• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First Musical (Into the Woods)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfreakinross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: First Musical (Into the Woods) Reply with quote

I just received the opportunity to play lead in my first musical (I have subbed for them before on an emergency basis). The show is "Into the Woods", which I have no information on this show besides the fact it was recently made into a Disney film haha.

Does anyone one have any notes on the show (mutes, range trouble spots. ect ect..) I believe we have the MTI rental if my memory serves me right. Thanks in advance for any information.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, not a huge range needed (C's and D's). I do remember a fanfare that repeats several times that is a challenge. And like any show you'll have to play the same thing in several, not trumpet friendly, keys.
I only recall using a straight mute - but it was a long time ago

And I have a faint memory of using a picc at one point - called for in the book.

It's a great show, enjoy!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the show twice. I do not recall picc being called for but most recently I found using it for a few of the fanfares very helpful. You'll definitely need straight and a piccolo straight (if you decide to go that route). I also recall cup and Harmon, but I could be mistaken. Definitely no rare mutes. No big blows, the trumpet is used rather sparingly to good effect. The book I have played from both times has been a C trumpet book. There is also a Bb book out there, but I'd ask to be sure in case you don't play C trumpet/sight transpose well.
jfreakinross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
And I have a faint memory of using a picc at one point - called for in the book.

Do you know if the picc is written for a specific sound or just because is makes the repetition of certain passages easier?

I really hope to enjoy the show. The conductor is new to the position and this is his first one (has played in many before). Hopefully all goes well for him
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, change your entire mind-set. You are not the "Lead Trumpet" on this show - you are the "1st Trumpet." If you plan on playing the book like a Lead player would, you shouldn't take the job.

In fact - you are the only trumpet in the show.

I've done a bunch of ItW's, and will probably be doing another this summer. It's a fun show, some really nice melody/harmony stuff. Excellent Sondheim.

AFAIK, there are 3 versions out there to be played. I played only two of those. I have heard of guys using picc, but I've never seen a version where anything was written specific for picc. As always, use the equipment that helps guarantee you will play the best show you can on every performance, even if you don't get any extra $ for the double.

With the exception of all the fanfares in the book, trumpet isn't really needed. Yeah...I hate saying that, but when I get asked what instrumentation for a small pit, I have to be honest & tell them more reeds & strings instead of trumpet.

Here are my notes about the show:

Into the Woods - Stephen Sondheim
There are at least 3 different music books / versions for the show. The original 1987 B’way (MTI rental / “Legal”), the 1990 London “West End” version, & one other (“Illegal).

One way to tell the difference is with font & page set-up.
The Illegal has more instrument cues written in it - clar, flute, Fr. Horn, bassoon.
The illegal is Finale. Except for some “segue”s at the bottom of tunes that are actually “attacca”s, it’s one of the best laid-out books for pages turns, etc.

ENORMOUS NOTE - trying to combine any of the versions - WILL NOT WORK. Everyone "literally" needs to be on the same page.

1 part
C trumpet. There is also a Bb transposed book.
St., cup, Harmon (no stem), “Felt” (tight) cup

All range notes are for C trpt: C#, optional Eb

#35 “The Potion” ms 40-42 opt 8va (Eb) - completely unnecessary

Fairly easy blow. Not until the 2nd page of Bows/Exit are there any challenges, that one in particular being on where to breathe.

About 2 hr 45 min w/ 15 min halftime.

Easy way to play the faster fanfares is to alternate finger the 16th triplets in the 8th / 16th triplet / 8th rhythms.

Fanfares. A mix of 3/4 & 12/8 meter signatures.

A few years ago, Wilmer Wise, who played the original B'way production, subbed for me on a community theatre run. According to him, "I’ve played the London book 3 times, which had a LOT more fanfares in Act II than did the B’way book."

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
jfreakinross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
First, change your entire mind-set. You are not the "Lead Trumpet" on this show - you are the "1st Trumpet." If you plan on playing the book like a Lead player would, you shouldn't take the job.

Sorry for using "lead" but that is how it was presented to me by the MD.

Thank you for the very detailed notes on the show. Its always great to get incite from people who have "been there done that".
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I conducted Into the Woods once and played trumpet once. I conducted it at a beautiful outdoor summer theater in Springfield, Il. This was early 90"s I believe. We were one of the first amateur productions that was done. I did my usual score prep and went to the first orchestra rehearsal. At that point we discovered that there was so many differences in the score and the parts that it became a nightmare. We got it all worked out, but it took hours of work. I have conducted a lot of shows, but never had before or since a problem like that. There was one trumpet part in C.

When I played trumpet on the show, we had only flute and trumpet for winds. To fill it out I played the clarinet parts (the easier ones, as I am not a great clarinet player) when I wasn't playing trumpet. It did help fill it out.

It is a great show and has always been one of my favorites. Have fun.

Dick G.
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a fun show and nicely written music. From what I remember, the trumpet player on the recent broadway production, Dominic Derasse, played piccolo trumpet on those fanfares. The first one clearly sounds like it to me.
dalmavs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this once, and the person hiring did not pay attention when they were contracting. They saw two parts and figured they needed both a Bb and C trumpet player!
Jmenc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So…. Now I’m being asked to sub for this. Anyone have any updates since the last post?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmenc wrote:
So…. Now I’m being asked to sub for this. Anyone have any updates since the last post?

There is a new version out - the 2022 version.

A friend is currently playing it. She says there are changes...such as the first cue is now in 4/4 and not 12/8 like in the previous versions.

And there are some mistakes. She's not yet told me details.

If you're subbing, go in and audit the show. Sit next to the regular trumpet, see how he's marked the book, etc.

If you can't get an exact copy of the show book, the first day you go in to sub get there as early as you can & look at every page. Don't be reluctant to ask the MD questions on cues & such. A truly qualified MD will take the time to work with you to ensure a solid performance.

And if the MD doesn't want to help....they get what they get.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly encourage anyone playing this to find the video of the original cast performance. It's not hard to find. It's brilliant and will give you an idea of how unique this show is and how you fit onto it. Watching the movie version will only confuse you so don't rely on that.

You will absolutely want to coordinate how the conductor will be cueing the fanfares or I guarantee you'll trip and you don't want that because it's completely exposed. And you can't take liberties with the fanfare tempos because other players need to follow you.

The small pit orchestra is more of a chamber group than many other shows. You'll want to adjust your presence to that of the small group.

BTW I love this show. One of my favorites. Have fun.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I strongly encourage anyone playing this to find the video of the original cast performance. It's not hard to find.

This is the 1989 PBS broadcast with almost all of the original cast.

My guess is it's Wilmer Wise, who played the original B'way production, on this video.

https://youtu.be/kqCsQCsinK4

tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch this video all the way through, the credits list the musicians. While Wilmer Wise did play the original run, and is featured on the OBCR, Neil Balm is the trumpeter here. He sounds great!

How many for C trumpet on this one? When I first played the book back in 06 that was the only option. Have tried Bb once or twice but always returned to C.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubbs831 wrote:

How many for C trumpet on this one? When I first played the book back in 06 that was the only option. Have tried Bb once or twice but always returned to C.

C trumpet for me with picc for a few of the fanfares.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubbs831 wrote:
Neil Balm is the trumpeter here. He sounds great!

If you're gonna sub out...

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
My guess is it's Wilmer Wise, who played the original B'way production, on this video.

https://youtu.be/kqCsQCsinK4

This is the one I know and love.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: