• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mute questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbailey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 questions:

1. I've read of people shaving some cork off their mutes. Is this for fit, sound, or other reasons? I am wondering how to decide how much to remove, if any. I don't want to remove too much, of course.

2. I just bought a Jo-Ral "harmon" mute. I've heard that some people intentionally dent/ding them, saying it improves the sound. Is this really true? If so, how many dents/dings? How big?
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to intentionally miss notes to improve my performance too...
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-24 13:55, mbailey wrote:
I have 2 questions:

1. I've read of people shaving some cork off their mutes. Is this for fit, sound, or other reasons? I am wondering how to decide how much to remove, if any. I don't want to remove too much, of course.

2. I just bought a Jo-Ral "harmon" mute. I've heard that some people intentionally dent/ding them, saying it improves the sound. Is this really true? If so, how many dents/dings? How big?

Hi
In answer to 1. You file down the corks on the straight or cup mutes to make them more in tune. Usually they come with too much cork for most horns and therefore play sharp as the mute is too far out. You file them until they play in tune. To do this play a note without the mute, then repeat the process with the mute (taking care not to lip the note). If it's in tune leave it alone. If it's flatter with the mute in then buy a different mute, if it's sharp then file each cork a bit and repeat the process till it's in tune.
As for 2. I can't see how it would improve the sound, as the front portion of the mute gets looser it can develope a buzz that can sound effective, but I'm not sure how you could predict the effect of a dent.
i hope this helps
Brian Jones
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use fine or extra-fine grade of sandpaper!
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a straight mute for my trumpet and another for my cornet. Both have had the corks altered. Different bell sizes and flairs take a different location of mutes for proper intonation. Tuning a mute is one of the few times I use my tuner.

As far as dents go, mine all have them but not on purpose. I don't notice any difference in the sound as far as playing goes. There is a slight difference when I knock them over again.

Best of tuning
Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2003-10-25 20:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2003-10-25 20:36 ]
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that a mute could be adjusted by sanding the corks but that the effect was it would sharpen the sound! When I add cork to the mute (using double-sided tape) it flattens the sound. I had to adjust all of my mutes by adding cork when I went from a Strad to a B1 because of the larger throat diameter on the bell of the B1.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-25 21:32, Tootsall wrote:
I found that a mute could be adjusted by sanding the corks but that the effect was it would sharpen the sound! When I add cork to the mute (using double-sided tape) it flattens the sound. I had to adjust all of my mutes by adding cork when I went from a Strad to a B1 because of the larger throat diameter on the bell of the B1.

Hi
Now that's unusual!! I've always found that cup mutes and straight mutes are flatter in pitch the further in the bell they are, and sharper when further out (like when the corks are pristine). The effect can be mimicked by putting your hand in bell as if you were playing french horn - the further the hand goes in, the lower the pitch. But it just goes to show you can always learn something new.
many thanks
Brian Jones
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it makes sense to me that changing the corks will change the pitch BUT, if that's correct, then why does EVERY symphonic player I observe pull the slide when they put the mute in? Why don't they adjust their corks so that the mute will play in tune? Are they ALL just lazy, or not handy with sandpaper, or is there some reason that they don't adjust their mutes?

Dave
jazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke Ellington used to write specifically for a dented harmon...take that as you will
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that a lot depends on which brand of mute you are using.
My H&B mutes have all needed a bit of sanding down to get the tuning right. The Denis Wick ones I used to sand down and then got told that a better way to get them working is to push the mute in as far as possible (in other words, to where the mute will be used - where it is in tune) and then leave it in place overnight. Come the morning the corks will then have adjusted themselves to your own instrument.
The material used on the Wick mutes is not just cork but a cork and rubber hybrid, this could be the reason for this working better with that brand than with the H&B.
When you get a new instrument it is often a good idea to get a new set of mutes. Over the years mutes do adjust to the specific instrument you are using. When you change, the bell won't be exactly the same size and shape (almost certainly) and to achieve the correct sound you will either need a new mute or a new set of corks (a cheaper alternative!).
I have different cup mutes (I have found the tuning issue to be a major factor with these) for use with cornet and trumpet. The bell shapes are different, the same mutes won't fit in the wrong instrument, let alone play in tune.

As for the denting issue, I have a JoRal bubble mute, and when I allowed a student to borrow it they dropped it. It dented - I was rather annoyed! It hasn't made any noticeable difference to the sound or tuning, but it doesn't look as pretty any more! It s only a small dent though.
To pay that much money for a mute and then intentionally put dents into it seems ludicrous.
I have more straight mutes than I care to think about and I find that there is a slight difference in the tuning between the dented and the undented, the undented wins every time. The sound is much tinnier with the dents as well.
Just my experience.
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetmike, I have a Jo-Ral bubble mute that was dented also. I removed the dent using a drum stick. Put a drum stick in a vice, back facing up. Slip the mute over the stick and work the dent out by applying pressure to the dented area. Use a rolling motion. I'm assuming that the dent is located on the round part of the mute. It worked for me. The fatter the stick the better.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sand mute corks to make the mute fit properly in my horn. I always pull the tuning slide out when playing with a mute. As far as dents go, play the mute long enough and you will acquire dents without intentionally putting them there. I have a Jo-Ral bubble harmon with dents and it sounds great! Just my 2cents. Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: