• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Karl Hammond Design Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatOneSlime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Karl Hammond Design Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello, currently a high school trumpet player and am searching for a mouthpiece that could help darken up my sound, has anyone played a Hammond 5ML that could give a recommendation on it? How are the Hammond mouthpieces in general? Looking to replace the Yamaha 16C4 that came with my Xeno as it seems to give me a brighter sound than I would like.
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing Hammond mouthpieces for a while now. Karl is a great guy that makes some pretty great stuff. The 5ML will feel smaller than your Yamaha 16C4. The 5ML is a very comfortable rim to me. The 5ML also has a bit larger throat, however Karl's pieces have a nice balance to them. As for getting a darker sound, I'm not sure. I have a few Yamaha pieces and I feel the Hammonds have a more complex sound. Try the 4ML if you want to stay close in size to the Yamaha 16, or try the 5ML if you want to downsize a bit. I use the 4ML and some custom pieces with a 5 rim for commercial work.
ThatOneSlime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the 5 is supposed to be the darkest sound they have, and that's what I'm going for.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3ML, and it does seem to favor the lows in the sound. Call it dark if you will. It has an open blow, even though the dimensions don't seem big. Nice rim. Not enough bite for me. I can see that some players would like this setup. I can't make it work precisely because it takes the brilliance out of the sound. It might be a good choice for somebody that has a very bright sound.
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5ML is not his darkest piece. It's what Karl would tell you to try if you are wanting something similar to a 3C sized piece. The ML cup can be bright or dark as it is well balanced. The L cup would be darker than the ML.
Thattumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rim sizes really dont effect the sound much if at all, in my experience. Its all about cup shape, which in the hammond line stays pretty consistent throughout. If youre looking for an overall better sound with more color, complexity and depth, get the 4ml. If youre looking for an overall better sound with more color, complexity, and depth with better endurance, get the 5ml. I wouldnt go bigger than a 4 or smaller than a 5.. large changes could result in issues in your playing. Theyre great mouthpieces. I would lean more to the 5ml, as that rim size is a lot more versatile.. depending on the type of music youll be playing. Hope this helps!

All the best

Stephen
Pickett 7E
Thattumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kid in highschool does NOT need to be playing on an L cup. The ML cup is perfect to develop your playing on. L cup would promote bad technique in a young player.
Pickett 7E
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thattrumpetguy, I agree that generally a younger player should probably avoid something as deep as the L cup. However, I don't know this person's current ability. Just stating that the ML is not his darkest sounding piece. Dillon Music carries a trial policy and also has Hammond pieces at a slight discount right now. You could order the 5ML and the 4ML and have a few days to decide which one you like better and return the other.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thattumpetguy wrote:
A kid in highschool does NOT need to be playing on an L cup. The ML cup is perfect to develop your playing on. L cup would promote bad technique in a young player.

Because practicing and developing their abilities on deep mouthpieces absolutely ruined the careers of Herbert L. Clarke, Bohumir Kryl, J.B. Arban, Del Staigers, Jules Levy and Adolph Herseth...

To the OP: Why do you think you need to darken your sound? Has someone told you this, or is this your perception? And if it's someone else's opinion, is it really one you trust? Note that it is true that what the horn and tone sound like to you behind the bell, is different than how it sounds out front. But if it's someone else telling you that you need a darker sound, who is that person? Is he or she really an authority or is it someone along the lines of the High School band director who was an oboe player and hates the trumpet?

Although I picked on Thattumpetguy above for suggesting that a deeper mouthpiece "would promote bad technique" (if anything, the opposite is true), he does have a point about spending your developmental years playing on fairly middle-of-the-road equipment. Most importantly, now is not the time to be starting mouthpiece safaris. They only hinder progress. Find a good common sense mouthpiece (probably the one you have now) and stick with it and practice.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Mohan Reply with quote

John Mohan is absolutely correct. You might consider calling Karl directly. He will help you and may even answer the phone.

Here is an adage or two that may apply:

"make haste, slowly" and

"if it's not broke, don't fix it...or keep fixing it, until it is broke" (the bad grammar is not mine..the "saying" just goes like that)

Alan
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Karl! You are guessing at what you think you need. Karl has set up some of the world's finest players and will ask you questions no one here can.
Deeper mouthpieces are not necessarily "darker" whatever that really means. Quite frankly, most people have no clue what is dark and bright. If the piece is too big, you get too much lip in the cup which can actually raise the fundamental.
R. Tomasek
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a 5MLH with my C trumpet in college. It was the heavyweight blank and a slightly more open backbore. It was great for C, but sort of felt too big for my Bb at the time. I play a custom Hammond 5 for most everything outside of symphony orchestra these days, and have a 5MV I play with from time to time for something slightly different.

I really love the Hammond 5 rim, but personally did NOT like the Yamaha 16C4 at all. If you like the 16C4 currently (how it feels), then the Hammond 5 may not be for you.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sound is too bright on a 16C4?
DAAAAAYYYYUMMM!!!
Dude that's not cool. 16C4 is way to big for me, it's like a 1 1/4C Bach.
On that mouthpiece, you should have a huge, fat sound.... So huge that most would be better off with a 3C/ 14B size because of the support and endurance benefits.
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please call Karl and ignore (most) comments here. Karl makes great mouthpieces (been playing his stuff since 2008) He will offer quality advice and years of experience finding what players are looking for, and his solutions. Best advice I saw on this thread was stay middle of the road, dont go too big (ML is great, but consult Karl), and practice a lot under some professional guidance!
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone played on Karl's S cup? I'm wondering if it's a C cup or V cup?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Yamaha pieces but I don't love them, at least not for the Bb. On the picc and flugel I use and like Yamaha pieces. But for the Bb the Yamaha pieces I've used weren't satisfying. I much prefer the sound and response of the Bach pieces. Perhaps you should try a Bach 1.5C. The rim shape might be a bit of an adjustment, but you might like the sound better. To my ears there's more boom-sizzle if you know what I mean. The boom portion could satisfy your goal of darker and the sizzle keeps the tone lively. Great all-around piece if that rim size/shape works for you.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: