• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Darkest cornet with a shallow mouthpiece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Www.LexSamu.com

Last edited by ljazztrm on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more 'ballad-y' on the Stomvi Ti..

Link

Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you can't do the youtube thing on the 'publish page' - you have to go to the link and then click the youtube button on the TH then the URL and eliminate the 's' and then the youtube button again. Ok, got it!
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting hearing these two back to back on the youtube. The Stomvi is definitely darker and extremely smooth - in fact the nicest instrument I've ever owned really.. I've been playing it every chance I can get on gigs and sessions when a trumpet isn't needed.

The 2-20 plays amazingly well though and still pretty dark with this fairly shallow mouthpiece top - it's a little deeper version of a Marcinkiewicz Candoli.. I paid I think just under $300 for this cornet and it plays better than ones I've had and played that are A LOT more! So thanks Mike Sailors for this recommend!
Www.LexSamu.com
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option, that was not mentioned is to try a double cup mouthpiece.

Try out a Parduba mouthpiece in your approximate rim size. The first cup is real shallow, but the second cup is deep. It will give a lot more body to the sound.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, the double cup is an option - not the Parduba though as I don't like the sharp rim bite. Now that I've seen how shallow I can go, I am experimenting with some deeper pieces - The Curry TC cup seems to be one I am really liking.. Probably more clips to come as I refine things:-) Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I know this is a 9 year old thread; but I have a question regarding a shallow mouthpiece on cornet. I have a Regent "Long" cornet from around 1940. (Not a shepherd hook type. Looks more like a trumpet). It is in near pristine condition! Currently, I play a Bach 3E on my trumpet. Would it make sense to also get a 3E for cornet, since I am use to playing the 3E? Has anyone tried a Back 3E on cornet or a similar shallow mp? If so, what does it sound like; shrilly, kazoo like, dark, flugal horn type sound, etc? Thanks!!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a very large but shallow mouthpiece for cornet and trumpet. The difference is that for the cornet mouthpiece I enlarged the "second cup" or entrance to the throat - a little like a Parduba. It takes the "sting" out of attacks. Since I use it on an X Large bore cornet, I use a smaller than normal backbore. Obviously, I'm not doing British Band.

You could use the Bach 3D to get a similar effect - the rim is about the same as your 3E - the problem is the 3D has a tighter backbore. If your cornet is a larger bore than your trumpet - it might work.

My suggestion, get a 3E and 3D in on demo from mouthpieceexpress.com and see how they work.

As I have previously suggested, there is also the Marcinkiewicz option. Somewhere between the 308 and perhaps 310

BACH 3E vs. MARCINKIEWICZ 308 1.5C

ps It appears the cornet has about a .445 bore
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it make sense to also get a 3E for cornet, since I am use to playing the 3E?

Why are you playing the cornet? Typically, if a trumpet player plays a cornet, it is because they are trying to achieve a certain sound; one they cannot get on their trumpet or that is difficult to get on their trumpet.

If you are playing a cornet because you want a traditional cornet sound, you're not going to help yourself get there by playing on a 3E. There are lots and lots of options for a 3 rim from Bach, Pickett, Curry...that can help you get a traditional cornet sound.

If, on the other hand, you are simply playing the cornet at home for fun, or playing it in a church or community group with a variety of instruments in the "trumpet" section, then sure...give the 3E a try on your cornet. You might need to experiment with throat and/or backbore a bit to find a configuration that gives you good intonation, etc.

Good luck!
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions from both of you. Perhaps the 3E to see how it sounds, along with a bit deeper 3D. Thanks.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s nice to see the Besson 2-20 get some attention….love mine
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not sure about the mouthpiece, but in case any of the original posters from 2015 are still around, is this cornet dark enough for you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185030081303?itmmeta=01HSGM0173DNNY1KMDKBZR6BX8&hash=item2b14a6fb17:g:smcAAOSwMc9hMWL2&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwKd6K28SzHs%2FztjF7rkyP6XYfsDZPUEGAvCor5rupBSzZe%2By5a9AuhFYSP9Y3ua6WTksPWeaA5qi%2FdRqmaPkRrSKB%2Bmpm2RQCxL5S7vvdmNqgOY%2FyMW1hjU33xXyXfGOOLLFXdbHqXuvotipNNNmL7J1MtdzDIhMBEApqhcvCtdBLVdpgzPDq7lF7azL92HHBYbw5DooJYfMSzOBrER4i%2FM7Ooe5WZ3sobEkegZH%2BGQP3B%2BCBFdQN6aMchWf9F8NlA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_qTgJTMYw
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty!
Tonal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for the darkest sounding Flugel. Can a pocket Flugel or Cornet give the dark warm sound?
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Well, not sure about the mouthpiece, but in case any of the original posters from 2015 are still around, is this cornet dark enough for you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185030081303?itmmeta=01HSGM0173DNNY1KMDKBZR6BX8&hash=item2b14a6fb17:g:smcAAOSwMc9hMWL2&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwKd6K28SzHs%2FztjF7rkyP6XYfsDZPUEGAvCor5rupBSzZe%2By5a9AuhFYSP9Y3ua6WTksPWeaA5qi%2FdRqmaPkRrSKB%2Bmpm2RQCxL5S7vvdmNqgOY%2FyMW1hjU33xXyXfGOOLLFXdbHqXuvotipNNNmL7J1MtdzDIhMBEApqhcvCtdBLVdpgzPDq7lF7azL92HHBYbw5DooJYfMSzOBrER4i%2FM7Ooe5WZ3sobEkegZH%2BGQP3B%2BCBFdQN6aMchWf9F8NlA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_qTgJTMYw

Neat! A $12 Ch!n@-2-U cornet shaped recycle bin augmenter that makes noisy noise if you blow through it!… for suckers who wish they had something like my Reynolds Onyx perhaps 😎
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
Would it make sense to also get a 3E for cornet, since I am use to playing the 3E?

Why are you playing the cornet? Typically, if a trumpet player plays a cornet, it is because they are trying to achieve a certain sound; one they cannot get on their trumpet or that is difficult to get on their trumpet.

If you are playing a cornet because you want a traditional cornet sound, you're not going to help yourself get there by playing on a 3E. There are lots and lots of options for a 3 rim from Bach, Pickett, Curry...that can help you get a traditional cornet sound.

If, on the other hand, you are simply playing the cornet at home for fun, or playing it in a church or community group with a variety of instruments in the "trumpet" section, then sure...give the 3E a try on your cornet. You might need to experiment with throat and/or backbore a bit to find a configuration that gives you good intonation, etc.

Good luck!

+1
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonal wrote:
Looking for the darkest sounding Flugel. Can a pocket Flugel or Cornet give the dark warm sound?

In a word, no. If you're looking for a true flugel sound a cornet will never get there at all. The darkest sounding flugels tend to have the "blunderbuss" bells, which the "pocket flugels" don't have.

A pocket flugel and a Flip Oakes Extreme flugel mouthpiece (they aren't made anymore) would be your best option... Other than a regular-size flugel known for being exceptionally dark and a Flip Oakes Extreme mouthpiece.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Tonal wrote:

In a word, no. If you're looking for a true flugel sound a cornet will never get there at all. The darkest sounding flugels tend to have the "blunderbuss" bells, which the "pocket flugels" don't have.

This is true if you're talking about production pocket flugels. However, I have a compact custom flugel made for me by Robb Stewart which has a full-size Kanstul flugel bell:

Unfortunately, Robb Stewart is semi-retired, and Kanstul is no longer available as a source for parts.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
This is true if you're talking about production pocket flugels. However, I have a compact custom flugel made for me by Robb Stewart which has a full-size Kanstul flugel bell...

That is an amazing and beautiful piece of work! But due to the "unobtaniumness" of it, not a viable solution for the OP.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Halflip wrote:
This is true if you're talking about production pocket flugels. However, I have a compact custom flugel made for me by Robb Stewart which has a full-size Kanstul flugel bell...

That is an amazing and beautiful piece of work! But due to the "unobtaniumness" of it, not a viable solution for the OP.

Conceivably, if Tonal (who I guess is not the OP) could find a Kanstul 1025 flugelhorn to use as raw material, Robb Stewart might take on the project of converting it if he considered it sufficiently interesting (price was around $4K-$4.5K at the time I commissioned mine). Other makes of flugelhorn might also be viable as a starting point.

Sorry -- I should have made that clearer in my first post.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: