• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NEW Bach Commercial Trumpet Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclewawa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i]Just rec'd my 5MV & 5S.
I am currently playing a Curry 5 * that has a waaaay too sharp inner edge.
Therefore, the first thing I noticed about the new Back is the rim. It is amazing!
2nd thing, the 5 feels too wide. Gonna try a 7 instead.
3rd thing, these are very shallow mouthpieces. The MV gave me more room, whereas the S was just too shallow. Wish that they made a one size deeper piece but keeping all of the other features intact. I believe that I could play that size yet still maintain a lead player's sound.
Will follow-up later with my thoughts on the 7MV.
Good luck to all..............

* BECAUSE I'M THE TRUMPET PLAYER - THAT'S WHY. [/b]
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my 3MV and my first impression is this mouthpiece feels huge on my chops! Comparing rims with my Corp. 3C, the MV rim is narrower and cup diameter looks and feels much larger on my face. The shank is also longer than my other Bach pieces.

It produces a big bright sound but not "harsh" like I get with traditional shallow cup style pieces. It blows even and pretty open with little resistance for me anyway.

Unfortunately I can't keep my chops out of this piece. I get cutoff around high C. Not that I'm a screamer but I have a pretty solid F. So as of today, it's not for me, will most likely be for sale soon. Someone else might like to have it.

Lastly, I was disappointed in the finish. Plating has lots of swirls in it, not the shiny polished plating you would expect. In fact I thought there were insert marks at first on the shank.
jwelders

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with the previous post.

For comparison I have a 3S , 7S , and a 10.5S.

The 7S looks and feels wider than an artisan 7C, but with a much more comfortable rim. The wider rim on the 7S may be causing this.To me it is only slightly smaller than the 3S.

The backbore is very open... almost too open. I believe a tighter backbore would help keep my lips from collapsing so much in the cup.This may be a case of me just having to get used to the more open blow (coming from a Reeves 41).

The 10.5S seems to be closer to published Bach specs in diameter
(.625-.630). I have a fairly recent 10.5D that is much wider than the new 10.5S.

The finish does leave a bit to be desired as some swirl marks are definitely visible. Not real bad, but should not be on a new mouthpiece.

Undecided on if these are keepers until I use them on a gig.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered both a 7MV and 5MV from Dillon Music, and the 7MV arrived yesterday. I haven't had a lot of time to play it yet, but initial impressions are:

1. It is quite shallow, even for a Modified V, but unlike other shallow pieces, I can actually play on this one for more than a minute, but It will take some getting used to.
2. The 7MV is very close in inside diameter to my ACB 5 and ACB 3DS mouthpieces.
3. The rim and bite are very comfortable...much more so than the Bach 7C and 5C and even 3C rims I've played.
4. I agree with others that the finish is merely OK.
5. On my Andalucia Phase II and my 1947 Olds Super, it is considerably brighter in tone than the ACB 3DS...which was expected.
6. Even though the Andalucia is a .469 bore, I don't feel that the Bach 7MV blow is too open...at least not so far.

I'm going to give it a work out at Big Band rehearsal tomorrow night and see how it really works for me, and will provide more info afterwards.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that Bach is making a new line of mouthpieces more or less to compete with Schilke and recently Schilke more or less made a new line to compete with Bach with their "Symphony Series" line. I'll probably try one of these new Bach pieces (10MV most likely) because it's always interesting to try new stuff. But for those that may not be aware, the Schilke Symphony Lead mouthpieces are very good, or at least the S5 I played for a while. Wish they had something with just a tad smaller diameter...

http://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/custom-series/#symphony-lead-trumpet
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering trying one of these, but after reading the reviews, I think I'll just stick with my Currys. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
unclewawa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Mark Bradley.
Mark - not to sabotage this discussion, but on the topic of Schilke Symphonic Lead mouthpieces that you mentioned, the read on them is that they are the sizes of Schilkes 13, 14 & 15 with a shallow cup and a tight backbore. That sounds to me like a 13A4A / 14A4A / 15A4A - right? What's the difference?

Thanks.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little disheartened that all the commercial/lead pieces being discussed are all characterised as being similar to the Schilke xA4a. I can't even get started with those shallow pieces, too much lip intrusion, and I'm not alone.

And I've seen way too many players fall into the trap of associating lead playing with really shallow pieces, then choosing pieces that are too shallow for them, and produce a tone that is really a big compromise because they feel it gives them some amount of additional range.

I was hoping from the start of this thread that these pieces might help players like me but it sounds like that's not the case.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I'm a little disheartened that all the commercial/lead pieces being discussed are all characterised as being similar to the Schilke xA4a. I can't even get started with those shallow pieces, too much lip intrusion, and I'm not alone.

And I've seen way too many players fall into the trap of associating lead playing with really shallow pieces, then choosing pieces that are too shallow for them, and produce a tone that is really a big compromise because they feel it gives them some amount of additional range.

I was hoping from the start of this thread that these pieces might help players like me but it sounds like that's not the case.

My 3MV is not similar to an A4A at all...the Bach rim is no where near as wide or as flat as the Schilke 4 rim and the backbore is not as tight as the Schilke.
Brassgurus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the commercial mouthpiece at our San Jose location. Come on down and try them.

Eric Hand
West Coast Band and Orchestra
DBA Peninsula Music and Repair
DBA Park Ave Music Center
1717 Park Ave
San Jose, Ca. 95126
408-279-5100 x722
eric@brassgurus.com
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I was considering trying one of these, but after reading the reviews, I think I'll just stick with my Currys. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

But, it says "lead" right on the box. I've seen the pictures.

That practically guarantees it comes with extra pre-installed high notes.

zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blech! The proverbial nickel with a hole in it.. more like the size of a Euro with a very "soft" rim - very easy to bottom out in both the 3S and 3MV. Way more extreme than I thought Bach would produce.

...sending theses back...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Blech! The proverbial nickel with a hole in it.. more like the size of a Euro with a very "soft" rim - very easy to bottom out in both the 3S and 3MV. Way more extreme than I thought Bach would produce.

...sending theses back...

My experience too. I am actually cancelling my order for the 3MV and sending the 3S back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptmindfk wrote:
Rich, About to receive a 3MV tomorrow. Yay! Do you know if anyone has tried these with drilled out throats? I ask because many players seem to prefer a 25 or 24 instead of the stock 27. I know most principal players using Bach mp on their C trumpets go to a 24 or 23 drill, not sure how this works on the Bb.

I do not know if anyone has but in our trumpet world someone will open the throat sooner or later as some folks like to try these things, etc...

Over the years I have also opened some pieces up to a 26, 25, 24 but for me, this feels great as a 27. ( my personal preference anyway )

As to the 3S or 3MV feeling a little wider than a 3C I think that has more to do with the softer inner bite on the rim, slightly different shaped rim than the actual inner diameter width. Based on that feel though I will say that even though I use a 3C in a classical setting, I prefer the 7MV for lead, commercial type playing.

Like all commercial trumpet mouthpieces or all mouthpieces for that matter, these will work amazing, good, or not so good depending on your own preferences, needs, chops, etc... I have seen a lot of people find one that is fantastic for them that works great for them.
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but have you tried the HornTrader 3CS-28? I can't do shallow, either, but this one works. (It's close to a 3C depth and has the sound you want for lead/commercial)
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

But, it says "lead" right on the box. I've seen the pictures.

That practically guarantees it comes with extra pre-installed high notes.

Yeah, but I already have a 13A4a with a drilled-out throat in a box somewhere...
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="groovinhigher"]
trptmindfk wrote:

As to the 3S or 3MV feeling a little wider than a 3C I think that has more to do with the softer inner bite on the rim, slightly different shaped rim than the actual inner diameter width. Based on that feel though I will say that even though I use a 3C in a classical setting, I prefer the 7MV for lead, commercial type playing.

Like all commercial trumpet mouthpieces or all mouthpieces for that matter, these will work amazing, good, or not so good depending on your own preferences, needs, chops, etc... I have seen a lot of people find one that is fantastic for them that works great for them.

Roger that Rich....since the 3MV does feel bigger on my chops...the 7MV may be the better choice. A top studio player buddy of mine always tells me to "ignore the specs on horns and mouthpieces...use what works for you"
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now the question needs to be asked: is the cup depth constant across 3, 5 and 7 rim sizes? Is it possible the 3 lets you bottom out more than the 5 or 7?
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclewawa wrote:
@ Mark Bradley.
Mark - not to sabotage this discussion, but on the topic of Schilke Symphonic Lead mouthpieces that you mentioned, the read on them is that they are the sizes of Schilkes 13, 14 & 15 with a shallow cup and a tight backbore. That sounds to me like a 13A4A / 14A4A / 15A4A - right? What's the difference?

Thanks.

To answer, the Schilke Symphony Series Lead S5 diameter-wise is close to the 13A4a on paper but feels completely different. I too have tried to drink the 13A4a/14A4a cool aid with abysmal results (I know a lot of people that play great with these models so more power to you). The S5 has a rounder more defined rim and is totally different from the XA4a-- different cup, backbore, blank. Yes it is pretty shallow but it still has a decent sound for a so called lead piece. Just wish they did it in a S7 or so. As I recall the S5 has a smaller feel as well... that soft rim of the XA4a's just doesn't jive with my chops. I'm somewhat surprised the S3 hasn't caught on for those that like that 3-ish size but I guess that particular field (a better 3C) is so cluttered it's easy to over look-- somewhat of a marketing gaff IMO-- Schilke bills them as a "symphony" piece and then calls it a lead model totally geared for a big band. That, like many other things in my world doesn't quite seem to jive either (i.e. my solos).

Oh-- I just ordered a Bach 10.5S and 10.5MV. Hope springs eternal....
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Bach MV 3C Commercial mouthpiece yesterday.

I was disappointed to feel how shallow it is. At first, it felt a lot like like the Bobby Shew #1. That is usually the kiss of death for me. I sound shrill and overly-bright, can play super-high for a few minutes, then it shuts down. I never got that whole "efficiency" thing that you have to have to play tiny mouthpieces.

But that didn't happen. Although I don't like the feel of such a shallow mouthpiece, something about the width or shape of the rim gave me enough to grab onto that I didn't bottom out. I played high and loud for an extended period of time with ease, great flexibility and a huge sound. It was only consideration for my wife in the other part of the house and natural fatigue that ended my session. No swollen chops or anything like that.

It does sound much brighter and piercing than I like in the middle and lower registers and at softer volumes. This makes me worry about those big band gigs where the audience complains about the band being too loud, and if I'll be able to blend and sound nice on soft tunes and section parts. But I think that has a lot to do with me being unaccustomed to a small mouthpiece. After a while, I was able to get a nicer sound.

I am cautiously-optimistic that I'll be able to use this mouthpiece when the next big-band lead or latin-band opportunity rolls around. I'm looking forward to it.

I can't help but feel this would REALLY be great if everything remained the same but the cup was little deeper. Maybe Bach will do something similar to what Yamaha did with the Shew mouthpieces. They came out with the 1.25 and 1.5 for players who wanted a little more room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: