• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Allergy to mouthpiece material???

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather,

Yes and no. So after the first bout it got better. I did switch to a silver plate mouthpiece. Slowly worked back to the level I was playing before. Several months later- same thing happened. Slowly creeped back and was going well for another 6 months or so then about a month ago started happening again. Not sure if it is me pushing it to hard, failing bad and then working back up to where I was. I have been through this 3 times now in the past 2 years. I do believe it is some form of inflammatory reaction maybe triggered by overuse- don't know. I ordered an acrylic mouthpiece top just last week to see if it is a metal allergy that is triggered by overuse.

It has been really frustrating because I keep reaching new highs with my chops only to have big setbacks. I am very careful to warm up slowly and rest as much as I play when practicing. I usually put the horn down for the day when I start feeling the chops give out. I have been focusing on best practices- breath support, not too much pressure, balancing pressure between top and bottom lips. I warm up with Maggio or 19-30s and let my air drive the embouchure formation so not forcing my lips into a particular position.

Never had this issue back in the day but I was young then!

-Marc
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adagio. I have a giddings on the way. Excited to try. I am also enjoying Tent’s Acrylic pieces. I made mistake of going back to play a favourite silver plate piece and got worse again. Guess i’ll Stick with Acrylic/ stainless for now.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey StartingUpAgain - whose Acrylic piece are you trying? I have an ACB 3ES that I am loving. Also ordered the 3CS and 3DS. The 3CS was my go to silver plate piece.

I am planning to just play Acrylic for a while. The sound is nice. Not quite like metal but still good core sound.

Heather.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello kumara
it was to point that things go in both ways : an allergy to metal (and other molecules, or food, etc) can be caused by dysbiosis (and its gaz production, aggression on guts, making them hyperpermeable), and a heavy metal intoxication can induce a candidosis which presence has for for goal to fight the intoxication.

As for tooth paste, many years ago i found one that doesn't give me some uncomfy feelings on toungue and lips : meswak (organic, fresh smell, just a little bit on the brush)
best
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JVL - just did some research on that toothpaste and just ordered some. 😀
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumara999 wrote:
Hey StartingUpAgain - whose Acrylic piece are you trying? I have an ACB 3ES that I am loving. Also ordered the 3CS and 3DS. The 3CS was my go to silver plate piece.

I am planning to just play Acrylic for a while. The sound is nice. Not quite like metal but still good core sound.

Heather.

Hi Heather,

I have been playing Wedge mouthpieces for ~ 18 months. They make acrylic and Delrin tops. So I got the exact same top I was playing only in Acrylic. Started playing it on Friday and so far like it a lot. Will see if it helps long term.

Cheers,
Marc
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumara999 wrote:
Hi JVL - not to appear stupid - but what to you mean by this comment "a candidosis can appear in presence of heavy metal intoxication".

This is what a candidosis (also spelled candidiasis) looks like:

Webster's Dictionary wrote:
Definition of intoxication
2: an abnormal state that is essentially a poisoning

Brass contains Zinc and Lead - both are heavy metals. Mouthpieces are typically plated with silver or gold - both are heavy metals.

I believe he was saying that a rash that can develop (at the contact points) when one is sensitive to the metals in their mouthpiece.

Gary.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary - that is NOT a pretty looking picture.

It's a bit scary when you google this stuff with some of the negative impacts some people have.

Makes you think twice about EVER using a worn mouthpiece.

Heather
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Allergy Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Kumara999 wrote:
Someone also told me to watch out for a toothpaste change ...

-------
A toothpaste claiming "Whitening" gave me some trouble.

Jay

I ran into this issue with one particular toothpaste product...Colgate Total. My chops would swell almost instantly as soon as I started playing. I switched back to the brands I had been using, Crest and Aqua Fresh, and that problem cleared up. I checked ingredients, and couldn't find anything obvious....
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over to gold plated mouthpiece rims on all my mouthpieces a few years ago. I had evidently gotten so used to subtle but persistent burning and swelling from what I can only assume was a silver allergy over the course of years, but happened to play a acrylic mouthpiece for a week, and quickly noticed I didn't have the progressively intensifying discomfort over the course of the playing day that I was used to. I didn't love the sound of the acrylic, so I had my other mouthpieces plated, and never looked back. I notice it almost immediately now if I happen to play a silver mouthpiece. It's funny - I knew it felt bad, but assumed for years I must have been doing something wrong.

(Of course, I could still have been doing something wrong, but evidently that wasn't the cause of the problem. )
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Giddings mouthpieces have trace levels of nickel in them? I have read that surgical grade stainless can.

My experimentation with materials is that I can not use raw brass, silver plate or gold plate. Acrylic and warbonite no issues at all but I seem to be having a very mild reaction to the stainless. Nothing like with the other metals but I had thought stainless was allergy free.

I really like the feel and sound of the giddings so hoping that this is not the case.

I was really hoping to have a metal option. I have also sent a top off to get Rhodium plated to see if that is an option. That is supposed to be nickel free.

Before anyone suggests a doctor - I am on a waiting list for allergy testing but am told will easily be 9 months.

Medical in Canada is free but waits on certain things can be a bit longer.

Heather.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumara999 wrote:
Before anyone suggests a doctor - I am on a waiting list for allergy testing but am told will easily be 9 months. ...

-------------------------------------------------------------
You likely already know this, but 'metal sensitivity' might not be something that a typical 'allergist doctor' tests for. You might also investigate options that involve 'occupational medicine' where sensitivity to workplace exposure is a concern.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: