• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2335 WOW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: 2335 WOW Reply with quote

Just received a Yamaha 2335 in very good condition that I bought online, unseen.

After reading good reports online I thought it would make a good practice instrument.

First blow was a little disappointing. Very stuffy on the lower notes.

Then I wanted to see if there was any Red Rod in the Lead pipe. I only could see half way through.

Got my cleaning kit out and brushed out some nasty, brown 'leavy' stuff that was all in the instrument from the mouthpiece receiver to the entrance in the 3rd valve.

Got it all cleaned out. Now the instrument looks super clean inside again.

Took it to practice this afternoon and MAN was I blown away. That cheapy trumpet can play good and sound great. Notes lock in easily and pitch is pretty good too.

I know, it got a pretty bright sound, but then some people need/want a bright sound.

Instrument responds well to mouthpiece change. With an ACB Lead or ACB TA2 I can peal the paint of the wall. And when using my ACB FX I can sound like a Fluegel on it.

It's pretty fun to play on in.

Best part is: I paid less for the trumpet then the mouthpiece (GR) I used on it.

Serial Number is in the upper 86xxxx, so I guess it must been build around 2012
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing

Last edited by Dieter Z on Thu May 26, 2016 8:39 am; edited 2 times in total
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that is what i'm 'talkin 'bout Willis !!!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the Indian, not the arrow. Time you spent on cleaning the horn was the break you needed from strenuous exercise.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2335 WOW Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
Just received a Yamaha 2335 in very good condition that I bought online, unseen.

After reading good reports online I thought it would make a good practice instrument.

Then I wanted to see if there was any Red Rod in the Lead pipe. I only could see half way through.

Got my cleaning kit out and brushed out some nasty, brown 'leavy' stuff that was all in the instrument from the mouthpiece receiver to the entrance in the 3rd valve.

Took it to practice this afternoon and MAN was I blown away. That cheapy trumpet can play good and sound great. Notes lock in easily and pitch is pretty good too.

I know, it got a pretty bright sound, but then some people need/want a bright sound.

Instrument responds well to mouthpiece change. With an ACB Lead or ACB TA2 I can peal the paint of the wall. And when using my ACB FX I can sound like a Fluegel on it.

Best part is: I paid less for the trumpet then the mouthpiece (GR) I used on it.

I have a YCR-2330ii cornet and it's a great little player.

Someone told me, and I don't know how true this is, that the major difference in quality between pro instruments and student instruments is valve quality. So if you get one with good, tight valves, you can have a great instrument on your hands!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say about valves is very true, unless you like your valves the way Rafael Mendez did, that is, leaky.
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2335 WOW Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Dieter Z wrote:

Someone told me, and I don't know how true this is, that the major difference in quality between pro instruments and student instruments is valve quality. So if you get one with good, tight valves, you can have a great instrument on your hands!

Yes! I just replaced pistons on a 2335 under warranty, and the replacement nickel pistons from Yamaha come slightly oversized. They happened to fit VERY nicely without any lapping, and the horn just popped. So when one of these can be found with very tight pistons, take it! The older 2335's before the Chinese production 200AD trumpets are much better quality.

Bach LR19043B B-flat
Blackburn converted Bach C
Kanstul CC920 Piccolo
Blessing XL Flugelhorn
J.W. York and Sons Perfec-Tone B-flat/A Cornet
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn says: Made in Japan.

No leakage: valves work smoothly and the compression test gives off a nice pop.

Just wondering what material the valves are made off. They are 'silver' shinny.
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2335 WOW Reply with quote

C.E.Divine wrote:
Turkle wrote:
Dieter Z wrote:

Yes! I just replaced pistons on a 2335 under warranty, and the replacement nickel pistons from Yamaha come slightly oversized. They happened to fit VERY nicely without any lapping, and the horn just popped. So when one of these can be found with very tight pistons, take it! The older 2335's before the Chinese production 200AD trumpets are much better quality.

As a follow-up, I play a student model Yamaha flugel from the '70s as my main flugel. The valves have had a complete rebuild. It is an utterly amazing horn. Everyone who plays it tries to buy it from me! I paid $400 for the thing and wouldn't trade it for any brand-new flugel of any make.
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
Horn says: Made in Japan.

No leakage: valves work smoothly and the compression test gives off a nice pop.

Just wondering what material the valves are made off. They are 'silver' shinny.

Those are nickel plated. Yamaha used those on all student models until recently. Keep them oiled well and clean. When neglected slightly, the plating has a tendency to bubble. Yamaha didn't do such a great job playing them compared to other nickel plated pistons like Getzen. It's why I had to replace the ones in the horn I mentioned above. I would recommend switching to a synthetic oil like hetman #2. It seems to keep the pistons cleaner and stays on them longer, which will protect them better.

Bach LR19043B B-flat
Blackburn converted Bach C
Kanstul CC920 Piccolo
Blessing XL Flugelhorn
J.W. York and Sons Perfec-Tone B-flat/A Cornet
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.E.Divine wrote:

Those are nickel plated. Yamaha used those on all student models until recently. Keep them oiled well and clean. When neglected slightly, the plating has a tendency to bubble. Yamaha didn't do such a great job playing them compared to other nickel plated pistons like Getzen. It's why I had to replace the ones in the horn I mentioned above. I would recommend switching to a synthetic oil like hetman #2. It seems to keep the pistons cleaner and stays on them longer, which will protect them better.

Thanks for the tip.

Hetman # 2 is my main oil at the moment besides Trent Austin's Special oil.
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use my 2330 (1995) as a demo horn in my middle school band classes and it's a great player still. Easy, sweet sound.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: