• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Natural/Synthetic Valve oils

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..my sample of Fat Cat is on the way. I always assumed that Blue Juice was synthetic all the way. After looking at there site info..maybe I was wrong. I mean..it has worked pretty good for me. Both BJ and Binka have interesting developmental stories.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Tried Fat Cat. The folks there have been helpful and promptly sent me a nice little sample bottle. To my eye, it seems a tad thicker than most I've seen. Initially, the valves worked very smooth..as smooth as any I've used. On a gig, I still had to re-apply after a set. I think it's just that any little speck of anything on precision valves can cause sticking and seems impossible to avoid sometimes. Overall..I will stick with this brand for now. At least it is a high quality natural oil..which was my goal.

I wonder if over time I will experience any buildup in the valves from using natural? Never the case with Blue Juice. (except for that gross puddle of blue milky stuff always at the cap bottom). Read an article that detergents can actually cause lubricants to move away from valves...still worked pretty good though. Perhaps I might go back to BJ in the near future and see how it goes...or try a few other new brands. Hey! It's oil safari time!
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Cass for new horns, and unscented lamp oil for older horns. The lamp oil, at about $2 a quart, works great on all of my horns. You can use old Al Cass bottles by pulling out the nipple with a pair of needle-nosed pliers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: