• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Iderbinen Amarone : instruction of use !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patmikemeth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Iderbinen Amarone : instruction of use ! Reply with quote

Hi folks !
I've just bought a Inderbinen Amarone trumpet.
I'm going through an initial period of transition to this exceptional instrument, as it is not as straightforward as one might think, and certainly is absolutely a tool for real professionals (also the price it is ...)
The most important feature concerns its "tuning bell" combined with the use of the normal general intonation slide
The difficulty consists in finding the right mix between the two intonation systems.
By the time, I've made several tests and I have concluded that the pitch to 440 Hz is reached having always a total of about 3cm of total openness, that is the sum of the opening of the tuning bell with that of the main tuning slide. This measurement was obtained with my current mouthpiece Monette B4S3 stc standard.
This means you can fully close the main tuning slide and keep open 3 cm the tuning bell, or close it to zero, and open 1.5 cm the main tuning slide (up 1.5 + under 1.5 = total 3cm) obviously for the main pitch, all the intermediate combinations that are 3 cm in total are allowed.
All of the above is very interesting to understand the different behavior of the instrument in the two extreme positions and then find the right balance to our taste.
So, with the tuning bell to zero and tuning slide to 1.5 cm the trumpet has a more traditional feeling, a certain resistance - compression, and, above all, the harmonics of the upper register are well separated : in this case the sound is more a "sword laser " full of overtones despite a 14 cm bell, the low C (low register) becomes slightly increasing.
With the tuning bell to 3cm and main tuning slide to zero, things are very different and the harmonics of the Upper register become very close, and unstable. It has less resistance, more free blowing ( do someone remember gap effects ? ) and the sound becomes very thick, soft, much more "jazzy" and warm. The bad is that the high C is slightly flat and needs to be played with very fast air to return in place, this means that you may tend to play at a very high volume , whereas we should use more of the diaphragm.
So from these two extreme positions I personally found the current mix that actually works for me: tuning bell out of about 2 cm and tuning slide out of 0.5 cm (tot = 3cm)

I also could see that with Monette Prana B4S3 things on the upper register change (for the better), but at the moment as the Amarone is large bore (.468 = 11.89mm) I still want to study it a bit with the standard B4s3.
Therefore is obvious that this trumpet is also affected greatly, depending on the mouthpiece used

Well now I am curious if any other owner of a Inderbinen trumpet can confirm or deny what I have said, or tell us his experience.

Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several Inderbinens, great horns, but they are for the advanced player for sure! I don't practice as much as I used to due to my family situation, and find that a ML horn suits me better these days. But among the horns I've owned, Monettes, Larson, HvL,
Marcinkiewicz, Schilke, Eclipse, Taylor ao, the Inderbinen is superior!

I did not exeperiment too much with tuning, but I experienced sluggish first valve when the tuning bell was too far out!

The Inderbinen horns I've had was also very mouthpiece/gap sensitive, and I had problem with the high register with my Monette mouthpieces! I converted one for Reeves sleeves and that solved my problem!

Congratz with your new horn! Awesome
patmikemeth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a superior horn, it needs superior mouthpiece too. I think Monette prana fits much better than standards.
I'll try also mouthpieces with gap regulator like Jim New models.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the purchase. just keep blowing it, you have a long way just to settle into the instrument's resonance and response. playing with the tuning options will go right along with that.
enjoy the ride it should be a great one. i'm sure the horn is worth every shekel, and probably cheap at twice the price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: