• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Darkest cornet with a shallow mouthpiece?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Darkest cornet with a shallow mouthpiece? Reply with quote

So what are people's opinion on the darkest sounding cornet with using a shallow mouthpiece?

I find it very easy to make most well made cornets sound very dark with the right mouthpiece - but much more difficult to find an actual dark sounding horn when played with a shallow mouthpiece. In my talks with various trumpet/brass makers over the years, they have confirmed this to me as well.

So far, the feedback I've gotten from colleagues and some research on the internet is that the Stomvi Master Titanium cornet is an instrument that gets a naturally quite dark sound. I was curious if there were any serious cornet players around the TH who have experience and opinions on this matter. Thanks and all the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed and written in threads here before that, because of the large bell taper of Wild Thing instruments, a player can match the tone of conventional horns with less mouthpiece cup volume. In your particular case, I believe you should consider the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Shepherd's Crook Short Cornet.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current model Lawler cornet can also play quite dark even with a moderately shallow mouthpiece like a Schilke 13C4.

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - these two were actually the other ones I was meaning to look into - thanks for the reminder!
Www.LexSamu.com
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had very good results with the Laskey PIC cornet-shank mouthpiece on a Yamaha Xeno cornet.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks etc - should of mentioned but am writing 'shorthand' from my BlackBerry, I will be mainly playing this cornet with my trumpet top partially screwed into a cornet backbore. Best. Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the WT long american cornet is in that category as flip gives the option of getting it with a curry DC. i am not sure you can go shallower than a DC. the DC is going to be deeper than your trumpet mpc.
the partially unscrewed scheme, you are again going where no man has gone before.

edit. was that a DC or a TC cornet piece.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a like-new Lawler cornet for sale in the marketplace right now that would be perfect for you
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cha!! I'll tell you Chuck, my partially unscrewed trick is GREAT! My situation now is experimenting with the MF protocol by Lynn Nicholson - and I found that my MF GH mouthpiece actually has been facilitating my chops to function differently than other mouthpieces. So this is a fun project for me to see how dark I can go while still using the GH MF top. Of course I could never do this without my trick, as this mouthpiece is such a powerhouse when it's totally screwed into the backbore.

ja - Thanks man - I saw you're beautiful horn in the marketplace. My budget is around $1,500 - I still wouldn't be surprised if I could get a used Lawler or WT horn for that. I have found over the last few years of buying and selling trumpets that I am unique in the respect that I have no care for what the outward appearance of a horn is. (Of course your horn looks beautiful from the pics I saw) I was actually shocked at how many players care about how a horn looks..I can't believe the price I got my current main Bb for, just because the outside looks pretty bad (I guess at least to most people). But, mechanically and playing wise, it's an amazing player. For me, being a pro freelancer, I take my horns everywhere - and some places they do get knocked around a little bit - it's just the nature of what I do and some of the places I work and situations I get into sometimes.. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
i think the WT long american cornet is in that category as flip gives the option of getting it with a curry DC. i am not sure you can go shallower than a DC. the DC is going to be deeper than your trumpet mpc.
the partially unscrewed scheme, you are again going where no man has gone before.

edit. was that a DC or a TC cornet piece.

I would tend to agree with this completely. But I would add where no man has successfully gone before. First, even if you did this with a bed son 928 or even darker, the Prestige, you're going to hear the articulation of a shallow mpc. Trust me, I've tried it.

I have the DC. Takes awhile but the results are worth it. And the VC, which I also have is darker and for me easier.

You're trying to mix one concept with another. Even Ruby Braff used a Wick 5 when he wasn't using a VB 10.5

Playing dark on a cornet is a hard won enterprise, and especially contemporary jazz. Of course there are mic techniques us jazz trpt players have been using for years.

But that dosent apply here.

You're talking to a hard core jazz cat here. I studied with Woody Shaw. You want to play dark in a cornet you have to work for it.

Otherwise just cop out and play the fluglehorn.

I've been working now with the BBC, but I've been working at dark cornet since 2008. It's a process my friend, not a singular event to learn how to play the cornet and get a sound and the chops that those Brit cats have.

Thank you.
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cornet - thanks for the input - I'm a hardcore jazz cat as well - wish I studied w Woody! I was only 12 when he died - Have you shared any experiences on the TH with him? Would love to hear.

In talking with some of the top trumpet/cornet/flugel makers, we have discussed this and it is much harder apparently to make a naturally darker sounding instrument rather than just modifying the mouthpiece. But it can, and has, been done.

This is just an experiment for me - I don't really need the cornet as I usually just play trumpet and flugel - so I got that covered. I don't need the cornet to make a living, but it would be a nice 'third voice' to add and I would wind up using it on gigs I'm sure. I believe that I can get a darker sound with the right cornet and my mouthpiece trick - yes, you still might hear the shallower mouthpiece articulation - but - still. It's not that I couldn't switch to another cornet mouthpiece, but I don't want to - I would just use the flugelhorn. Just by my current experiments I know getting a unique sound that sounds good for jazz is possible with what I'm doing. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing from my post above:

I have an B&h globe stamp Sov. That's a dark horn. When I use anything shallower than a DC you can hear it. Meaning you can hear that I'm trying to get away with something that can't be cotton away from.

A bad comparison...but...

What would Phil Smith sound like doing his NY Phil. gig sound like using a Custom VB 1E?? First he'd never do it. Or even think of it.

I'm afraid you're looking for an easy answers to a very complex problem.

start with the DC and work your way deeper. Just by way of example I was working with a Curry VC, BBC, and a Wick B this week. But I could never have done that even two years ago with any success. I've taken it a step further and practice on a sop everyday as well.

Hard work is the only answer. Nothing good come fast or easy. Easocially with the cornet played with the proper gear.

Thank you.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should re-read what I wrote. You're not telling me anything I don't know. I make a very good living playing the trumpet full-time with a lot of jazz included.

There's a guy on another thread - a few threads actually - currently making an absolute fool of himself because he has to be right at any cost and isn't really reading other people's replies. Those cats responding to him are really patient to even respond. I stopped reading his posts altogether. You seem much more together, but I would recommend reading more carefully what other people are writing to understand where they are coming from. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Hey Cornet - thanks for the input - I'm a hardcore jazz cat as well - wish I studied w Woody! I was only 12 when he died - Have you shared any experiences on the TH with him? Would love to hear.

In talking with some of the top trumpet/cornet/flugel makers, we have discussed this and it is much harder apparently to make a naturally darker sounding instrument rather than just modifying the mouthpiece. But it can, and has, been done.

This is just an experiment for me - I don't really need the cornet as I usually just play trumpet and flugel - so I got that covered. I don't need the cornet to make a living, but it would be a nice 'third voice' to add and I would wind up using it on gigs I'm sure. I believe that I can get a darker sound with the right cornet and my mouthpiece trick - yes, you still might hear the shallower mouthpiece articulation - but - still. It's not that I couldn't switch to another cornet mouthpiece, but I don't want to - I would just use the flugelhorn. Just by my current experiments I know getting a unique sound that sounds good for jazz is possible with what I'm doing. Best, Lex

I'm sorry, I don't agree with you at all. I'm currently working on a CD with my old Buddy Brian Lynch. He wouldn't agree with you either.

And yes, I've shared many of my experiences with Woody Shaw here.

There's an old NYC expression for the flug. I heard it from Vinnie Cutro, another pal, he calls it the futilehorn. Get it?

Something tells me not...

Thank you.
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't agree with you at all. I'm currently working on a CD with my old Buddy Brian Lynch. He wouldn't agree with you either.

And yes, I've shared many of my experiences with Woody Shaw here.

There's an old NYC expression for the flug. I heard it from Vinnie Cutro, another pal, he calls it the futilehorn. Get it?

Something tells me not...

Thank you.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then - Brian Lynch is an awesome player. I have a few of his wonderful albums. Yeah, I do like the flugelhorn and used it exclusively on my own album several years back which you can hear clips of in my link - but I used a very non-traditional flugel mouthpiece and even put a washer in the mouthpiece - so that sounds like two strikes against me with you already - using a flugelhorn and a crazy mouthpiece! It's ok, you can write a bad review of it - I haven't sold a copy in years - to my knowledge.. unless the cat who put the site up for me has been pocketing the profits
Www.LexSamu.com
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
You should re-read what I wrote. You're not telling me anything I don't know. I make a very good living playing the trumpet full-time with a lot of jazz included.

There's a guy on another thread - a few threads actually - currently making an absolute fool of himself because he has to be right at any cost and isn't really reading other people's replies. Those cats responding to him are really patient to even respond. I stopped reading his posts altogether. You seem much more together, but I would recommend reading more carefully what other people are writing to understand where they are coming from. Best, Lex

I read your post as did others. Many said the same as I did although not as detailed. Go back and read what some of the others said, since reading comprehension seems to be your bag.

Reductively, your looking for an easy solution to a difficult issue. I don't know anyone who has done that with any high brass instrument.

I know how to read: I have a Ph.D. And taught in a pretty well known U. For ten or so years, although it was music comp and electronic music. In Tokyo it was comparative literature. I was a tenured professor, who decided to get out while the getting was good. I moved to NYC in 83 at 26 and learned the hard way at places like the Star Cafe. That type of life is over now in NYC. I played in Europe for many years as well as living there.

So please: don't tell me about reading. I'm coming dangerously close to being outed here and I wish to keep my identity to myself.

I played a gig this afternoon. It was a jazz gig. Right now in still warming down. Why? because I did the gig largely on corny with the DC and BBC and the rep. was in the Giant Steps area (including Giant Steps.)

The rest of the gig I used a BC on the trumpet.

Why did I use tough mpcs. Because they are no longer tough as I've been working with them for years.

Tom Harrell, a good friend, when he's well, still uses a VB 1.5 on Trpt and Flug and he's 10 years older than me.

Don't come here looking for easy answers. If you know a lot as you opine than you know that great sound comes from hard work on really difficult gear to play. I never studied with Chet Baker, but I knew him. He always played in gear that was difficult but gave him a great sound. And if you go back and read some of the interviews he gave in the early 1980s, he talks about that very thing.

I really don't care what anyone thinks about my posts. I tell as it is, or as it it for me.

You were 12 when Woody died? You're far too young to understand how trumpet players came up in my early days in NYC. The first month I was here I had to play in front of Junior Cook, Albert Daily, Tommy Turrentine and other old masters. You either got applause or were gonged off the stage. I was lucky, I got the applause, although in retrospect I don't know if I deserved it. This was at the Star Cafe. I was 26. The making your bones in the NYC jazz world.

This type of trial by fire no longer exists. One night, I was playing a gig in Alphabet City and who walks in but Tommy Turrentine. It was a quartet gig. I was 28. He sat and listened the whole set. I was scared, nervous and very affraid I'd be judged as a poor player. At the end of the set I went up to Tommy and asked him if he wanted to play. He said no, and gave me a big kiss on the cheek. Guess I played ok.

These types of experiences don't happen much anymore in NYC.

It's too bad; really, because as a result, people now right on forums about how to make something which takes years of practice happen over night.

I talk about this with people my age and older. I'm 58. Most of them are even harsher than me.

I consider myself very lucky to have had the experiences of trial by fire that no longer exists at the level it did decades ago.

Actually, if you read some of Charles Toliver's writings, he talks about this type of thing I speak of a lot.

You'll excuse the typos: I had to blow my brains out in a club whose air conditioning was not working well and I'm tired. And I still have a bit more earning down to do. Hopefully I'll be able to eat soon.

Thank you.
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then - Brian Lynch is an awesome player. I have a few of his wonderful albums. Yeah, I do like the flugelhorn and used it exclusively on my own album several years back which you can hear clips of in my link - but I used a very non-traditional flugel mouthpiece and even put a washer in the mouthpiece - so that sounds like two strikes against me with you already - using a flugelhorn and a crazy mouthpiece! It's ok, you can write a bad review of it - I haven't sold a copy in years - to my knowledge.. unless the cat who put the site up for me has been pocketing the profits

No, you've got me all wrong!! That washer/flug thing sounds really interesting. Actually, Woody Shaw used a cornet mpc. When he was playing and endorsing Back trots, cornets and flugs. I never knew this. It was Brian Lynch who hipped me to this. but Woody was the kind of cat who would practice for eight hours and then go play a gig. He was an amazing man, thinker and player. He also wrote some of the most chalkenging music both harmonically and linearly.

I wish you the best in your career.

Thank you.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lex

I have only read half of the replies being in a bit of a hurry, so please accept my apologies if anyone has already said what I am writing.

I've experimented with relatively shallow mouthpieces on cornet (Although admittedly my Bach 3C is probably a toilet bowl ion terms of overall cup volume compared to some of the mouthpieces you have previously mentioned on other TH threads, although maybe your MF isn't that shallow, I don't know). I've personally found that brass band orientated short model cornets, play very stuffy with trumpet-style mouthpieces. I believe that they are designed to be played with brass band style-cornet mouthpieces, with very deep cups, open throats, and large backbores.

I have found that the Besson Sovereign plays like it has a sock stuffed in it for me with a Bach 3C. The Yamaha Xeno plays well for me with a 3C, but with a Kanstul two piece set-up, which inserts further in the receiver, and is equivalent to it having less gap.

In my experience, unless you don't mind a lot more resistance than I am happy with, I reckon that you either need a long model cornet that is more likely to play well with a shallower cup (but is probably less likely to have a darker sound. However, although you are not looking for a student horn, I've heard that the long model Yamaha 2310 has a darker sound than the short model Yamaha 2330), or a more free blowing short model cornet, or a short model cornet which isn't so brass band orientated.

It is not achieving a dark sound which I personally find difficult with a more brass band orientated cornet, as I have a naturally dark sound anyhow, but dealing with the high level of resistance, which I always presume is built in to balance with an open brass band-style cornet mouthpiece. As always, your mileage may vary.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread.
First, I am a typical hobby player with a lot of interest in equipment because I like horns in general and cornets a little bit more.
Some remarks:
I like the typo fresh horn (by cornet74), nice name for the instrument
Second: I own several Curry mp's for cornet (and trumpet) and I don't think the DC is able of darkening the sound, in fact I think it's quite a bright sounding mp.
I doubt that the VC is fitted for jazz, it's a little bit a Wicklike mp without the depth of the Wickies, more soft, lighter sound and (may be only for me) quite difficult to play, may be only playable with a very good amplifier system. The BBC is IMO the best one. But this is still no answer to the OP's question.
Though the real cornet players consider it an atrocity I think its completely legitimate for an improvising musician to experiment with shallow pieces on a cornet. The result is what counts and if you find the necessary sound on a cornet with a shallow piece it's the way to go. BTW I play often my cornets with a Warburton 4M cup but mostly because it's my trumpetcup and I don't like to change too often.
But Louise Finch may be right. IN GENERAL SC cornets don't like shallow mp's. I don't know about the Stomvi Master Titanium (what an unbelievable beautiful cornet to look at) and more others but the ones I played wouldn't sing with a shallow piece.
Even my Conn 36A which has no SC but is close to a SC cornet don't like them.
But the Yamaha 2310 (not the modern one model II) or an older 231 reacts very good with a shallow piece (I think Warren Vaché plays something like that), BTW the 2310 has an enormous bell that makes it more difficult to play, especially in the high register. Lots of compliments for mr. Vaché.
The best cornet I know for your purpose is IMO the Conn 80A, it's really the poor man's flumpet and plays EXCELLENT with (shallow) trumpet cups.
Last remark: sometime ago I was throwed up here when I was very critical about flugelhorns, I consider them more difficult tp play than trumpets, they need very serious practice, I doubt some use of them and so on. This only stops when mr. Sandoval finished it by warning everybody that the flugel is NOT a big trumpet.
It was a better formulation of what I tried to say.
So secretly I liked cornet74's "futilehorn" but he took some risk here.
For the record: I own a Conn 36A, a 80A, an Olds Ambassador cornet, a Yamaha 2310 (and a Selmer B700 tuning bell trumpet, a Concept TT, a Yamaha YTR 6345), mp's: Curry 8.5B for trumpet (sold a BC) and 8.5 DC, VC and BBC for cornet.
Nowadays I play on trumpet with a Warburton 4M with 5 or 7 bb, or a Yamaha14B4GP (on my B700)
On cornet a Warburton 4M or Arturo cup on 7 bb or custom (Kanstul made) short Conn shank bb.
My Curry BBC is SCS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: