• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Paul Mayes system

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

future comments i'll put in reinhardt ,

thanks

regards
tom
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted on his youtube video, that a discussion about his "system" is going on here, maybe he'll jump in with some insights about what he is developing.

regards,

tom
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see and hear a fantastic trumpet player. I do not see anything but a strong embouchure focusing in on the aperture as he ascends.

This not meant to be negative. However, there is no silver bullet "system" here, just a great player doing great things.

Interesting point about tonguing and decrescendoing up high. When that happens, all is right in the trumpet nation.

Very inspiring player.

Gordon Stump
ominous curry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everyone! It's paul Mayes,
The secret to playing like me in the upper register is the booster...
Basically, if you don't put a Denis wick booster on, you're just not going anywhere.
Cheers everyone!
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ominous curry wrote:
Basically, if you don't put a Denis wick booster on, you're just not going anywhere.
Cheers everyone!

Um... Ok... That's how it works "Paul Mayes". I think he's just gifted.
I wonder what the real Paul has to say.
ominous curry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, it's all about the booster.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ominous curry wrote:
Cheers everyone!

He isn't using one.
ominous curry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that oxleyk? You have no sense of humour so you're going to correct me? I know he is using a monette in that video but he uses a Denis wick booster in another video. If you read the whole forum, you'll see that there is an on going joke about how pointless boosters are.
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: The Lip Curl Reply with quote

It appears that Wynton does the same kind of pronounced lip curl. And, I have seen in several other up close shots in videos of his playing.

https://www.facebook.com/wyntonmarsalis/videos/10153262077762976/

(My favorite)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L9bdmuy0S0

DK
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ominous curry wrote:
What's that oxleyk? You have no sense of humour so you're going to correct me? I know he is using a monette in that video but he uses a Denis wick booster in another video. If you read the whole forum, you'll see that there is an on going joke about how pointless boosters are.

Same with heavy mouthpieces or is your statement limited to boosters?
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
I see and hear a fantastic trumpet player. I do not see anything but a strong embouchure focusing in on the aperture as he ascends.

This not meant to be negative. However, there is no silver bullet "system" here, just a great player doing great things.

Interesting point about tonguing and decrescendoing up high. When that happens, all is right in the trumpet nation.

Very inspiring player.

Gordon Stump

+1

Come on guys and gals lets keep this discussion sensible. It is obvious equipment (booster) is not the whole secret behind Paul's success but it none the less an important part of the equation (system). If equipment was not important to him why would he demo the Wick mouthpiece and booster on you tube?
abzoomer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Some direct observations Reply with quote

Greetings All- 2023 update on this thread........

1. Paul has evolved his system which he outlines here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmAmXpLOuRU

2. You will see that he has built his approach around a "double aperture" - refer to the Youtube for an explanation.

3. I did a 90 evaluation with him a couple of days ago (Nov 20-23). Excellent and patient teacher (as noted, he is also an outstanding talent). Out of this 90 min I got....

a. An excellent update to my warm-up routine. Nothing earth-shattering, but worth the price of admission.
b. A working understanding of his system and how my teeth' structure can be leveraged with his system.
c. A bit of frustration in so far as the application of the system is neither intuitive or obvious. It feels very much like a major embouchure reset, something I'm not prepared to attempt in the middle of a busy performing season. As well, the jury is still out for me on the system.

The "inner aperture" aims to generate airspeed, and the outer aperture provides the usual dynamics we would associate with a regular and functioning embouchure. In my mind, his inner aperture is performing the function of an effective tongue arch for dialing in the upper range.

I am going to include what I got from my 90 min eval in my practice routine for the next 60 days and I will report my experience.

I would resist forming a strong opinion on this until you have a least taken a look at his most current Youtube postings.

Bach 180-37
Yam 8310Z
Bach C 239
Getzen Custom Flugel
Martin Imperial Cornet
Yam 6335HS
Olds Special
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Some direct observations Reply with quote

abzoomer wrote:
The "inner aperture" aims to generate airspeed, and the outer aperture provides the usual dynamics we would associate with a regular and functioning embouchure. In my mind, his inner aperture is performing the function of an effective tongue arch for dialing in the upper range. ...

---
I watched the video and it seems to me that his description is that the 'inner aperture' is what produces the 'above high C' notes while the outer aperture is just there supporting the rim. And without mention of HOW to get the inner aperture to do that function - maybe that is part of discovering your 'natural abilities'.

I'm interested in hearing about your experience using his techniques (or techniques that you discover yourself).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
abzoomer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Some direct observations Reply with quote

I watched the video, and he describes that the 'inner aperture' produces the 'above high C' notes while the outer aperture supports the rim. And without mention of HOW to get the inner aperture to do that function - maybe that is part of discovering your 'natural abilities.'

I'm interested in hearing about your experience using his techniques (or techniques that you discover yourself).[/quote]

Hi Jay- that is a good observation. In my evaluation with Paul, he focused on how the lower lip is paired with a gap in the upper teeth to create a very high-velocity airstream. As others have mentioned, this inevitably requires some rolling of the lower lip. I am struggling with how to get my lips to coordinate these two apertures. I'm suspending any judgment until I give it some time........

Cheers- Chris

Bach 180-37
Yam 8310Z
Bach C 239
Getzen Custom Flugel
Martin Imperial Cornet
Yam 6335HS
Olds Special
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Some direct observations Reply with quote

abzoomer wrote:
... In my evaluation with Paul, he focused on how the lower lip is paired with a gap in the upper teeth to create a very high-velocity airstream. As others have mentioned, this inevitably requires some rolling of the lower lip. I am struggling with how to get my lips to coordinate these two apertures. I'm suspending any judgment until I give it some time........

-----------------------------------------
My guess is that the 'rolling of the lower lip' accomplishes exposing the particular portion of his lip tissue that has been adjusted (aperture size, tension, etc.) to vibrate at the desired frequency so the tissue is aligned with his airflow path. He also mentions that the way that another player uses their natural ability might be different than his way - as seen in the various ways his students play.

Regarding inner and outer apertures - as the aperture is adjusted, the location of the tissue that is best suited to function at the desired frequency probably moves. I think that part of his technique is for the player to allow that to happen if it gives good results - not to 'fight it' with the belief that the precise aperture location on the lips needs to be held constant.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Cat Anderson advocate playing through the teeth? I don't recall if this was always, only during warming up, or whatever. Does anyone recall this and how does it relate?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
abzoomer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Some direct observations Reply with quote

[quote="JayKosta"]
abzoomer wrote:

Regarding inner and outer apertures - as the aperture is adjusted, the location of the tissue that is best suited to function at the desired frequency probably moves. I think that part of his technique is for the player to allow that to happen if it gives good results - not to 'fight it' with the belief that the precise aperture location on the lips needs to be held constant.

That is a good roll up of what Paul's system. I'd love to be able to report that I am, in fact, making great progress with the double aperture.....but alas, I am struggling with maintaining the inner aperture while maintaining an efficient embouchure (let alone producing a decent tone).

I have about three more weeks of a busy playing schedule. I'll take another run at this over Christmas. I will likely book another hour with Paul to see if I can make some progress.

Bach 180-37
Yam 8310Z
Bach C 239
Getzen Custom Flugel
Martin Imperial Cornet
Yam 6335HS
Olds Special
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Doesn't Cat Anderson advocate playing through the teeth? I don't recall if this was always, only during warming up, or whatever. Does anyone recall this and how does it relate?

Pretty sure it was used for his whisper g warmup.
BTW Kehaulani, I spoke with DeShannon Higa last Friday but forgot to ask him where he went to school. I read somewhere he was born on The Big Island.
Got back to the cold New England weather yesterday.
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: note about the approach Reply with quote

Eventually the technique might become natural, the difficult part must be to use the technique without thinking. The whisper warmup can serve to make the technique subconscious.
Notice some players have more than two apertures, so perhaps only try to use the setting and try to make a nice sound.

The biggest problem is when the players get in the way of their old embouchure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: