• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bobby Shew & Bill Prince Concert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short synopsis of last night...

I went to the Bobby Shew/Bill Prince/ Linda Cole concert in my area last night. For 5 bucks, I think I got my money's worth. I'm fairly sure I was the youngest person in the audience. The oldest had to be somewhere in their 80's. Bobby sounded great, as I'd expected. He even signed my CD .
Bill Prince was just freakin' insane. The guy played trumpet, alto, tenor, clarinet, and flute in the course of the night. All were done damn well too. That guy's really something. Some highlights of the evening I personally found enjoyable were Bobby's mini-roast of Bill, and an impromptu version of Sweet Georgia Brown with Bill on trumpet.
Great show.
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of being in the Florida Atlantic University jazz band when Bill was the director.

He was amazing. He could play everthing - and all really well. We would usually perform one tune that would feature him as a soloist - on about five different instruments I couldn't believe what he could do with a plunger and trumpet - it would just plain talk!

He even transcribed many of our charts by ear.
WUG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blasticore,
That was a fantastic performance and the Altamonte Jazz Ensemble was great too. I agree with you about the average age in the audience. It would have been a great opportunity for many young players to hear these artists so rich in experience. That impromtu thing with just Bill and Bobby goin' at it was a rare treat. Hopefully you brought some buddies. Some guys from our praise and worship band came out.

Also, there are a couple of other neat things in our area you should not miss. The Carmine Caruso trumpet competion at UCF in a couple of weeks:

http://www.cas.ucf.edu/music/trumpet/carmine/index.php?URL=schedule&&language=

The U.S Army Blues Ensemble will be playing too. Best of all, this is even a better bargain than the $5 dollars for the Shew/Prince performance...it's free! Bring your trumpet section.

Also, Michael Andrew is doing a Frank Sinatra tribute concert next week at the Plaza Theater. They put together a band and brought in musicians from all over just for this event. Bill Carmichael is heading up the trumpet section!

http://www.michaelandrew.com/SinatraTributeShow.htm

This is a great three weeks of venues for us trumpet players in the Orlando area!

Take Care,
W.U.G.

[ This Message was edited by: WUG on 2003-10-28 07:54 ]
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found found what is probably the most popular Buddy Rich CD, "Mercy, Mercy", at a local store - it features Bill Prince on solo trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: