• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bad experience with WWBW

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Bad experience with WWBW Reply with quote

Paypal feed back isn't enough--I want to let a wider audience know about my bad experience with Woodwind/Brasswind.

The transaction in question is actually a mouthpiece, but I decided to use this forum because it has a larger readership.

I used the BIN (Buy-it-Now) function on ebay to purchase a Bob Reeves 43M trumpet mouthpiece. They sent me a Jet Tone mouthpiece by accident.

I realize that these things happen, but when I asked that the correct item to be sent to me, WWBW said that I'd have to apply for a refund before they'd send me what I'd ordered.

As if I'd made the mistake instead of them!

So I have to go through the hassle of packing up the item that I didn't order and ship it back to them before they send out the one I DID order. The process is very complicated by design to discourage returns and to punish those who use it.

It will be weeks now before I get the mouthpiece I ordered---if ever.

It seems like to me that a company with good customer service would get the correct mouthpiece in the mail to me IMMEDIATELY and worry about getting the wrong one back at MY convenience.

This is my punishment for dealing with WWBW. Never again.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad experience with WWBW Reply with quote

markp wrote:
As if I'd made the mistake instead of them!

Well, you did purchase from them. If that isn't a mistake...
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we just have a "dissatisfied customer" thread about another company and a mouthpiece order?

For me, the customer service at WWBW is probably the best out there. They'll take just about anything back. They're always available to talk to you. They have at 45-day trial period on most of their merchandise. And when in doubt, they've always resolved things in favor of the customer. These are my experiences, of course. YMMV.

I'd probably be a little disappointed, too. They made a mistake. But they have a process, and they're willing to make things right.

Mark, did you ask them to ship the correct mouthpiece now, instead of waiting for the old one to be returned? I may be confusing a past purchase, but I believe they once did this for me. The only thing I had to do was put both purchases on my credit card, with a refund credited to me after they received the one I was returning. Give them a call back, and ask.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad experience with WWBW Reply with quote

markp wrote:
I used the BIN (Buy-it-Now) function on ebay to purchase a Bob Reeves 43M trumpet mouthpiece. They sent me a Jet Tone mouthpiece by accident.

I assume part of the reason is to prove you did get the wrong item and it came from them, and make sure they get their item back - there are a lot of people who have no qualms about working the system and pulling whatever they can get away with. Just a tracking number won't prove what's in the box you're sending to them. How much are they realistically going to be able to do about it if someone steals a small item from them? And how much in time and aggravation is it going to cost them?

There are a lot of opportunities for a business to be ripped off, they have to weigh pissing some customers off vs being pilfered to death by the unscrupulous. You should read some of the stories in the Ebay discussion boards about sellers getting ripped off and Ebay not backing them up.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:

Mark, did you ask them to ship the correct mouthpiece now, instead of waiting for the old one to be returned?
Mike

Yes I did. They said that they can't do "an exchange," as if I'd simply changed my mind about what I wanted and was capriciously asking for another choice instead.

I realize that this isn't a matter of life-and-death, but just want to suggest ways in which a vendor which does a huge volume of business with musicians could be more flexible and responsive.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to kick you while you're down, but in the name of balanced reporting . . .

I have dealt with WWBW for decades - pre internet even, and have had very, very few problems. I've ordered mouthpieces to try many times, horns to try out (and returned) as well as sundry items. I can remember only two incidents. That's a good track record.

Some of your complaints seem a bit impassioned for the moment.

WWBW said, "that I'd have to apply for a refund before they'd send me what I'd ordered." How is that a problem? Of course you have to go through the administrative motions of returning an item. I'm not sure what you might have expected. It's just an administrative process that takes a few moments.

"So I have to go through the hassle of packing up the item that I didn't order and ship it back to them before they send out the one I DID order." Hah, hah. If we were friends and having an in-person conversation, I'd just curl my face up and go, "Oh waaah", in a sympathetic, but teasing way. Packing a mouthpiece is a hassle? Really?

"The process is very complicated by design to discourage returns and to punish those who use it." What's so punishing about giving them a call and getting a return number from them, throwing the mpc in a padded envelope and tossing it into the mail?

Look on the bright side. They acknowledged their mistake and offered to make good. They are allowing you to return it, which in and of itself is not universal. And they're not charging you for the mistake.

I believe they should pay for return postage, since it was their mistake. Did you ask them about that?

I'm not meaning to be harsh when you obviously would rather have some sympathetic feedback, but I think that when you give it a little time, you'll be able to shrug your shoulders a bit over this.

Did they screw up? Yep. Are you justified in being upset? Yep? But is it really this big of a deal?

You're a good guy and I always enjoy your posts. I'm sure this will all look better in the morning.

Go listen to Miles' "Blue in Green" and all will be well.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Don't want to kick you while you're down, but in the name of balanced reporting . . .

I have dealt with WWBW for decades - pre internet even, and have had very, very few problems. I've ordered mouthpieces to try many times, horns to try out (and returned) as well as sundry items. I can remember only two incidents. That's a good track record.

Some of your complaints seem a bit impassioned for the moment.

WWBW said, "that I'd have to apply for a refund before they'd send me what I'd ordered." How is that a problem? Of course you have to go through the administrative motions of returning an item. I'm not sure what you might have expected. It's just an administrative process that takes a few moments.

"So I have to go through the hassle of packing up the item that I didn't order and ship it back to them before they send out the one I DID order." Hah, hah. If we were friends and having an in-person conversation, I'd just curl my face up and go, "Oh waaah", in a sympathetic, but teasing way. Packing a mouthpiece is a hassle? Really?

"The process is very complicated by design to discourage returns and to punish those who use it." What's so punishing about giving them a call and getting a return number from them, throwing the mpc in a padded envelope and tossing it into the mail?

Look on the bright side. They acknowledged their mistake and offered to make good. They are allowing you to return it, which in and of itself is not universal. And they're not charging you for the mistake.

I believe they should pay for return postage, since it was their mistake. Did you ask them about that?

I'm not meaning to be harsh when you obviously would rather have some sympathetic feedback, but I think that when you give it a little time, you'll be able to shrug your shoulders a bit over this.

Did they screw up? Yep. Are you justified in being upset? Yep? But is it really this big of a deal?

You're a good guy and I always enjoy your posts. I'm sure this will all look better in the morning.

Go listen to Miles' "Blue in Green" and all will be well.

You're right about everything (especially about me being a good guy).

I just needed a hug.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hugging lamp is now lit.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: why Reply with quote

Why is it that when someone shares a really bad experience with a retailer, or an instrument company on TH there is always someone who feels it a duty, to discredit the poster and tell of their every positive experience, as if the poster is either guilty of being unreasonable, lying, or simply stupid. I mean, these posts are meant to inform others of bad business dealing or flat out incompetence.
A number of years ago, I had some expensive work done by someone who some tout as being a real heavyweight craftsman. Really, like an icon.
Although the work was so off, so poor, that other people in the field shook their heads in wonder at how bad and how incorrect the work was
I was slaughtered here by his loyal followers. I had the work redone, by eye so to speak, and it was infinitely closer.
I posted to alert players to be careful, to be mindful, as a help.
So thanks for the heads, OP.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: why Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
Why is it that when someone shares a really bad experience with a retailer, or an instrument company on TH there is always someone who feels it a duty, to discredit the poster and tell of their every positive experience, as if the poster is either guilty of being unreasonable, lying, or simply stupid. I mean, these posts are meant to inform others of bad business dealing or flat out incompetence.

I don't think anyone was calling the original poster out on being unreasonable, lying or being stupid nor is anyone trying to discredit.

In my humble opinion, I think many people may step up to the plate to defend a company/person who has made a mistake with a customer simply because it isn't all bad and there have been many many more satisfied customers than dissatisfied.

A company that does as much volume in sales as WWBW must have a standard procedure to follow to correct mistakes, even if it means annoying a few people in the process. I'm actually one of those few right now - I had to return (to another company) a mouthpiece with defective plating so it could be exchanged. I don't know when I will get what I ordered. I don't know if I will be reimbursed for the return postage. So I know what the OP is going through. But I also know I have had many positive experiences with this company, so I'm not complaining.

We must bear in mind that no company anywhere in history has ever gotten everything 100% right for every single customer. There has always been someone somewhere who hasn't had a good experience, and with reputable businesses or businesses that have a long track record, such instances of dissatisfaction have been relatively few and far between.

Also keep in mind that if the only reviews ever posted were negative and no one ever shared positive experiences informing others that the company really is a good company, then we would only see the negativity of the few bad experiences out there. Those bad experiences would become a generality of opinion, rather than an exception, and we would all suffer for it in the end as the businesses eventually fold.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: why Reply with quote

mcgovnor, are you sure maybe you're not being a bit oversensitive to any injustice perceived by you when someone - anyone - complains about problems with merchants because of a bad taste left in your own mouth when you tried the same thing in the past and were somewhat savaged in the process? Not a knee-jerk reaction here, perhaps?

If I attempted to discredit the OP, please show me how I did that, so I can correct it and avoid it in the future. Please show me how I stated that "the poster is either guilty of being unreasonable, lying, or simply stupid."

Do I feel a "duty" to discredit the poster? Of course not. Why on earth would I? But in an open forum where we exchange experiences, I do feel it appropriate to also add my experiences with a merchant in question so that people can draw a balanced opinion.

And while I might give the pros and cons of my experiences, I don't believe I've selectively chosen to use only "[my] every positive experience", but rather a summary of all my experiences, good and bad, whatever they may be.

I think the OP accepted my comments in the positive spirit in which they were given. Maybe you can, too.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I was cheated by WWBW. I said I would never go back and will be happy when they close the doors forever.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: I Reply with quote

In response to to the posts following my first, my emotions had nothing to do with the situation I described and emotion has nothing to do with what I've posted here thus far.
When someone is willing to post here regarding poor workmanship, qualified as such, poor treatment by sales staff working for major companies, shady practice regarding returns, etc., it's someting to be thankful for. It's not necessarily a slur or negative eveluation of the entire operation, but the sounding of an alarm to beware, and use discrimination when communicating and deciding what and where to do.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mistakes happen, and even the
very best businesses with great customer service and efficient and correct transactions can make mistakes. I take no pleasure in saying this, but my recent experience with WWBW (and by recent I mean within the last few years) has caused me to take them off my list of suppliers. Incorrect orders, orders shipped to totally wrong addresses (they once shipped a mouthpiece I ordered to a nearby Target store), indifferent and rude customer service reps, their salespersons taking my order by phone and assuring me the item is in stock, (and shortly thereafter sending a "backordered item" email), a horn shipped badly damaged, damage which absolutely could not have happened in shipping, salespeople who obviously do not know the difference between a trumpet and a pterodactyl...... . I'm originally from the Chicago area, many years ago WWBW was a great place to go try a large selection of horns. Of course now they no longer have a brick and mortar location. And I don't criticize them for closing their show room, the Internet has done that to a lot of businesses. What I criticize them for is all the above.

Years ago they were great place to buy horns and accessories, but unfortunately they are not the same company now.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: I Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
In response to to the posts following my first, my emotions had nothing to do with the situation I described and emotion has nothing to do with what I've posted here thus far.
When someone is willing to post here regarding poor workmanship, qualified as such, poor treatment by sales staff working for major companies, shady practice regarding returns, etc., it's someting to be thankful for. It's not necessarily a slur or negative eveluation of the entire operation, but the sounding of an alarm to beware, and use discrimination when communicating and deciding what and where to do.

+1

Brad
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that you bought the item thru eBay. I have had this exact situation several times with WWBW (their warehousing processes don't work very well) and they have always just sent the replacement immediately. However, I had bought directly from them thru their website. Perhaps there is something about buying from them thru eBay that complicates the red tape.

Or maybe their policies have changed.

-John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of years ago, I ordered an E-flat trumpet to try, and a few days later a Conn 88H trombone showed up on my doorstep. I called them and of course they were apologetic and had me send it back, free, etc, but they had sold the E-flat I wanted. Or maybe sent it out to the guy who ordered the trombone. Sigh.

Anyway, customer service was fine post-mortem but it was a funny problem to have. It seems like most brick-and-mortars have reconciled their practices to compete with WWBW, so I guess I don't see the point anymore.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had issues with WWBW customer service in the past.

However, asking you to ship the item back before they do an exchange is not at all out of line. What IS out of line is expecting to keep the mistaken item and get a different item at not cost to you. Ship the item back, follow their procedure. If they DON"T take care of you then (which was my experience), then you have a legitimate beef.

Good customer service is not just being available. Good customer service is taking care of the customer and making it right when things go wrong. (Again- my experience was NOT this).

Last edited by tpter1 on Thu May 05, 2016 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: why Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
Why is it that when someone shares a really bad experience with a retailer, or an instrument company on TH there is always someone who feels it a duty, to discredit the poster and tell of their every positive experience, as if the poster is either guilty of being unreasonable, lying, or simply stupid.

I can only speak for my reply, which did none of these things. I expressed surprise, given the more than 2 dozen positive experiences I've had with WWBW. I empathized with the OP, while giving a realistic summary of the situation. And I suggested a course of action.

Mike
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that you bought the item thru eBay. I have had this exact situation several times with WWBW (their warehousing processes don't work very well) and they have always just sent the replacement immediately.

I had a similar experience, which I mentioned in my first reply. I'm pretty sure they sent the correct item immediately. The only thing I had to do was put both purchases on my credit card, with a refund credited to me after they received the one I was returning.

Maybe their policy has changed. Maybe it's an "eBay thing". Or maybe the customer service rep didn't realize he/she could do this for the OP.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: