• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

4 valve flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Getzen 4 valve flugelhorn on ebay. The text say the 4th valve offers alternate fingerings and extended range.

I get the alternate fingering (although I don't know what the combinations are) - which I assume can give you easier fingering and/or better intonation.

What's with the extended range?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4th valve gives you the possibility of playing an F below the stave (4 + 1), E (1,2,4) and onwards down to the pedal C.
I have a Getzen 4 valve and can use it effectively down to double pedal C - I love it!
You can accompany tuba students at their pitch!!!

Something I am hoping to have added on in the next year or so are some triggers - with luck three of them, on 1st, 3rd and 4th valves. Not only should this improve the intonation of the instrument (which is not bad, but could be better) but they should make the pedal notes slightly more reliable.

If the price is right, go for it - learning how to use a 4th valve is great fun!

Just when you thought your thrid finger was the weak one, wait until you start using your 4th!!
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought much about using the fourth finger, but now that I look at it, it is a LOT shorter - at least an inch shorter than the other three - I'll bet that would present a problem.
Shaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CD by Sergei Nakariakov titled "From Moscow(or Russia? I dont remember) With Love" in which Sergei plays three different pieces written by Russian composers. One of the pieces is a French Horn sonata that he plays on a four valve flugelhorn! It's really interesting stuff. The first note Is a pedal C I think... can't be sure though, but you can tell he's using that 4th valve. It sounds way to good to be a regular pedal C. I suppose a 4th valve would be handy if you ever have to cover a french horn part or something. Anyways, you should try to get ahold of that CD; I really think Sergei is under-rated... but that's another topic!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need 4 valves to play a good pedal C on flugelhorn -- that note sounds nicely on every 3-valve flugelhorn I've ever played, and my pedal C on trumpet is pretty bad.

As far as discovering how weak your fourth finger is... can't you use the index finger of your left hand? I use my left index finger for the fourth valve on my Getzen picc -- is there something about holding a four-valve flugelhorn that would prevent you from using the left index finger?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use your laft hand, I have just found that my coordination is so poor when doing that it is better for me to use my right hand.
There is nothing preventing you with the design of the instrument.

The pedal C on most flugels is fantastic - the problem comes when you want to go up the scale accurately - the D is not always as easy.
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 valve flugels I've played naturally play down to an F# below the staff (like a trumpet). Then skip down to a pedal C and play down to the pedal F# below it (I say "pedal" because that is the term you would use on trumpet, but it slots cleanly - definitely a note that is "on the horn").

So if I understand this properly, the 4th valve fills in the gap between low F# and pedal C (F, E, D#, D, C#).

How about the notes below the pedal F# - does it take you down to double pedal C?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below pedal F# - works for me!

The tuning is not the greatest in the world (but hey - if you want in tune down there - get a euphonium!) but that should all be solved when the triggers are added.

So far I have taken it down to the F below double pedal C (2 octaves below the normal low F that appears in Carmen!). Just haven't yet had the inclination (or time) to try any lower. I will try during tomorrow (in between rehearsing Handel and Bach!) and let you know the results.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know of any music written specifically for the 4-valve Flugelhorn, or that works especially well with a 4-valve? I hate to admit it, but I am the one that purchased this Flugel.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: