• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Working on Any Christmas Music Yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WUG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posing a question to any comebackers to see if they started shedding any Christmas charts yet, what they were playing and whether or not they felt up for the challenge yet. Alot of "retired" musicians make their "comebacks" by the request to support the church as an instumentalist, especially for Christmas,and that gets the musical interests going again.

At our church, the comebacker trumpets as well as the regulars are working on a musical with the choir called "Fear Not." Beautiful music and it looks like it will be a blast to play.

W.U.G.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My church usually has a music of Chistmas program, with a pick-up up band that plays carols on the way in. I'll probably do some version of "Wachet Auf" for an offertory during advent and tack a few descants on the Christmas hymns, with another adult player in the congregation. I'd like to do more, but I'm conducting the handbell choir, too ... this day job is really getting in the way of my music ...

I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing as well ... to get some ideas for next year!

Steve

[Edit: Oh yeah ... my major currently scheduled peformance goal in the forseeable future will be doing "The Trumpet Shall Sound" at Easter with our choir director. He's got the voice for it, I have some work to do!]

"Please! Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

[ This Message was edited by: swthiel on 2003-11-06 21:54 ]
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trumpet shall Sound was the last piece I performed in public, as part of the orchestra for the community choir's performance of the Messiah, back in 1981. If I had a sound clip, I would post it, but thankfully no one recorded it, so you will have to figure out what to do wrong all by yourself. To hear what to do right (other than not doing it on picc) get the Maurice Andre CD aptly named 'The Trumpet Shall Sound'. A great recording by one of the premier classical performers.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-08 01:19, plp wrote:
<Snip> To hear what to do right (other than not doing it on picc) get the Maurice Andre CD aptly named 'The Trumpet Shall Sound'. A great recording by one of the premier classical performers.
Already there! I realized a couple of months ago that my CD library was really short of legit solo trumpet work, so I picked up the Andre CD ... I highly recommend it as well. I just picked up Phil Smith's "Orchestral Excerpts for Trumpet" and highly recommend that CD as well. I couldn't find it in my usual haunts, so I ordered it directly from Summit Records:
http://www.summitrecords.com/

I will almost certainly perform it on my usual trumpet set-up (= my only trumpet set up!), Bach 37 ML Bb trumpet, Bach 1.5C mouthpiece ... since that's what I've got!

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: