• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Torelli Concerto in D Major

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All-
I just ordered this from Robert King and it was not the Torelli Concerto in D Major that I was thinking it was going to be. However it does look like a fun piece to play so I am going to keep it. My question is this (forgive me if it is a dumb question)... it came with two trumpet parts
1.) Tromba in Do
2.) Tromba in Re

I am assuming this means Bb & C trumpet. It looks like it is in piccolo range. Has anyone ever played this piece? I am assuming it was written for piccolo, but I might be wrong?
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Tromba in Do means trumpet in C
Tromba in Re means trumpet in D

Do (Ut)---Re----Mi----Fa---So---La----Si
C---------D------E-----F----G----A ----B

You can also see by the number of #s and bs, what trumpet part it is based on the fact that you know which key the whole piece is in.
This piece is in D Major. I would assume that in the first mvnt of the tromba in Re part there are no #s or bs, which would prove that it is a D trumpet part.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~dmgrasmick/mu330/Trumpetlecture.html
Try this link. There is a table with all the different trumpet transpositions names.

For a D trumpet part I would most likely use A piccolo. The best way to find out what to play is, by listening to recordings.

Peter

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetgeek234 on 2003-10-26 04:18 ]
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was originally written for the Baroque natural trumpet, in D Major. Today, it is most often played on the A piccolo trumpet.

Great piece, good luck!

Louie
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the Torelli concerto. I was just informed a few weeks ago (after having the same question as to the version) that Torelli has written tons and tons of Trumpet Concertos in D Major. Many have been published some have not. I remember getting one and then realizing that the Maurice Andre recording had multiple movements while the music in my hands did not. It was shocking and confusing at first. But then it was cleared up.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing you have to remember is that Torelli was from Bologna, Italy. During the Baroque period, it was extremely fashionable to write works for the trumpet....in fact, it's thanks to this Bologna school that many of the Baroque trumpet repertoire even exists. This is due probably to the San Petronio Cathedral...they needed instruments that could project. Torelli was probably the forerunner of this school. Others were Franceschini, Manfredini, and I think Cazzati. There is a wealth of trumpet literature from Bologna during the Baroque era.

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: