• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Greg Black Rhodium Plating Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nichdelgado97

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Greg Black Rhodium Plating Mouthpieces Reply with quote

TLDR: If you have a severe silver/gold allergy, rhodium plating is a fantastic option!

Hello,

I am in no way a paid sponsor or artist for Greg Black Mouthpieces but wanted to comment on how his rhodium plating service is the real deal!

A quick backstory: I am an elementary instrumental music teacher but still practice often and gig whenever I can (the perks of teaching elementary ). I noticed that during my undergraduate studies 6 years ago, I was developing red lines under my lips and had a burning sensation/fatigue when I was playing my traditional silver plated mouthpiece. Fortunately the horn professor at my university has a silver allergy (he plays on titanium mouthpieces) and was able to informally diagnose me. I tried everything, plastic rim, gold plate, stainless steel (good the rim wasn't for me imo) and settled on an acrylic top setup for a few years.

I was happy with the acrylic setup but I prefer the sound and feel of an all metal setup (again imo). I ran across a popular video talking about rhodium plated mouthpieces on YouTube (jontalkstrumpet) and decided I'd give it a shot.

Greg Black is a class act. Very professional, great price and has a great turn around time for the plating. Rhodium itself is much harder than silver, so I know it will last a long time. There are claims that rhodium plate makes the mouthpiece more grippy, but I do not believe that is the case with my experience. It feels like a regular silver mouthpiece. The plating does not change the sound in any way either. Now I am having mouthpieces for multiple horns sent in for plating. He can plate over silver or gold mouthpieces!

I wanted to make this PSA for anyone who wasn't sure if it was worth the, "risk." This is a fantastic option for someone who has a severe silver allergy like myself.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Glad to hear that the rhodium plating worked for you. Theta Plate also does rhodium plate as a reasonable cost.

Unfortunately I had issues not only with silver and gold but also rhodium and stainless. Although less issues with the latter two.

I found that only full acrylic cups work.

It is exciting that you were able to find a metal that does not bother you.

Heather.
nichdelgado97

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your message! I have heard great things about Theta Plate.

Sorry to hear about your alternative solutions but I am glad that you enjoy the acrylic setup! Luckily we have many options these days.

I still have a few acrylic tops left that I intend to keep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: