.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
I wonder what mouthpiece he is playing? I think the Wick booster may account for a large part of his success. Suprising he doesn't wear any hearing protection.

Looks like a Monette.

Kent
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out my horn and was surprised to find that I can fairly cleanly double tongue on Double G and C.

Now if only I could cleanly double tongue on regular C and G.

Really though, I may incorporate that into my routine... it seems like a fabulous way to work on maintaining focus up there.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:

I disagree completely. Not a Wick. Not the mouthpiece.

derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
I think the Wick booster may account for a large part of his success.

I should've bought one of these for $50 rather than spending $50,000 on a master's degree.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
trumpet56 wrote:

I should've bought one of these for $50 rather than spending $50,000 on a master's degree.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
I wonder what mouthpiece he is playing? I think the Wick booster may account for a large part of his success.

Or maybe it's that special scientifically formulated fuel atomizer additive he pours in his gas tank.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
trumpet56 wrote:

LOLOL

deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:

In Reinhardt speak; you've found your legs and you're keeping them throughout your playing range.

Another added benefit i have discovered is that i am starting out very much in tune again, I had posted a little bit ago, that i was a little high on the pitch when i was starting my initial warm up. I have been doing Adam's like warm ups for the past couple of months with good results based on the stuff i saw on Matt Anklan's website. Leadpipe, then longtones, then ascending scales, etc, they're all on his site, and for some reason was starting high on the pitch recently, it would settle back into pitch after a short while into the long tones, but now i'm right back where i was a while back, much more in tune from the start with it taking much shorter time to dial in the sound. Maybe a lot of this is just paying attention and not just going through the motions. I did notice yesterday some fatigue around my corners because i have been trying to find the sweet spot for the correct pressure, I'm close, but it is a work in progress, i backed off just a bit and was fine for the rest of my routine.
The whole "legs" thing has been interesting, its like i am feeling and visualizing four lines touching the mouthpiece , the upper lip feels like this
\ / and the lower lip feels like this / \ , if that makes any sense, it just feels good though.

regards

tom
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:

Another added benefit i have discovered is that i am starting out very much in tune again, I had posted a little bit ago, that i was a little high on the pitch when i was starting my initial warm up. I have been doing Adam's like warm ups for the past couple of months with good results based on the stuff i saw on Matt Anklan's website. Leadpipe, then longtones, then ascending scales, etc, they're all on his site, and for some reason was starting high on the pitch recently, it would settle back into pitch after a short while into the long tones, but now i'm right back where i was a while back, much more in tune from the start with it taking much shorter time to dial in the sound. Maybe a lot of this is just paying attention and not just going through the motions. I did notice yesterday some fatigue around my corners because i have been trying to find the sweet spot for the correct pressure, I'm close, but it is a work in progress, i backed off just a bit and was fine for the rest of my routine.
The whole "legs" thing has been interesting, its like i am feeling and visualizing four lines touching the mouthpiece , the upper lip feels like this
\ / and the lower lip feels like this / \ , if that makes any sense, it just feels good though.

regards

tom

Yep, I've experienced all of that. Getting and keeping the legs is the essential part, which I think you're finding out in your practice.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: