• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Spitballs question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
golf4funjn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Spitballs question Reply with quote

I recently got a jar of Spitballs and have been using them on my trumpet, cornet and flugelhorn after I play. They work very well with the trumpet and cornet however the spitball gets stuck in the first valve of my flugel every time. Has anyone else experienced this and if so are there any ways to correct the problem? Thanks!
Edwards X-19 Bb Flugelhorn
trumpflugel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha 635ST flugelhorn and the spitball works fine. I wondering if you might need your valves aligned.
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve alignment, solder blob, or other anomaly. My TR200 got stuck at third valve. My other horns no problem. Fun to shoot them at the flute section after band ..... I know need to grow up but my wife is over there and it is funny to hear her scream...... OK I really need to grow up but I play trumpet!
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
golf4funjn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Spitballs question Reply with quote

Hmmm my flugel is a brand new Solista from gRawlin and it plays well. I would hope it would not need valve alignment. I'll get his take on it. Thanks for the replies!
golf4funjn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Spitballs question Reply with quote

Well tried the spitballs again and it got past the first valve but is stuck somewhere else in my flugel. Took it all apart and can't find it or get it out. Any suggestions from anyone how to get a stuck spitball out?
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spitballs question Reply with quote

golf4funjn wrote:
Well tried the spitballs again and it got past the first valve but is stuck somewhere else in my flugel. Took it all apart and can't find it or get it out. Any suggestions from anyone how to get a stuck spitball out?

SNAKE!
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
golf4funjn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Spitballs question Reply with quote

Got it out..thanks! I read where Spitballs shouldn't be used in flugels. Does anyone else share that opinion? They blow right through my trumpet and cornet.
trumpflugel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ewetho" I love your post of shooting spitballs towards the flute section. Why is it the trumpet section ( which is the instrument I play) always looks for trouble. And yes we are proud of that image from the trumpet section.

"golf4fun" I was thinking, flugelhorn pipes are slightly larger than a trumpet. With that thought, the spitball may flip around and get stuck.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use spitballs in my trumpet and cornet but not the flugel. I believe that the valve cluster with its ninety degree bends and narrower bore size tends to make a spitball "hang up".
Merry Christmas or Best of the Season to you if that somehow offends.
Brian
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to get the stuck spitball out, but once you do, I'd change to Blow Dry Brass. Never heard of one of these getting stuck in a horn, and I believe they do a more thorough job.

http://blowdrybrass.com
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spitballs question Reply with quote

golf4funjn wrote:
Got it out..thanks! I read where Spitballs shouldn't be used in flugels. Does anyone else share that opinion? They blow right through my trumpet and cornet.

Same problem here. Spitballs get stuck just about every time on my Flugelhorn (a Getzen 4-valve Eterna).

But they work well on my trumpet. I swab my lead pipe regularly, and use Spitballs weekly on my trumpet. They work great ... just not on my flugelhorn.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpflugel wrote:
"ewetho" I love your post of shooting spitballs towards the flute section. Why is it the trumpet section ( which is the instrument I play) always looks for trouble. And yes we are proud of that image from the trumpet section.

"golf4fun" I was thinking, flugelhorn pipes are slightly larger than a trumpet. With that thought, the spitball may flip around and get stuck.

Because we were trained to be. Right from the beginning we were heck my second band director a Mr. Christianson took pictures of each section. Flutes in the flower bed the low brass on chilling on the bleachers the trumpet section sitting on the endnof the urinals! Yup even the girl. (Luckily he did ask the janitorial service to clean and lock the bathroom before hand but...). Since then I knew we were allowed and EXPECTED to make trouble. Yup I be trained that way.

Oh yeah, he played trumpet. I delivered it to our repair guy to get fixed from damage in moving down from Germany. He had a lacquerd MLV Strad.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
golf4funjn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Spitball question Reply with quote

Appreciate all the replies, very helpful!!
jazzpik
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to cut them in half and use them same way? Worked pretty good in Trumpet but kept getting stuck in my Cornet. Started cutting them in half and worked great after that.
jazzpik
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
I'm not sure how to get the stuck spitball out, but once you do, I'd change to Blow Dry Brass. Never heard of one of these getting stuck in a horn, and I believe they do a more thorough job.

http://blowdrybrass.com

Frankly those things look huge compared to my spitballs. Do they really work better?? Looks to me they would never make it through my trumpet much less my cornet.
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzpik wrote:

Frankly those things look huge compared to my spitballs. Do they really work better?? Looks to me they would never make it through my trumpet much less my cornet.

I use blow dry brass and spitballs in my trumpets and flugels and they both work fine. I find spitballs work better to quickly clean dirtier instruments and I blow them through faster to dislodge dirt particles. Blow dry brass works better for daily maintenance of a clean horn to keep the horn dry and clean. I blow them through slower so the larger bits can soak up moisture in the horn.
jazzpik
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverhorn wrote:
jazzpik wrote:

I use blow dry brass and spitballs in my trumpets and flugels and they both work fine. I find spitballs work better to quickly clean dirtier instruments and I blow them through faster to dislodge dirt particles. Blow dry brass works better for daily maintenance of a clean horn to keep the horn dry and clean. I blow them through slower so the larger bits can soak up moisture in the horn.

Honest to goodness I can't see how you can get one of those huge sponges through a Flugelhorn much less the smaller spitball.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, kids- how hard is it to clean out a trumpet, flugel, cornet, or other brass instrument??? SHEESH!!! Spitballs? Perhaps Spaceballs, then the Schwarz can be with you...
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

funny thread. like...
why?
jazzpik
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Seriously, kids- how hard is it to clean out a trumpet, flugel, cornet, or other brass instrument??? SHEESH!!! Spitballs? Perhaps Spaceballs, then the Schwarz can be with you...

Talking about dragging out long ago and far away humor. 👎👹
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: