• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holy Crap!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Holy Crap!!! Reply with quote

I'm looking for an adjustable brace to try on one of my tuning bell horns, either between bell and leadpipe or on the tuning bow where there is none. I have/had one of these and can't find it, silver plated (NBD), generic- I think I got it from Larry Chamberlain (Yamaha) back in the early 90s. Anyway, my meeger search results find only one from Schilke at $173 plus change to use between bell and leadpipe. Without me spending hours searching, can someone steer me to the thing I still have but can't find?

(I play several Schilke trumpets, BTW, but some of their accessory stuff seems a bit over-priced. I needed a replacement tuning shank screw for my P5-4 that actually broke on stage as we were beginning Ravel Bolero a couple years back and I think I paid $26 for it. Too late for Bolere, but it also plays fine on the Bb side, as I quickly learned.)
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul Sound Post. 39.95 at Osmun.
https://osmun.com/kanstul-sound-post/

Drops 🎤
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horntrader might have one a little cheaper; this came up on a Google search, so I don’t know if it’s current/accurate:

http://www.horntrader.com/accessories-parts-cd-s-books/67-schilke-adjustable-tuning-bell-brace.html

Brad
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months back, I called Schilke to find out who would likely have one in stock for my C3Lb. He said he could mail me one if I wanted. He quoted me a price that was certainly less than $173. (I don't remember what the number was, but it seemed reasonable at the time. It was, however, considerably more than $40.) I got it in the mail 3 or 4 days later.

Did you actually call Schilke and ask for a price?
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the Schilke post is a superior design. The portion that attaches to the tuning slide allows you to adjust tuning on the spot much easier. The Kanstul post is fine if you "set it and forget it", but I play in situations where I need to adjust quickly and often to match vocalists, etc... The friction fit on both sides of the Kanstul posts makes that much more difficult, not to mention the chance of the whole shebang getting away from you. Also, the semi-permanent nature of the Schilke brace makes it nearly as effective as a stationary one.

I know that it's possible to use the tuning slide, but that negates the entire idea of the tuning bell, as I see it.

As I said, this is only my opinion and is not intended to find fault with Kanstul. I'm sure many people have good luck with them. I just feel that this is a situation where you do get what you pay for...

HTH - Cheers!

Ben
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for $25

http://www.jaegerbrass.com/products/accessories.html
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that I'd likely be willing to give away for free - I tried it on a Schilke B6, but the B6 is pretty balanced and doesn't really take well to hanging extra weight on it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, The price for the Schilke brace came off of a couple Ebay postings for new. I'd like to play around with one a bit, I did years back with the one I can't find.

I started out with a B3 I purchased from Ren ca 1969, had it converted to tuning bell in the late 70s when it was damaged during a rock band gig, then replaced it in the early 90s with another B3L after it and a flugel were stolen. 10 years back or so I picked up another B3 from the same era as my original (within 8 digits in the serial number, no less) and started playing around on it a couple months ago- I like it a lot and it seems more bright, if that term doesn't screw with everyone's mind around here...
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mkdrawing.com/product/trumpet-brace-universal/

$50
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: