• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dick Cathcart, Red Nichols, Welk Trpt. Section, etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoop222

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Dick Cathcart, Red Nichols, Welk Trpt. Section, etc Reply with quote

I just signed up for Trumpetherald after reading posts for many years. I've been playing in the Midwest for the past 53 years and am a bandleader and arranger. I own almost every recording by Red Nichols & Dick Cathcart and hopefully can answer many questions you might have about them, especially Red. I also know a lot about the Welk band and their trumpet players, especially the ones from the early TV days. I love all the old style music - but I also love more current guys like Nicholas Peyton and Terrance Blanchard. And Don Fagerquist is also a "hero" of mine. And I was recently given a CD with New York trumpeter Dick Perry talking about his life & playing some excerpts from Shows - what a player - he MADE a LOT of MUSIC with his horn. I currently play on a Bach 3C mouthpiece and sometimes a Giardinelli 6 S. I also recently found a Bach 3D mouthpiece that was the same size supposedly played by Bernie Glow & the New York guys, but it's not easy for me to play. Just yesterday, a friend who played a little bit with the Chicago Symphony years ago gave me a Bach 7 (plain 7 - no letter) (Mt. Vernon) to try that was supposedly owned by Adolph Herseth at one time. That one plays well! I'd like to hear comments or questions about this post from those of you who like the "old time guys."
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real comments other than to say "welcome"!
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

Late 1942 in NYC, Dick Cathcart was an outstanding lead trumpet with a marvelous 30 piece Air Force orchestra under the direction of Harry Bluestone that was being groomed for overseas duty. Years later he became well known for his work with Jack Webb on the "Pete Kelly's Blues" series on radio, records, the movies, and TV.

1929; Kansas City at the El Torreon Ballroom, Red Nichols was second trumpet in the Cass-Hagen Orchestra, a high powered outfit from New York. The members included Itch Schulkin on lead trumpet, Fred Van Epp Jr., on third, and Al Philburn -- featured by Bert Lown on his hit theme song, "Bye Bye Blues" -- on trombone. The saxes were Larry Tice on lead alto. Pete Pumiglio on Sax and Clarinet (later with the Raymond Scott Quintet) on third, and a star on tenor sax named Pee Wee Russell, Bobby Van Epps played piano, and a drummer named Gary.

Red was known for such classics as "Dinah", Ida", and a Archie Bleyer arrangement of "Business In F."

Last edited by solo soprano on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Scoop222

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks "Solo Soprano" for your Info Reply with quote

Thanks for the Cathcart & Nichols info. In 1942 Dick Cathcart was only 18 years old. I didn't know he was lead trumpet in the Air Force Orchestra at such as young age. You mentioned it was led by Harry Bluestone - Harry wound up playing violin on all the Bing Crosby radio shows with Red Nichols in the late 40's and early 50's. And Harry played section violin on a 1955 Red Nichols Capitol LP with a large orchestra. When Red was playing with John Scott Trotter for Bing Crosby on the radio shows - the lead trumpet was Bobby Guy who was married to "Baby" Rose Marie. Bobby always sounded great - he was very under-rated. Thanks for the 1929 Kansas City Nichols info. You mentioned Red's recording of Dinah - that was April 18, 1929 - was Red in Kansas City later in the year?? Red recorded Indiana on the same session as Dinah. It was arranged by Glenn Miller. I got to hold in my hand the actual 1929 music arrangement about 20 years ago - Glenn's handwriting looks like an Old English script - it was very neat. And you also mentioned pianist Bobby Van Epps from 1929. 29 years later - he wrote some charts for Red that (in my mind) are pure genius - the voicings are really interesting & the voice leadings break all the "rules" - but the results are some wonderful music that no other arranger could duplicate - he was "one of a kind".
Last thing - I saw Bill Knevitt on your posting and on your website - I took a bunch of lessons with him 15 years ago & he really helped me. I got great warm-up ideas from him - and using his material - I can play for only 15 or 20 minutes and get such a good workout - it's as good for my "chops" as playing an hour.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoop222

I was fortunate to have studied with Bill Knevitt for a few years. The website is owned by Bob Latorre who bought the business from Bill at his retirement. Bob never meet Bill in person but was one of many of Bill's correspondent students and is doing a fine job making Bill's life's work available to future trumpeters. When Bill sold the business he did not supply Bob with any of his valuable audio recordings? So, being one of Bill's disciples I was very happy to play my small part and gifted all the missing audio files (recorded originally on cassette tapes) and some written materials available on the website after Bills passing. Other than that I have no connection to the business.

I see you have a great love of big bands and the Golden Age of Jazz. Well, I've been searching for a worthy candidate to gift one of my last two autographed copies of Warren Vache Sr's "This Horn For Hire", -- congratulations Steve!! It's the bio. of another of my early teachers Pee Wee Erwin., (I have all George's recordings, of course) It's Mr. Erwins' personnel story thru the golden age of American entertainment. I know you're going to love reading it. I'll send it as soon as I verify your address.

Steve, please "PM" your mailing address

Best Wishes for Your continued success!!
Larry
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dick Cathcart, Red Nichols, Welk Trpt. Section, etc Reply with quote

Scoop222 wrote:
I just signed up for Trumpetherald after reading posts for many years. I've been playing in the Midwest for the past 53 years and am a bandleader and arranger. I own almost every recording by Red Nichols & Dick Cathcart and hopefully can answer many questions you might have about them, especially Red. I also know a lot about the Welk band and their trumpet players, especially the ones from the early TV days. I love all the old style music - but I also love more current guys like Nicholas Peyton and Terrance Blanchard. And Don Fagerquist is also a "hero" of mine. And I was recently given a CD with New York trumpeter Dick Perry talking about his life & playing some excerpts from Shows - what a player - he MADE a LOT of MUSIC with his horn. I currently play on a Bach 3C mouthpiece and sometimes a Giardinelli 6 S. I also recently found a Bach 3D mouthpiece that was the same size supposedly played by Bernie Glow & the New York guys, but it's not easy for me to play. Just yesterday, a friend who played a little bit with the Chicago Symphony years ago gave me a Bach 7 (plain 7 - no letter) (Mt. Vernon) to try that was supposedly owned by Adolph Herseth at one time. That one plays well! I'd like to hear comments or questions about this post from those of you who like the "old time guys."

Really nice to find someone fancying the golden era. I myself have been playing since 1959, cornet in a Brassband (still do, same band) but from 1968 continuing in a swingband; we started out 2 trumpets 3 saxes, 1 trombone, banjo, sousaphone, drums but soon enough 4 saxes, one doubling tenor/barytone; by 1971 bass, piano, guitar and 2 trombones. Scores (originals) like Stampede (Henderson) Opus 1, Dinah, Scattinīat the Kitkat, A-train; Immigration Blues; Blue Lou; Rug Cutterīs swing;Liza; Every Tub;Back Beat Boogie; 720 in the Books (Savitt) etc etc. I found a shop in London(Bronīs Orchestral Service) (this was written-letter time..)and "vacuumcleaned" their stock. Think we had 100 scores finally. Not a single one of them printed after 1945 (probably reprinted of course, but original scores) Had a recurrent gig every monday night for 5 years. Place crowded, finally the audience shouted numbers of the tunes requesting.... And I used a Bach 1 1/4 for lead..(Nowadays I understand the advantages of leadmpc:s). Amongst favorities of mine Bunny B, Ziggy E, Louis, Harry J.I still love that music, the harmonics, reflecting either outright mania or melancholia. And, there was a melody you could actually sing (or a riff).
Funny with that Bill Knevitt - found excerpts from his book on the net, quickly incorporating them in my daily routine - very helpful indeed - and - I found them reading posts here on this very forum!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject: Preferred Trumpets Reply with quote

Please tell me the preferred trumpets of Dick Cathcart and Pee Wee Erwin. Thanks
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall the Red Nichols 78 rpm records my dad had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: