• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Question of Vibrato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a vibrato I was very satisfied with. I did it with my lips/tongue as opposed to my arm/elbow.

My ability to play vibrato using my lips has not yet fully returned in as controlled a manner as I'd like. All I can get now is the fast Harry James style of vibrato, which is appropriate in some tunes, but decidedly inappropriate in others.

So, I "cheat" and use my elbow, which works very well to mimic the vibrato I used to attain using just my lips.

When I began my comeback, some three and a half months back, I couldn't play any vibrato at all, except of course using my elbow, which ultimately I would prefer not to do, simply because I liked the way I did it with my lips, not to disparage anyone who uses the elbow technique.

I'd like to ask the other comeback players how long it took for their vibrato to return using their lips if thats what they used in the past.

I'd also like to ask if you feel that the very controlled lip/tongue-generated vibrato will eventually return to me, given that I had none at all 3.5 months back and now I at least have the rapid Jamesian one.

Finally, it occurs to me that perhaps I ought to restrain myself from using my elbow in the hope that the absence of a pleasing lip/tongue-induced vibrato will "force" my vibrato to return of its own accord, simply because the ear wants to hear it, and will somehow coax it out of my hidden abilities buried deep in the comeback morass. Does anyone feel this might work?

Once again, I do not mean to disparage ANYone who uses the elbow technique, Doc uses this, for goodness sake, and he is certainly one of my favorite players of all time. It's just that mouth-generated vibrato is what I once used to good effect, and it's that which I seek to regain.

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-11-02 08:55 ]
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a comeback player, but I think your lip vibrato will come back to you if you are patient and practice it consistently. Personally, I use both hand and lip vibrato, depending on the effect I want. In that respect, I don't think theres anything wrong with using hand vibrato. Bear in mind good control of lip vibrato requires a pretty stong embouchure, so don't be surprised if it's not as good as it used to be if you've been away from the trumpet for a while. Give it time, and hopefully it'll get to where you are happy with it.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful what you wish for VP, I'm trying to get the vibrato out of my tone right now. I've got this almost subconscious vibrato, can't seem to turn it off without concentrating. It's OK, but there are times I want that clear tone, and this smarmy sounding quaver has got to go.
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto PLP. I have to concentrate to produce a straight tone.

Valvepimp, Have you tried the hand (right) vibrato instead of the elbow(???)? Whatever valve you have depressed, just lightly move your right hand back and forth (almost like you are massaging the valve buttons). Open, you do the same thing with the pinkie ring. To me it is far more controlable than using the left hand/arm (which I am assuming that you are talking about.)

I put the horn down for a shade over 12 years and within an hour the only areas that weren't in decent shape were range, tonguing (muy sluggish), and GLARINGLY endurance.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaser. Actually it was my right hand I was referring to. I said elbow, but in beginning the motion in my right elbow, I found this was able to make the hand movement ever so slight, and very controllable.

I'm happy to report, however, that my lip vibrato has shown itself in recent days, and I think it will return to what I'd like it to be within a few months.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know... I have always had the spastic vibrato problem. JUST this week I discovered what it is. It's AIR! My throat is manipulating the airstream to create resistance which makes my tone strong... but I'm constantly fighting for AIR... and the crazy thing is... I always have plenty of air. I just can't seem to get rid of it. Anyway... my cure has been blowing straight from the gut. It seems that the vibrato is happening because of tension in my throat. Old habits are hard to break. I was not even consciously aware that I had the problem, and I am so used to it that I can't hear it. Anyway... I hope this gives you food for thought. I think I'm going to be able to fix my problem.
Meg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: