• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute-ations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone alter their mutes for a different sound? I once poked holes in a harmon metal straight mute I didn't like and it made a reasonable sounding bucket mute, kind of like a jo-ral bucket concept but smaller.

I also sometimes cut a piece of cardboard about 2 inches long and roll it into a tube and place it into the hole in my harmon. It focuses the sound just a bit more and eliminates the stuffiness. I noticed Dizzy Gillespie sometimes had what looked like a piece of plastic in the harmon hole, maybe for the same reason? or is there a brand that comes with that?

Another trick is to stuff the harmon with cotton balls and it makes a very quiet practice mute.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Dizzy's mute mutation: I found that a harmon with the stem in (but almost pulled out) has fine intonation in ALL registers and more of the no-stem sound than when the stem is all the way in. The stem sticks out a few inches and it makes it hard to use a microphone, but it also makes a great practice mute. Less resistance too. Maybe Dizzy was taking advantage of this phenomena with that thing in his harmon so he could play low notes in tune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: